Is it possible?

Ksmall

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've been lurking around the forums for a while and I finally made an account. The reason I started this thread is that I need guidance on what to do. I'll just tell you guys about my situation.
My parents made me do online school when I got into the 6th grade. Middle school was fine and I had amazing grades and great test scores. When I got to high school I was suddenly super unmotivated and depressed. I stopped doing my school work and I would just sleep all day. I had a ton of overdue work and I had to rush and complete them all before the semesters were over. I would get honors on my state exams but I just didn't do the school work. The same thing happened my sophomore year and I was almost kicked out of the school twice! Now I'm 16 and about to enter the 11th grade once summer is over. I realized how badly I screwed up and I want to fix it. I want to do better and I know I can do better. I'm currently studying for the SAT over the summer and it is really helping me (re)learn everything I kind of missed in my first 2 years.
The reason I'm on SDN is that I always wanted to be a doctor. I always thought it was impossible because I've never had a black doctor growing up and whenever I would tell my family about it they would always have a "good luck with that" look on their face. When I was in middle school my goal was to become a nurse because I could possibly get through school debt free by working. The thought of debt would always terrify me because I grew up with my family avoiding the student loan people. It would scare me that people would try to take money away from my family when we barely had any. Now that I'm thinking about it I don't know if I will be satisfied with being a nurse because I feel like I'll regret not being a doctor. I love the idea of caring for people, but I feel like I will always want to do more for them!
My problem is that I don't know if I'll be able to get into college! My weighted GPA is currently 2.2 and I think its that high just because I would take all honors and AP classes. I don't think its possible to get my GPA high enough to get accepted into the school near me. My teachers have me signed up for 3 AP classes and the rest are honors so I think that can maybe help my GPA. I'm not scared of the classes because I find school kind of "easy" I just know that I have to do the work!
Is it possible to start at a community college and transfer over a university? The community colleges near me are partnered with the university near me so the credits will transfer over. I'm just worried that Medical schools won't accept me because of community college credits.

(I'm sorry If none of this makes sense! I just typed directly what I was thinking without actually thinking :laugh:)

Members don't see this ad.

Short answer is your plan works. Work on study skills and stay on top of your mental health and you can achieve it.

Longer answer: The first step is getting your mental status on track. It sounds like you had some motivation issues. These things can often be related to mental health concerns like anxiety or depression. Now I am not diagnosing you nor am I calling you crazy. I just know these things are more common than a lot of people like to acknowledge. You may find it useful to talk to a school therapist or physician. If money is a concern, some school districts have free counseling. In any case, it sounds like you are motivated right now and that is excellent. Carry that forward into the next school year!

Don't compare yourself to others and know when to ask for help. Head off any motivation issues or depression by telling someone and asking for assistance. You will need to stay on top of your studies to do well in AP and honors courses but if you do keep up with them, they will boost that GPA.

Take your time and realize that you have another couple semesters (or even more) before you apply to colleges. By that time your GPA may be higher than you anticipated and you will be able to get into your state school. There is need based assistance and transitional programs that you may qualify for.

If, for whatever reason, you can't go to a public school in your state, you can definitely begin at a community or junior college. Take some basic general education courses (any math you need, English, basic bio, whatever) and work on your study skills. Do well for a semester or two or three and then transfer to the school that you want to get your degree from. After that, it becomes a bigger plan that is far out of the scope you need to be thinking about at this time.

Medical schools do not mind some community college grades as long as you did well!

Reactions: 2 users