Step I Is it possible to take a vacation during Step 1 studying?

Started by metaphase
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

metaphase

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there! MS2 here, finishing classes this week and gearing up for full-time Step 1 study time.

Situation: I'm scheduled to take Step 1 on June 23, but my family is going on a dream vacation June 8-15 and I'd love to join them.


Options:
1. Don't go, cry self to sleep, perhaps score a few points better on Step 1. (fwiw, my most probable specialty is OB/GYN, so scoring my school's average of 232 would be just fine with me.)

2. Study study study May 10-June 8, go on vacation and study when I can, come back June 15, stick with my current Step 1 date, perhaps do a few points worse due to lost time/jetlag/being thrown off groove.

3. Study study study, go on vacation, reschedule Step 1 for, like, the following week? (We start rotations the 2nd week of July, so I do have a little more time.)


My current step prep status: currently 1/3 through my first Uworld spin-through and have re-reviewed my weakest couple subjects in First Aid. My school does the second half of MS2 systems-based, so most things are relatively fresh.

I'd especially like some perspective from people who've taken the exam. Some upper years gave us a study strategy pep talk the other week, and one other girl went on a week vacation in the middle, studied as she could, and did just fine, but I don't think it was as close to her test date as mine will be.

Thanks in advance!