is it possible to take both mcat and dat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skazyjae

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am junior right now. gpa 3.84 sGPA 3.94 math gpa 4.00.
Im not sure if I want to be dentist or doctor. I am still deciding, but time goes fast and it is time for me to take either one of those tests. Is it possible to take both? has any one do that yet? are materials similar? I know that mcat has physics in it, but im okay with physics (in my opinion, I am better with physics than biology.)

Thanks for helping me guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't look good on ur application writing that u have taken both mcat and dat. Then they know that dental is not really a passion for u, but just an option..

Damn this kid needs some sunscreen, he's getting burned left and right, give him a break. Do whatever makes you happy buddy, but you should make up your mind soon. Its pretty late in the game.

Just keep in mind that MCAT is a lot harder than DAT. Make up your mind soon and then sit down and start studying :)
Good luck

somehow, I feel that your post is going to lead to hundreds of debating posts.

I'm with you on that. For example, some people might find physics easy while PAT might seem very hard - vice versa.

Members don't see this ad :)
So the admissions know if you've taken both mcat and dat??:scared:

on AADSAS, there is a section where it asks you whether you took other pre-health standarized exams. Obviously, you don't want to lie about it.

Just keep in mind that MCAT is a lot harder than DAT. Make up your mind soon and then sit down and start studying :)
Good luck

Ok i am gonna be the first one who defenses the DAT then.

who told you that mcat is A LOT harder than DAT? Have any proof? Any number to prove that?

Each test is different...

And who goes to the DAT forum and says DAT sucks anyway.

who told you that mcat is A LOT harder than DAT? Have any proof? Any number to prove that?

+1

IMHO, I think you should look into some other field. You are actually considering going to grad school based on how the entrance test is. Seriously, that is the dumbest thing i have heard. You could easily go into a field you hate because the entrance test was easier for that field than the field you actually dreamed of going into. Go into the field your passionate about. If medicine is your passion, do medicine. If dental is, do dental. If none are your passion (which i think is the case), do another field.

i had to rant...stressful day

I never said DAT sucks. I'm all the way for DAT and going to dental school.
When I was studying for DAT I picked a few MCAT books just to go over. The Bio and Chem are insane ( the bio is too detailed in MCAT ) The reading section alone in the MCAT is worth 15 points and it's a lot harder than the reading section in DAT.
This is just my opininon :)

Hey there;
Yes. You can take both the MCAT and DAT. If you do so, I would recommend doing the MCAT first as preparing for that will indirectly prepare you for the DAT....Survey of Natural Sciences and RC. You will still need to tackle the PAT and Quant though.

I think you should really just decide on one field and dedicate all your time to that one test. It's hard to study for each of these tests they require very different kinds of thinking. DAT - much more straightforward, discrete content questions + PAT. MCAT - passages with every section, less about knowing content 100% through like the DAT (not that you don't need to know it) and finally, MCAT is easier for those with really good test taking skills. DAT is much more about what you know as all the science questions are discrete questions!

Pick one - take your time, but they'll see it as indecisiveness if you don't!

Gluck