1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Is it really important?

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by Neurosh, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Neurosh

Pre-Medical
    Hi~
    I want to be a physician scientist in the future.

I am a freshman in Purdue University.
    And I have a question.
    Is the prestige of the institution of premed years significantly important to get into med school?

My situation is as follows.
    I am a US citizen but I lived in another country for 16years.
    So I am not pretty goot at communicating in English right now.

After graduating high school and finishing one semester of a college in that country, I decided to come here, USA.

When I applied for universities, I considered the possibility of getting into that college at spring semester(because I wanted to start as soon as possible) and financial problems.

And I thought that I could spend some years improving my English and then go to more prestigious university.

As a result, I entered Purdue University.

Actually, prestige is not the most important thing to me as considering institutions. But, you know, every human being has achievement motivation. And I have more compared with average people. So, I want to spend my own potential as much as possible.
    Therefore, I want to go at least good med school which can motivate and incite me academically.

Inversly, that implies that my current college doesn't do that..
    I can barely meet studious people like myself and the size of class is too big for me. And I can get good grades though I don't study much and deeply.(I want to study deep and hard)

I am a kind of people who likes challenges. That's why, I guess, I feel a little helplessness and can't apply myself these days.

And that's why I am really desperate to the former question.
    In case I can't get into med school, I can become miserable.

Again, Is the prestige of the institution significantly important to get into med school?

2. Auraraptor

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    umm congrads?

3. ThatOne

ThatOne New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Although you might not have heard much about Purdue University abroad, it is considered quite a solid institution here in America.
    (https://engineering.purdue.edu/Engr/AboutUs/FactsFigures/Rankings//Rankings/)

It is normal to not feel particularly challenged the first few semesters. Get a good solid start, adjust to life here, and take this opportunity to really polish your English skills. The upper-level classes will be more challenging, or you can even look into taking some graduate-level classes. If you want to be a physician-scientist, you should also be looking to work in a lab -- which should again be very intellectually stimulating.

Good luck, and try not to talk too badly about your home institution and your peers -- it will win you enemies you don't need.

4. Dr.Watson

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You will be fine coming from Purdue.

To get into an MD/PhD program, in addition to improving your English, you need to focus on getting good grades, a high MCAT score (when the time comes), and lots of research experience.

5. OP
    OP
    Neurosh

Pre-Medical
    Thank you for your reply.

I know Purdue is a good school.
    I didn't mean to tell badly about my school.
    I just sort of complaint and concerned a little.(Because I know admission to med school is very competitive.)
    I love my school, though.

Thank you again, I'll follow your advice.:)