Is it REALLY worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PublicHealth

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
You hear and read people talking about the long and arduous road to becoming a doctor. For those of you who are on this road, what do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I'm not in medical school yet ( and won't be for quite awhile ). But, I do have a sister in her 4th year and a lot of friends that are in the 1st and 2nd years.

Let me tell you, this isn't for everyone. There is a LOT of sleepless nights and text to read over. To some, medical school is a right of passage for a secure job. For others, it was all part of 'destiny' and so it is just part of the weed out process. Afterall, the people who survive are the ones taking care of you. Wouldn't you want them to be able to help you after working 8 hours in a row as if they had just started? Medical School could potentially help prepare people for that.

If you're going into it for the money, most likley, your interest will die down, the path is too hard.

But, if you truly want to help people and want to help them in the most complete way, you probably won't notice too often how much work you have until summer breaks. This is the feeling I get from my friends and sister, at least.

Hope this helps?

Justin

ugh... i'm in second year & i just finished the most arduous week of studying & tests. i feel doscouraged, but i know it'll go away....you've just got to keep your wits about you. be motivated, and when you're not motv8td you've got to keep reminding yourself why you're in medschool - or ask yourself if it's the right direction for you.
and is it worth it? -that you have to decide for yourself

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it's worth it either. I dropped out yesterday.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Joke's on you!

I think I missed something here.

it seems like every other day..i feel differently..is it worth it or is it not..i tell u, it's saturday evening at 8pm and i have spent most of this entire day studying..i'll be here at school in a conference room studying until about 1 am. then i'm going to bed and getting a long restful sleep of 8 hrs (i rarely enjoy this pleasure), so that i can get up and come to school and study some more. once upon a time on a saturday, i would be relaxing, watching a movie, hanging with my friends...
med school is rough..period. but, some days are better than others. it's also not so bad once you realize that everyone is feeling the same. if you have a good bond with your classmates then you all suffer together..lol

Ah....so good to be MSIII....enjoyed the day watching football and drinking beer....now to finish a bit of studying (1 hour) before I go out.....
so happy to be done with the rigors of the first 2 years
stomper

A friend of mine once said, "Every test you pass just qualifies you for a tougher test". And this doesn't apply just to academics...
As someone who graduated in 1982 (Pleistocene era, I know), I can say that yes, it's worth it if you really want to do it. If you are in medicine for the money or prestige, look elsewhere. Yes, reimbursement will probably always be above average, but from what I read about the amount of debt the average student incurs now, it looks ominous. Go into/stay in medicine because you like people and/or the subject matter. And when it comes to choice of specialty, again, do what you want, not solely based on money. Take it from someone who is trying to change course.