Is it possible to take a summer class and a summer program (SMDEP)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedmind

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to do both of these things?

I would be taking Physics I and II over the summer, but I also want to take a summer program like SMDEP. I really don't think its possible but I've never done a program like this before. I'm a sophomore.

Members don't see this ad.

Probably not since SMDEP runs for about 6 weeks and it will probably conflict with your summer schedule. Why don't you check the start and end dates on smdep.org and check your registrar's office online and see when summer would start for you. Another thing to keep in mind is that smdep is only open for freshman and sophomores and this will be your last chance to apply. Why don't you take physics during the normal semester like everyone else?

Is it possible to do both of these things?

I would be taking Physics I and II over the summer, but I also want to take a summer program like SMDEP. I really don't think its possible but I've never done a program like this before. I'm a sophomore.

You might be able to if they're night classes. Some programs are very specific in stating that they don't allow participants to take any summer classes during the program. Check first.

Members don't see this ad :)
The thing is I want to take MCAT spring of Junior year and I need to take get my physics is now, or else I won't have it in time for the MCAT. I dropped it last semester because I was overloaded with work.

Anybody know if SMDEP doesn't allow you to take summer classes at the same time?

EDIT: Also, if the summer program thing doesn't work out, I was thinking of starting an EMT course now and by summer I'll be certified, that way, I'll be able to take calls and do coursework....does that sound more reasonable?

I was able to go to India for 6 weeks to do overseas volunteering and then take Bio chem in the same summer. I really think you can do it, but you have to look for the right program that is towards the end or the beginning of the semester.

I was able to go to India for 6 weeks to do overseas volunteering and then take Bio chem in the same summer. I really think you can do it, but you have to look for the right program that is towards the end or the beginning of the semester.

Thing is though, I'll be taking both Physics I and II, so it will span most of the summer.

I'm not sure it's feasible at all, since most programs require you to make a commitment for most of the day and week.

EDIT: Just called them and asked if this was possible, she said the program runs M-F 9-5 sometimes 9-7pm....and you have to study for classes AT the program too. So it's a definite no. My only other options would be to take Physics my Junior year while taking Biochem.....