Is it possible to switch to EDP after submitting amcas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachmoninov3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My dream school is my state school, but when I applied with amcas it was as a regular applicant. (I didn't apply EDP because of a rumor that if you're not 4.0 45T don't apply EDP). Well, I'm not THAT qualified but I'm still slightly higher MCAT and about average (post-bac) GPA, and this is my fourth year applying!!! So as I'm working on all other secondaries and still not hearing from my state, I emailed the dean about the rumor, explaining how I really want to go to school X, and I feel bad working on all these apps. for other schools. The dean then said that EDP is discouraged only if you don't have everything ready, or if you can make something better. Other than another semester of post-bac/grad work (grad chemistry and linear algebra in the fall), I have nothing to make my application better.

I searched AMCAS, and couldn't find a way to change to EDP. I've called the school and emailed them and I'm stil waiting for an answer. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

unfortunately, it sounds like your primary is already being sent out to other schools and from this point on it is very unlikely that you would be able to apply early decision.best of luck

I would call AMCAS, but I think that once you've applied regular MD to other schools, you can't apply EDP. You already have applications out there, which you can't if you're EDP. You have to "suicide" that one school and wait on their decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't yet yeard a med school dean or advisor ever say that EDP is an advantage. It DOES NOT bump you up if you have mediocre stats. I'd carefully check the MSAR and find out how many people they actually took by EDP before even worrying about it.

Thanks everybody. I'll wait to see if I hear from the school, if not i'll just wait.

"I hate waiting..." inigo montoya, from the princess bride :p