Is it possible to work part time in ER?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

red453

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard both ways from not so good sources. So, what are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

One of the docs works part time because she recently had a baby.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, but like most part-time positions, it may mean you lose out on benefits, profit sharing, 401(k), etc...

My old EM mentor worked one shift a week, and spent the rest of her time having fun with her kids and publishing twenty times more than anybody else at the hospital.

Would you have any chance of landing a part-time gig right out of residency or is it something generally more open to senior attendings?

Would you have any chance of landing a part-time gig right out of residency or is it something generally more open to senior attendings?
I you can get a part time bit fresh out. Now can you and should you are different animals. The first 2 years or so are a real learning curve. I think you'd be better down the road to cut your teeth on full time. Just balance that with whatever your reasons are for wanting to do part time.

DocB is right about the first two years out. You need to get your chops busted a little and learn how to handle yourself as an attending (regardless of whether you are coming from a 3 or 4 year residency). No more "the attending made me do it". You've got learn to be your own man and/or lady, and the only way to do that it see lots of patients. The sooner you find your own groove, the better off you're going to be.