is it really worth it???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reese07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is becoming a pharmacist really worth it? I keep hearing things about how pharmacy is boring and is nothing like being a doctor and interacting with patients and such...is pharmacy actually awarding? or is it jus filling up bottles and writing down prescriptions?? Pls help because im about to go to a 6 yr pharm d program and is starting to get second thoughts...being a doctor is too stressful for me even though its what I wanna do...is being a pharmacist a good choice to have the same satisfactions or almost the same as being a doctor and having less stress, regardless of money??

Members don't see this ad.

i work with a clinical pharmacist in a psychiatric hospital...she sees patients everyday and i have never seen her count one pill

umm....u have a very narrow view of pharmacy.......u don't have to be at Walgreen's filling out bottles...you have so many options than that.....u can do a residecy after wards and specialize, you can do veterinary pharmacy, academica, research, work for NASA (yes there is a pharmacist working for nasa, you can do onology pharmacist and advice cancer patiest, you can be a military pharmacist....I am interested in being an industrail pharm.....going to work for a pharmacuitical company afterwards,,,,after i get an MBA with my PharmD....as you can see there are many options and not just filling out drugs....i would suggest u do some research befroe YOU GO INTO THE 6 YEAR PROGRAM.......and actually KNOW what pharm do...(I DID NOT CHECK FOR SPELLING....it is 1 AM in FLorida and I would like to go to sleep)

Members don't see this ad :)
u can work at FDA and make a executive decision whether an HIV cure drugs should be in the market!

It seems to me that you didn't do enough research into the profession prior to going for the 6 year program.:)

Get a copy of "The Pfizer Guide to Careers in Pharmacy". In this nice book, you will find about thirty profiles of about thirty different pharmacy specialties. Pharmacy isn't just all about pushing pills into a bottle.;)

There have been times when I've wondered "why pharmacy?" :confused: Why did I have to develop this obsession and fascination with pharmacy when I could have just as easily settled on another profession! :mad: I'm not even sure if I know why.:eek: It just seemed to come natural to me. :p Thats my best explanation! :oops: What is yours? :scared:

Mike:)

Sounds to me like you would like to be a Physicians Assistant. (imo). #2 job in America
icon14.gif

A few years ago - Pharmacy became the #1 sexy job in America - every kid coming up through school wanted to be one. I'm not sure if everyone knew then what it was all about.

There are many many types of pharmacist - and only a few include counting pills. Take a look at the prepharmacy FAQ stickied at the top of the Prepharmacy forum to learn more.

~above~

She probably sees patients and along with the physicians makes adjustments to patient's medications.