Is it really worth it all

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matt Norman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
You know I am really beginning to wonder if it is all worth it. I know I want to be a doctor, but do I want the abuse. I don't mind working long hours. I mean I just finished nursing school working full time in an ER as an EMT as well as all my school atuff, clinicals and some how managed to maintane somewhat of a social life. My problem is that everything I read about internship, residency and even clinicals in school says that you are basically treated like crap. I got enough of that in nursing school. I am ready to be treated as a colleague. Do most MDs and other poeple training you tend to treat you like some lower species? Cause frankly I don't know if it worth it. I would greatly appreciate you guys feed back. Thank you very much.

Matt

------------------
Love God, Hate Sin

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's really dependent on who you are working with. I was doing a surgery rotation in NY and despite the highly political and strutured order of a surgical dept, I experienced many wonderful moments in which I felt like a total member of the team. Sometimes students are pimped at rounds and they are scutted to death, but it is totally worth it. All these experiences only makes bonds stronger between residents, attendings and students. It definitely reconfirmed my belief that medicine is the only thing I want to do with my life.

I remember the first time I conducted an entire surgery all by myself (ok, so it was just an incision and draining of a femoral cyst, but it was in the OR). I was pretty shocked when the surgeon was discussing how I should make my entry cut. I promptly told her that I wasn't a resident (you'd be surprised how often people make that mistake) but rather I was just a student. She said she knew and continued her instructions. My hands were shaking when I anesthesized the area but I started to calm down a bit when I cutting, until she warned me not to go too deeply, or else I'll break into the femoral vein and artery! It was a scary but very defining moment. Abuse or no abuse, it was definitely worth it.

------------------