Is it reasonable to apply to medical school and graduate school at the same time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onfire512

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As someone who has had both clinical exposure and done research during undergrad, I believe that I would find fulfillment in either path. However, I just don't think I am competitive for MD/PhD. Would it be reasonable to apply to both medical school and graduate school (PhD) during the same cycle? I am taking the MCAT in May and have not taken the GRE. I am already taking a gap year where I will be an NIH IRTA, and it is expected that you apply to medical/graduate school while you are in the program.

My thought process is this: as a medical school applicant, I would want to have my application in by the end of June to be within the first "wave" of applications. Applications for graduate programs are typically due in December. I understand that I will be filling out secondaries and (hopefully) doing interviews following getting my medical school application in. Do you think that I would have enough time in between to take the GRE and apply to graduate programs? Should I even take the GRE, considering that a growing number of programs do not even require it? Would this be completely stupid, or a reasonable approach?

Members don't see this ad.

Bigger question here is do you want to be a doctor? This is not path you should ever commit to if you’re not fully committed.

Reactions: 2 users
if you're going to find fulfillment in either path just focus on the PhD and save yourself the time and energy.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think that there ever would be a situation where applying to both PhD and MD schools in the same cycle would be make sense as a serious action (as opposed to applying to only combined MD/PhD programs).

As someone that went through that (pursing grad schools or med school) decision several years back (and chose medical and have never looked back), they are VASTLY different paths. Even comparing a PhD program to Stanford MD (basically the most research-intensive medical school in the country) yields vastly different career paths. Both processes take such dedicated effort and time that there should be no-one seriously considering both to the point where they apply to both and are willing to accept either outcome.

It is one or the other. Do some deep self-reflecting and be honest with yourself about what you REALLY want to do. You considering a PhD and a MD at the same time makes me think that you don't quite feel 100% about being a doctor and a clinician right now. Don't apply MD until you are 150% sure that there is nothing else you want to do in life but become a physician and practice medicine. On a similar note, nobody should be going into medical school with a goal of "getting the MD and going into ONLY industry/research/etc" (yes even the Stanford MD applicants).

Just do the MD. You dont want to struggle in the PhD market and grad school environment.

Reactions: 1 users
As someone who has had both clinical exposure and done research during undergrad, I believe that I would find fulfillment in either path. However, I just don't think I am competitive for MD/PhD. Would it be reasonable to apply to both medical school and graduate school (PhD) during the same cycle? I am taking the MCAT in May and have not taken the GRE. I am already taking a gap year where I will be an NIH IRTA, and it is expected that you apply to medical/graduate school while you are in the program.

My thought process is this: as a medical school applicant, I would want to have my application in by the end of June to be within the first "wave" of applications. Applications for graduate programs are typically due in December. I understand that I will be filling out secondaries and (hopefully) doing interviews following getting my medical school application in. Do you think that I would have enough time in between to take the GRE and apply to graduate programs? Should I even take the GRE, considering that a growing number of programs do not even require it? Would this be completely stupid, or a reasonable approach?

It’s possible. But more importantly, figure this out for yourself. Each degree will lead to very different career paths. Time to make a decision.

Reactions: 1 user
If you don't think that you are competitive for MD/PhD, don't apply. This process will grind you down and doing it just to discover that you have gotten nowhere is demoralizing in the extreme.
If you'd be happy getting a PhD, prep for the GRE and go for it!

Would it be reasonable to apply to both medical school and graduate school (PhD) during the same cycle?
Can you trust your LOR writers to write separate letters, each of which strongly advocates that you'll succeed in one of the pathways, without messing up and mentioning your suitability for the other?

if you're going to find fulfillment in either path just focus on the PhD and save yourself the time and energy.

please explain

Medical training is an often stressful, sometimes miserable, always exhausting, and occasionally humiliating process. However it is time limited, almost everyone finishes, and it leads to a fantastic job.

Getting a PhD is an often stressful, sometimes miserable, always exhausting, and occasionally humiliating process. It is open ended, the majority of people who start don't finish, the vast majority of people who finish don't get a job, and the jobs that exist are mostly awful.

Not everyone should go to medical school. No one should go to graduate school.

The only possible exception to the graduate school rule might be an MD/PhD program, which is effectively time limited and still seems to lead reliably to faculty jobs. Not that I'm recommending that path, but it might make sense for someone out there.

Further reading: 100 reasons not to go to graduate school

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Medical training is an often stressful, sometimes miserable, always exhausting, and occasionally humiliating process. However it is time limited, almost everyone finishes, and it leads to a fantastic job.

A PhD is an often stressful, sometimes miserable, always exhausting, and occasionally humiliating process. It is open ended, the majority of people who start don't finish, the vast majority of people who finish don't get a job, and the jobs that exist are mostly awful.

Not everyone should go to medical school. No one should go to graduate school.

The only possible exception to the graduate school rule might be an MD/PhD program, which is effectively time limited and still seems to lead reliably to faculty jobs.

Further reading: 100 reasons not to go to graduate school
This blog is perfect.

Can you trust your LOR writers to write separate letters, each of which strongly advocates that you'll succeed in one of the pathways, without messing up and mentioning your suitability for the other?
Yeah, that was a major concern of mine. I wouldn't want the process of applying to one program to damage my application to another.

Based on the variety of opinions in this thread, I think I just really need to do some soul-searching over the next few months and figure out what the best plan for me is.

If you don't think that you are competitive for MD/PhD, don't apply. This process will grind you down and doing it just to discover that you have gotten nowhere is demoralizing in the extreme.
If you'd be happy getting a PhD, prep for the GRE and go for it!

That was 100% of my thought process with the MD/PhD. I am passionate about answering scientific questions with research and the personal/community impact of practicing medicine. But I just... don't want to apply for a 7-8 year program that I would be so unlikely to be admitted to anyways.

Only apply when you're ready. Don't apply if you want to be just a researcher. Never apply to grad school and med school at the same time. C'mon that's like applying to dental school and med school because you also like working with teeth