1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Is It Possible To Get A 45 On Your MCAT?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by IWant2BeADoctor, Feb 28, 2007.

1. IWant2BeADoctor

IWant2BeADoctor License to Matriculate
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Is it possible to get a 45? I heard it's not possible since your performance is rated based on the performance of others on the test but I'm not sure.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. MirrorTodd

MirrorTodd It's a gas.
    Physician 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Sure, you just have to get every question right.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. premed2007

premed2007 MS-IV
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    exactly.

4. johnnydrama

johnnydrama I'm no Superman
    10+ Year Member

This is a repeat, should be merged with the identical post from a day or two ago.

5. MirrorTodd

MirrorTodd It's a gas.

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Nah, we can always use more threads around here right?;)

6. etf

etf
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

it sure beats the threads from people claiming to have acheived this feat and still wondering what their chances are with it and their 3.9 gpa, at their (non-california) state medical school.

7. byong_soo

byong_soo Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    yes but you prolly won't get it

8. OP
    OP
    IWant2BeADoctor

IWant2BeADoctor License to Matriculate
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Kumar, in Harold and Kumar go to White Castle makes this claim too, though I think his holds more water.:D

9. LeafNinja

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You mean Ahmed the terrorist from 24?

10. searun

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes, absolutely, it has been done, by perhaps 20 people in the history of the world, but you and I are not going to run a sub 3:50 mile not matter how much we try. However, I have been below 5 minutes for the mile. What about you?

11. RPedigo

Physician Faculty Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    It also depends on which test you get-- if everyone does extremely well on your test form, it may not be possible to give a 45 since the scores are all too high, and multiple people got 100%.

12. LeafNinja

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    YES IT IS DEFINITELY POSSIBLE TO GET A 45. YOU MUST PREPARE VERY WELL. IF YOU AIM FOR A 45 WHILE YOU ARE PREPARING, YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED BY YOUR SCORE WHEN YOU GET IT, EVEN IF IT IS NOT A PERFECT!

DISCLAIMER: you might actually be very disappointed...i cannot guarantee happiness. Anything is possible though...

13. sejin8642

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I got another question. Is there any examinee who got 45T on MCAT?

14. UMP

UMP Recovered Under-Achiever
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i don't think there have been any 45's since the MCAT got restructured about 7 years ago... it takes a lot of luck to get that score. Once you get over the higher 30s mark the scores don't mean anything because it is a random question here or there

15. LifetimeDoc

LifetimeDoc EM Attending

Attending Physician
    Yes, and it's possible to get above a 45...if you're Chuck Norris! :D :laugh:

16. Metatemujin

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I hear this assessment a lot. That past the higher 30s it becomes a matter of luck. I don't agree with it. Even though I do agree that luck plays a role, yet I feel one can consistently score a 14 in the sciences and a 13 in the verbal. This is why I think that luck only becomes a major factor after a 41, and yet if someone is hardcore enough, luck will only be a small factor up into a 43.

17. BeatrixKiddo

BeatrixKiddo Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Chuck Norris got a 50 on the MCAT. On his first try. Without any prep courses.

18. UMP

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    a difference between a 38 and a 41 is usually three questions... I was scoring 14-15 in BS consistently on my practice tests and got a 12, and I was scoring 11's on VR and got a 13... i definitely attribute that to luck. But I think people who consistently score over 40 on practice tests (I only did that once) might tend to disagree with me

19. go lakers

go lakers Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    my TPR bio instructor got one apparently. he got a 15, 13-15, and 15. he's UCSF bound now.

20. UMP

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    UCSF bound ? his MCAT score must have expired (they don't use the VR 13-15 range anymore) That must have really sucked to have a perfect score expire for med school admissions :eek:

21. smuwillobrien

smuwillobrien Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    You should worry about getting 30 or above, and if 45 happens, then it happens. ;]

22. YupGypsy

YupGypsy Banne*d for Tr*olling
    10+ Year Member

I have 45

23. DCDAWG

DCDAWG Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Yeah, the 13-15 verbal thing expired years ago. I dont think any med schools accept scores that are that old now.

24. Darksmurf

Darksmurf I'm the boy smurf
    7+ Year Member

I ran a mile in 4:59 once. I came in fifth in that race. Come to think of it, I came in fifth in every single mile race I've run. What's that about?

25. MirrorTodd

MirrorTodd It's a gas.

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    So how do they score the verbal now? Or was that a joke?

26. soeagerun2or

soeagerun2or Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

It doesn't count when you add your scores together when you've taken it twice :rolleyes:

27. NoktorNoL

NoktorNoL Member
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    The highest possible MCAT score that one could get on the test I took (8/05) was a 44 - if you got all the questions right on the BS section you [only :laugh: ] got a 14...

28. Lorienne7

Lorienne7 Austenophile
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Right, it depends on the exam. For the April 06 exam, the highest score possible was a 44 too (15 on BS/PS, 14 on V). With the way verbal is curved, it's probably really tough to get a 15, but it's usually possible to ace the other sections (at least in theory ;) ).

29. YupGypsy

YupGypsy Banne*d for Tr*olling
    10+ Year Member

in that case I have a 90.

30. gujuDoc

10+ Year Member

Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
    Is it possible? Yes. Has it ever happened? No.

What's the highest that has been recorded? 43!!

What amount of people got that at the most in a given test administration 2 out of more then 28000-37000 students in the old way of doing things.

You can see the chances of getting a 45 are very very very slim.

Study like that's what you are aiming for but be happy with anything 30 and above or 33+ if you are aiming for a top tier.

31. atomi

atomi Member
    Removed Account on Hold 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

I thought he was admitted straight out of middle school with no MCAT???

32. JohnMadden

JohnMadden Political Refugee
    2+ Year Member

If 45 were impossible, it wouldn't be in the range of scores...

I think it's harder to get a 3 than a 45...

33. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'd say there's a pretty minimal difference between a 39 and a 43 - that's only a few questions, some of which you might read a little differently than intended, etc. Plus, the curve for VR gets really, really steep. The difference between a 12 and a 15 is very few questions.

34. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Isn't the lowest a 6J? I thought you could get at least a 2 in any section. And I think I could have done that - you can almost always rule 1-2 options out immediately for being ridiculous.

35. rickthetwinkie

rickthetwinkie Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Because of the debate on whether or not they could make verbal questions of the difficulty to distinguish between 13-15, if you scored in that range, they reported your verbal score as a 13-15 as opposed to a 13, 14, or a 15. Recently(I'm not sure how long ago it was), they decided to allow scores of 14 and 15 on the verbal. So, no, it wasn't a joke.:p

36. SurgeonUFO

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I heard that Kaplan and TPR structured their courses around how Chuck Norris took the test.

37. Jejton

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Is that what you were told to make you feel better? :smuggrin:

38. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    okay, tell us about your 42.

39. Yehosh

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Sure, its the answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything

40. Stolenspatulas

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    you can get a 45 if there is a test version that has a very difficult verbal section.

the verbal can be scored out of 13, 14, 15, depending on how many people rail it. if virtually no one rails it and you get all the questions right, theres your 15.

then all you have to do is 15 the other two sections. done.

41. Severus

Severus FTSM!

Resident [Any Field]

Pffffffffffttt... piece of cake. :cool:

42. JohnMadden

JohnMadden Political Refugee
    2+ Year Member

Each section is scored 1-15. In theory, for every person who scores a 15, there would have to be someone who scores a 1 (Normal distribution). I think your statement gives credence to my thought that a 3 is "harder" to get than a 45.:D

43. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't think there's any scaling to be done if you get every. single. question wrong. People have definitely gotten in the single digits before, and that's most likely because they're the opposite of intelligent, so if someone intelligent intended to do poorly, they could.

44. gujuDoc

10+ Year Member

Yeah but the odds of getting a 1 in a given section are lower then getting a 15 in a given section on the basis that even if you guess the whole way through by picking one letter for all your answers you'd still probably get slightly higher then a 1 based on simple probability rules.

That said, I know someone who personally got a single digit total score with a 2 being their lowest section and the other sections not being that much higher.

45. booji

booji Member
    7+ Year Member

Yeah...a 50th percentile.

It is possible to get a 45. You just need to get everything right in verbal and almost everything right in PS and BS. (You might be able to miss one or two questions at maximum, depending on the scale). The likelihood that one will achieve that is probably equivalent to the likelihod that someone will prove (with resolute evidence) the existence of an anti-graviton (given our current technology).

46. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    But I'm not saying that I'd be guessing my way through - you'd get 1/5 of them right if you picked C for every question, but I had a 35, so I got the vast majority right. Even on the questions I got wrong, I probably could have shown you 1-2 answers that I knew were wrong, it was just the other 2-3 I couldn't choose between. I think I could have intentionally gotten every question wrong.

47. gujuDoc

10+ Year Member

Huh? Yeah I know your score. I was just talking about a theoretical situation.