Is it possible to sleep 8-9 hours a night?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted838145

There's been posts like this before, but they are all pretty old.

Until recently I usually slept about 5-6 hours on weeknights and 9-12 hours over the weekend. Now I am sleeping around 7-9 hours a night regularly and my mental/physical health has improved immensely.

Is this sleep schedule possible to maintain as a busy premed, assuming I take around 16-18 units per semester/quarter and do 8+ hrs volunteering/ECs a week?

If not, what is your own sleep schedule like?

Members don't see this ad.

I was pre-med(ish... really Biochem major) and a college athlete and I could easily get 8 hrs a night while maintaining a social life and completing EC's.
Unless you have a job, that shouldn't be an issue in undergrad.

Reactions: 1 users

Until recently I usually slept about 5-6 hours on weeknights and 9-12 hours over the weekend. Now I am sleeping around 7-9 hours a night regularly and my mental/physical health has improved immensely.

Is this sleep schedule possible to maintain as a busy premed, assuming I take around 16-18 units per semester/quarter and do 8+ hrs volunteering/ECs a week?

You need to become more efficient at studying if studying is regularly cutting into your sleep as a premed. At this rate you would not be able to sleep at all as a medical student.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I sleep 5-7 hours a night to feel normal. Any more and I feel tired all day, any less and I feel disoriented all day

You need to become more efficient at studying if studying is regularly cutting into your sleep as a premed. At this rate you would not be able to sleep at all as a medical student.
And it'll only get worse in residency.

Lol yes I slept way more in undergrad than like ever in my life. No I didn't get a 4.0 but I studied, partied, worked, volunteered, and was never sleep deprived. I'm def not saying that to be like wow look at how freaking amazing I am (or am I? jk), but just saying it is definitely possible and normal to get enough sleep and you shouldn't need to constantly wear yourself thin. You got this.

Reactions: 3 users

MS3 here. It's possible to get 8-9 hours of sleep a night in medical school if you're a student who doesn't NEED to study as much. There's no such thing as "studying wrong" unless you're facebooking/youtubing too much or just plain doing extremely odd methods. It has more to do with aptitude once you get past the willpower part.

Residency (nonsurgical) is possible to get 7-9 hours of sleep a night if you have no life outside of work

Just started my MCAT studying, and tried hard to maintain a 7-9 hour sleep. Less than 6 hours of sleep just makes my study day dreadful and less efficient. I hope I can maintain enough sleep throughout studying.