Is It Possible To Get A 45 On Your MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IWant2BeADoctor

License to Matriculate
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to get a 45? I heard it's not possible since your performance is rated based on the performance of others on the test but I'm not sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kumar, in Harold and Kumar go to White Castle makes this claim too, though I think his holds more water.:D

Yes, absolutely, it has been done, by perhaps 20 people in the history of the world, but you and I are not going to run a sub 3:50 mile not matter how much we try. However, I have been below 5 minutes for the mile. What about you?

YES IT IS DEFINITELY POSSIBLE TO GET A 45. YOU MUST PREPARE VERY WELL. IF YOU AIM FOR A 45 WHILE YOU ARE PREPARING, YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED BY YOUR SCORE WHEN YOU GET IT, EVEN IF IT IS NOT A PERFECT!

DISCLAIMER: you might actually be very disappointed...i cannot guarantee happiness. Anything is possible though...

I got another question. Is there any examinee who got 45T on MCAT?

i don't think there have been any 45's since the MCAT got restructured about 7 years ago... it takes a lot of luck to get that score. Once you get over the higher 30s mark the scores don't mean anything because it is a random question here or there

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't think there have been any 45's since the MCAT got restructured about 7 years ago... it takes a lot of luck to get that score. Once you get over the higher 30s mark the scores don't mean anything because it is a random question here or there

I hear this assessment a lot. That past the higher 30s it becomes a matter of luck. I don't agree with it. Even though I do agree that luck plays a role, yet I feel one can consistently score a 14 in the sciences and a 13 in the verbal. This is why I think that luck only becomes a major factor after a 41, and yet if someone is hardcore enough, luck will only be a small factor up into a 43.

I hear this assessment a lot. That past the higher 30s it becomes a matter of luck. I don't agree with it. Even though I do agree that luck plays a role, yet I feel one can consistently score a 14 in the sciences and a 13 in the verbal. This is why I think that luck only becomes a major factor after a 41, and yet if someone is hardcore enough, luck will only be a small factor up into a 43.

a difference between a 38 and a 41 is usually three questions... I was scoring 14-15 in BS consistently on my practice tests and got a 12, and I was scoring 11's on VR and got a 13... i definitely attribute that to luck. But I think people who consistently score over 40 on practice tests (I only did that once) might tend to disagree with me

my TPR bio instructor got one apparently. he got a 15, 13-15, and 15. he's UCSF bound now.

my TPR bio instructor got one apparently. he got a 15, 13-15, and 15. he's UCSF bound now.

UCSF bound ? his MCAT score must have expired (they don't use the VR 13-15 range anymore) That must have really sucked to have a perfect score expire for med school admissions :eek:

Yes, absolutely, it has been done, by perhaps 20 people in the history of the world, but you and I are not going to run a sub 3:50 mile not matter how much we try. However, I have been below 5 minutes for the mile. What about you?

I ran a mile in 4:59 once. I came in fifth in that race. Come to think of it, I came in fifth in every single mile race I've run. What's that about?

The highest possible MCAT score that one could get on the test I took (8/05) was a 44 - if you got all the questions right on the BS section you [only :laugh: ] got a 14...

The highest possible MCAT score that one could get on the test I took (8/05) was a 44 - if you got all the questions right on the BS section you [only :laugh: ] got a 14...

Right, it depends on the exam. For the April 06 exam, the highest score possible was a 44 too (15 on BS/PS, 14 on V). With the way verbal is curved, it's probably really tough to get a 15, but it's usually possible to ace the other sections (at least in theory ;) ).

Is it possible? Yes. Has it ever happened? No.

What's the highest that has been recorded? 43!!

What amount of people got that at the most in a given test administration 2 out of more then 28000-37000 students in the old way of doing things.

You can see the chances of getting a 45 are very very very slim.

Study like that's what you are aiming for but be happy with anything 30 and above or 33+ if you are aiming for a top tier.

If 45 were impossible, it wouldn't be in the range of scores...

I think it's harder to get a 3 than a 45...

I'd say there's a pretty minimal difference between a 39 and a 43 - that's only a few questions, some of which you might read a little differently than intended, etc. Plus, the curve for VR gets really, really steep. The difference between a 12 and a 15 is very few questions.

If 45 were impossible, it wouldn't be in the range of scores...

I think it's harder to get a 3 than a 45...
Isn't the lowest a 6J? I thought you could get at least a 2 in any section. And I think I could have done that - you can almost always rule 1-2 options out immediately for being ridiculous.

So how do they score the verbal now? Or was that a joke?

Because of the debate on whether or not they could make verbal questions of the difficulty to distinguish between 13-15, if you scored in that range, they reported your verbal score as a 13-15 as opposed to a 13, 14, or a 15. Recently(I'm not sure how long ago it was), they decided to allow scores of 14 and 15 on the verbal. So, no, it wasn't a joke.:p

Is that what you were told to make you feel better? :smuggrin:

you can get a 45 if there is a test version that has a very difficult verbal section.

the verbal can be scored out of 13, 14, 15, depending on how many people rail it. if virtually no one rails it and you get all the questions right, theres your 15.

then all you have to do is 15 the other two sections. done.

you can get a 45 if there is a test version that has a very difficult verbal section.

the verbal can be scored out of 13, 14, 15, depending on how many people rail it. if virtually no one rails it and you get all the questions right, theres your 15.

then all you have to do is 15 the other two sections. done.

Pffffffffffttt... piece of cake. :cool:

Isn't the lowest a 6J? I thought you could get at least a 2 in any section. And I think I could have done that - you can almost always rule 1-2 options out immediately for being ridiculous.

Each section is scored 1-15. In theory, for every person who scores a 15, there would have to be someone who scores a 1 (Normal distribution). I think your statement gives credence to my thought that a 3 is "harder" to get than a 45.:D

Each section is scored 1-15. In theory, for every person who scores a 15, there would have to be someone who scores a 1 (Normal distribution). I think your statement gives credence to my thought that a 3 is "harder" to get than a 45.:D
I don't think there's any scaling to be done if you get every. single. question wrong. People have definitely gotten in the single digits before, and that's most likely because they're the opposite of intelligent, so if someone intelligent intended to do poorly, they could.

I don't think there's any scaling to be done if you get every. single. question wrong. People have definitely gotten in the single digits before, and that's most likely because they're the opposite of intelligent, so if someone intelligent intended to do poorly, they could.

Yeah but the odds of getting a 1 in a given section are lower then getting a 15 in a given section on the basis that even if you guess the whole way through by picking one letter for all your answers you'd still probably get slightly higher then a 1 based on simple probability rules.

That said, I know someone who personally got a single digit total score with a 2 being their lowest section and the other sections not being that much higher.

Chuck Norris got a 50 on the MCAT. On his first try. Without any prep courses.

Yeah...a 50th percentile.

It is possible to get a 45. You just need to get everything right in verbal and almost everything right in PS and BS. (You might be able to miss one or two questions at maximum, depending on the scale). The likelihood that one will achieve that is probably equivalent to the likelihod that someone will prove (with resolute evidence) the existence of an anti-graviton (given our current technology).

Yeah but the odds of getting a 1 in a given section are lower then getting a 15 in a given section on the basis that even if you guess the whole way through by picking one letter for all your answers you'd still probably get slightly higher then a 1 based on simple probability rules.

That said, I know someone who personally got a single digit total score with a 2 being their lowest section and the other sections not being that much higher.
But I'm not saying that I'd be guessing my way through - you'd get 1/5 of them right if you picked C for every question, but I had a 35, so I got the vast majority right. Even on the questions I got wrong, I probably could have shown you 1-2 answers that I knew were wrong, it was just the other 2-3 I couldn't choose between. I think I could have intentionally gotten every question wrong.

But I'm not saying that I'd be guessing my way through - you'd get 1/5 of them right if you picked C for every question, but I had a 35, so I got the vast majority right. Even on the questions I got wrong, I probably could have shown you 1-2 answers that I knew were wrong, it was just the other 2-3 I couldn't choose between. I think I could have intentionally gotten every question wrong.

Huh? Yeah I know your score. I was just talking about a theoretical situation.