Is it possible...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crosspoint

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to go from an 18 7p 5V 6B in 6 weeks to at least a 24 on the mcat???????????????

Members don't see this ad.

Was this first test taken before you started reviewing? Assuming you've taken, and understood, the 4, 2-semester classes the MCAT tests on, I think getting a 24 is pretty doable.

Is it possible to go from an 18 7p 5V 6B in 6 weeks to at least a 24 on the mcat???????????????

It is not that difficult to improve from an 18 to a 24. However, I have no idea why you would want to aim for a 24???? Try aiming for a 30 at least...

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to an open house and talked to the admissions director and she said that if i could at least get a 24 I was a strong canidate.....
How is it doable do anyone of you have a study plan i can go by...
The reason i got a 18 was that i was in the middle of writing a grant proposal for Grad School and it took up a lot of my time...I graduate Friday and I have 6 weeks before i can apply early decision like she suggested

I went to an open house and talked to the admissions director and she said that if i could at least get a 24 I was a strong canidate.....
How is it doable do anyone of you have a study plan i can go by...
The reason i got a 18 was that i was in the middle of writing a grant proposal for Grad School and it took up a lot of my time...I graduate Friday and I have 6 weeks before i can apply early decision like she suggested

A strong candidate to where? A 24 will get you outright rejected from all MD schools and the majority, if not all, DO schools. Plus, if that 18 is your actual MCAT score and not from a practice test, you're facing an even worse fight.

you should take it as advice man its tough nowadays especially with all the competition

advisors dont usually give the best advice, and maybe you should check it out for yourself and pick up an MSAR book or look at the ACMAS website for further information on people that actually matriculated...ive never known anyone to get in with a 24, unless your "advisor" knows the medschool admissions, i wouldnt count on it

also read around this forum in the premed threads and you might be able to get a better idea of some of the applying student's scores

goodluck

Thanks I really wanted advice not a put down...

I dont think he is "putting you down," just informing your the brutality of medical schools when it comes to numbers. I mean, there is a baseline score that every school has that screens out the applications based solely on GPA and MCATS (no schools actually looks more than 2000 applicants.. reading the personal statements.. extra circular activities.. you know what I mean..)

But I honestly believe that you can go reach your score, just get familiar with the format and the content. I have seen people with 17s on the diagnostic to a 35. So, it comes. The question is "how bad do you want it?"

If you raise your goals just slightly from 24 to 27, it would make you a lot more competitive, especially if your distribution is 9-9-9.

Thanks I really wanted advice not a put down...

Sorry, I didn't mean it as a put down on you. I'm just surprised that adviser is so bad. That score will not get you into any MD or DO school. It would be disingenuous and horrible advice for me to lead you on into thinking a 24 will get you into medical school.

Thanks guys Sorry SN2ed i misread what you were sayin...I guess you guys are right...lol that was pretty bad advice

A word of warning, a verbal that low (7 or lower) will basically get you automatically rejected from the majority of MD and DO schools.

No it won't. My friend got into a UC school with a lower verbal than that.

And no, not URM.

Members don't see this ad :)
No it won't. My friend got into a UC school with a lower verbal than that.

And no, not URM.

But people like this, they're the exception and not the rule. Even if not automatic rejection, it's pretty darn near unless the ECs are amazing. With a 4.0 GPA even, I don't see how adcoms won't be bothered with a 24 and a 7 for verbal. On one of the info sessions I went to, an adcom member doing the presentation says the reason why verbal is stressed highly is because you will read a ton of stuff in medical school and you need to be able to pick up important points and follow well.

But people like this, they're the exception and not the rule. Even if not automatic rejection, it's pretty darn near unless the ECs are amazing. With a 4.0 GPA even, I don't see how adcoms won't be bothered with a 24 and a 7 for verbal. On one of the info sessions I went to, an adcom member doing the presentation says the reason why verbal is stressed highly is because you will read a ton of stuff in medical school and you need to be able to pick up important points and follow well.

Yeah, I don't disagree with that. I guess the point is, try to get as high as an MCAT as possible.

i just went ot the vcom open house this weekend and they said that a 25mcat was their average? so if thats true, a 24 isnt too bad. Obviously you def. want to aim for much higher, but saying that a 24 = rejection is simply incorrect.

some state schools (MD programs) actually do have averages in the lower 20s. it is in the MSAR, although i am a little surprised that someone would tell you that it is a competitive score.

(although i should add that one of my friends at UW med told me a 28 was competitive for admissions, which i still think is hogwash)

some state schools (MD programs) actually do have averages in the lower 20s. it is in the MSAR, although i am a little surprised that someone would tell you that it is a competitive score.

(although i should add that one of my friends at UW med told me a 28 was competitive for admissions, which i still think is hogwash)

If that's true it was a waist of time for me to take it again!!! I doubt it that. I know one guy who was a URM and got a 31,but was denied by UW. Overall I'll say this man: ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE! So don't give up your hopes and dreams. Get in the high 20's and you will attract DO's..30's and you will attract MD programs (as a URM). They seriously need to reconsider their whole URM thing though and just consider UPA's (underprivileged applicants),but that discussion is for another form. (I say this as an AA).

***As a note, remember to take all feedback here in respect to the fact that this forum consist of thousands of hungry-savage beast ( known as med students :laugh:). Don't let anyone here discourage you. :thumbup:

SamuraiR: Ah, you're right. I just did some more research on DO schools. When I checked the current state list on DO schools there were 7 schools with an MCAT average 25 or lower. That said, the majority of DO schools have an average MCAT around 26-28 with an upward trend in score over the past years. I thought the average was around 28-30 which would make a 24 uncompetitive.

For allopathic schools, my statement about the 24 being close to an automatic rejection still stands except for one case. The only US state school that I can think of that's in the low 20s is Howard which only accepts DC residents. The other low 20 schools are in Puerto Rico. There are some in-state only schools in the upper 20s (28-29ish): New Mexico, Mississippi, Mercer, and FSU. Finally, there's Morehouse which accepts both in and out-state, however, the class size is small (around 56 out of a pool of over 3000 applicants).

Regardless, telling a student a 24 makes a strong candidate is ridiculous.

Here's the list with DO school stats: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=598056

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s possible in that short of a time period, and I did bring up a score in the teens. The thing about scoring in the teens is that no amount of "brushing" up on the material will help you. The reason you do that poorly is because you are not solid on the main concepts of each subject. Does that mean you’re stupid? Heck no. But it does mean that you will need significant time to study the basics before you can move on to the actual tested material. Pick up a textbook and start learning, then move on to the MCAT based books. Trust me, I know...

I tried to study for a few months and pick my score out of the teens, it didn’t work and I just wasted my time as well as made my application look pretty bad. Take some time and work on it because if you hastily take it again you will regret it.

Another thing. I used to want a 24 also. I actually wrote in permanent marker on my bathroom mirror "Aim for a 24" (rhymes, thought it was cleaver). I would have been perfectly happy with this, luckily I did better. I don’t blame you for having this goal, it’s good to have an attainable goal. If you don’t have the ECs to back it up however you will have a hard time getting in with this score. Not impossible, but it will be harder.

On the AAMC practices, I started with a 28 and after 1 month of studying...ended up getting scores between 33-37.

Sadly, I only got a 33 on the real thing..... so sad

Here is my scores...
first time: 8P, 9B, 4V
second : 10P, 9B, 3V
third : 9P, 9B, 3V

English is my fourth language; have a 3.7 GPA, Biochemistry. Been doing research at Mayo Clinic for over two years now. I have never studied more 3hrs a day for this test. Or I should say that, the only time I spent more than 3hrs studying was when i was takin a practice test...

Will PR summer help?....Guys help!

Here is my scores...

English is my fourth language; have a 3.7 GPA, Biochemistry. Been doing research at Mayo Clinic for over two years now. I have never studied more 3hrs a day for this test. Or I should say that, the only time I spent more than 3hrs studying was when i was takin a practice test...

I think you really need to focus on verbal. I don't think any amount of prep courseing will help you with that though. Try reading things and getting more acquainted with the types of passages the mcat readers will throw at you.

i'm not sure why you want a 24? but my humble thought on this is.. if you wanna do well, you've gotta do what you've gotta do. i am not sure if 6 weeks is long enough, but only you know about yourself best. If it was me I would need a good 3-5+ months for thorough content reviews + practices.

Last edited:
Yeah the 6 week thought I know I was really being ambitious but I am just going to study for the summer and take it in July....

Here is my scores...

you should be able to bring up your PS and BS score on your own if you can get your hands on the right prep material. However, you really need to work on VR. Instead of signing up for a prep course ($1400) why not invest in a private VR tutor from a Princeton or Kaplan...they might be able to work with you. Take the test seriously and invest the time to get a good score.