Is it safe to assume that once you get accepted to Pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kgard7777

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's smooth sailing? It seems as if the hardest part is actually doing well in pre-pharm and getting into pharmacy school. After that all you need is a 2.0 or 2.5 and should be accustomed to hard chemistry classes etc. correct?

Members don't see this ad.

It probably depends more on the school, but I'm going to have to say absolutely not.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to keep a 3.0 in Northeastern's graduate pharmacy program >.<

I dunno if it's like this for everyone, but my friend (who's in UF pharm school) says that he works as hard as he can and always tries to make As, but usually ends up with Bs or sometimes Cs. So I don't think you'll be able to put forth minimal effort and still end up with a B or even C average.

I dunno if it's like this for everyone, but my friend (who's in UF pharm school) says that he works as hard as he can and always tries to make As, but usually ends up with Bs or sometimes Cs. So I don't think you'll be able to put forth minimal effort and still end up with a B or even C average.

People who put in minimal effort don't usually make it past the first semester.

once you get into pharm school you want to do well enough that you can become a good (knowledgeable) pharmacist. it's an entirely different motivation to do well and so yes, keep working hard!

Once you get accepted they want to try hard to keep you in the program. So if you fail a course you aren't out automatically, they work with you to the best of their ability to keep you in (in whatever way each faculty does).

Obviously its up to a certain point, you can't just di*k around because at the end of the day them letting you slide through will lead to you failing the NAPLEX and *PJE exam; and perhaps endangering people if you make it through the exams somehow.

It's smooth sailing? It seems as if the hardest part is actually doing well in pre-pharm and getting into pharmacy school. After that all you need is a 2.0 or 2.5 and should be accustomed to hard chemistry classes etc. correct?

Not to poke fun at you or be mean but don't you yourself want to academically excell rather than float by ? I mean, wouldn't you like to be a good knowledgable pharmacist ? It's like would you rather be treated by a doctor that was at the top of his class in med school or by a somebody who just barely struggled to pass classes ?

Also you gotta realize that people go into pharmacy with different backgrounds. I remember a few pople posting that they went into pharmacy with Ph. D with science, obvisouly a guy who has a Ph. D or Masters in chemistry will probably do a lot more "floating" than somebody who only completed a year of gen chem and organic.

Alot of classes in pharmacy school are hard, pre-reqs are easy except for a few like orgo, physics, etc. I mean i would think u would know better by now that nothing is guareented, i mean u just don't get a degree like that.

You have to realize curves and other things arnt so common as in cc or some universities. U can't drop a class nor can u choose ur professor so think twice before saying it's smoothing sailing. It will be more difficult than u thought but 4th year might be ok but then again you will have naplex, etc coming up by then :D.

No way! People fail out all the time, plus if they get below a C they may have to repeat either the class or the entire year depending on the school.

In defense of my post, I believe anything worth having is worth working hard for. A Pharmacist is a highly skilled/ educated professional. My aim was to help myself and maybe others that are fearful of attempting to even consider such a respected career that once they really do well in pre- pharm and get admitted into the pharmacy program.. It is a honor but at the same time possible to actually enjoy the experience and still have a life outside of studying.

In defense of my post, I believe anything worth having is worth working hard for. A Pharmacist is a highly skilled/ educated professional. My aim was to help myself and maybe others that are fearful of attempting to even consider such a respected career that once they really do well in pre- pharm and get admitted into the pharmacy program.. It is a honor but at the same time possible to actually enjoy the experience and still have a life outside of studying.

I certainly hope I enjoy the overall experience and still have a life outside of studying. I've been a perfectionist practically my entire life and my initial thought during the application process was, "Well, if I've maintained nearly a 4.0 in college, did well on the PCAT, and get admitted into pharmacy school, I guess I won't have to worry about earning A's as much anymore..." This mentality, at this point in the year, is starting to change once again and I feel I will once again strive to make straight A's throughout the four years at the cost of enjoying life at least a little. I'm definitely looking forward to becoming a pharmacist, but I'm pretty skeptical when people tell me "enjoy the experience". How is studying 24 hours a day enjoyable in pharmacy school even if you find the material interesting? I guess the feeling of competition is simply in me and want to be at the top, but at the same time, I'd like to keep my sanity. We'll see beginning in about 13 more weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah take it easy on the guy, I kinda see where hes coming from. Theres nothing wrong with a little reassurance about being able to make it through pharm school. Maybe "smooth sailing" shouldn't have been the phrase, lol.

But I'm actually beginning to worry a little myself. I've taken my pre-reqs at C.C.'s over the course of the last 7 years at like 2 classes at a time.(active duty military) So I have absolutely no concept of a full course load of upper level classes. I'm confident I can do it if I can just put forth the full effort, and I definitely will try to learn everything in school as thoroughly as possible.

It does help to know though that they will work with you to try and get you through, in case times do get tough.

so why would you want to shoot for a 2.0 to 2.5 average in pharmacy school then if you think becoming a pharmacist is worth working hard for?

Having a social life doesn't mean neglecting your academic goals. Time management is your friend. Besides, I find that studying with other people who share the same interests as you is equally rewarding as going out with my clubbing friends (although it definitely isn't as fun :) )

My strategy in undergrad was: study until I know my stuff down cold, and then I go out in the evenings and weekends. So basically, during the weekdays, I'd study til about 8pm ( I treat school like a fulltime job, put in about 40 hours a week minimum and on campus, because if i wasn't in school, i'd be slaving somewhere for 40 hours a week), and then i'd go out with my friends afterwards, and on the weekends. I may have to tweak this a little bit in pharmacy school, but hey, you do what you have to do.

My strategy in undergrad was: study until I know my stuff down cold, and then I go out in the evenings and weekends. So basically, during the weekdays, I'd study til about 8pm, and then go out with my friends afterwards, and on the weekends. I may have to tweak this a little bit in pharmacy school, but hey, you do what you have to do.
The worst part of pharmacy school is when they ask you questions that are not in the notes... "application" questions if you will. Basically, they'll ask you stuff that you can't study and then regurgitate. It wasn't bad last year, but it has become progressively harder compared to my P1 year.

Just don't get caught up in knowing stuff "down cold", because there is no way that you can memorize everything!

I've heard a lot of pharmacists say that their undergrad was the hardest part of their education. Not because of academics, just the keeping focused part. You have to take all these different classes to fufill requirements but, you aren't really interested. In pharmacy school you are actually learning the things you need to know for your career. I also work with pharmacists that don't really put in any effort after school. They don't read up on current studies. They let themselves forget what they've learned. These are the people that went to pharmacy school "for the money" not because they really LOVE the career. If you're one of those people, please don't even bother with pharmacy school.

You guys are scaring me. :scared:

Don't be scared of us, be scared of former pre-meds that will cut your throat if it guarantees them getting an A.:p

I do understand what you are saying. I've often found myself thinking the same thing. "If I can just make it into pharmacy school then things will be ok". Not easy, but the pressure will lessen. The problem with pre-pharm classes is that as has been stated, they aren't as focused. You end up doing stuff sort of all across the board and while you have that goal in mind (get into pharm school) it doesn't always feel like you are going anywhere. And the pressure of it all is intense.

I don't think anything is wrong with your post. The pressure also from prereq's is that you have this almost panic ridden state about having 4.0's so that you can even make yourself stand out a little. Once you are in pharmacy school if you get a 3.0 or a 2.5 on occasion (B or C) then it's essentially more acceptable I think. I'm sure that will also get blasted but think about it really. It's not that you slack... it's that the pressure to be perfect is lessened. I'm sure that's not the case for everyone but that's how I feel about this all. I feel like the biggest challenge is getting in. The NAPLEX at the end is obviously not an easy task... saying that though if you really put effort forth during school then it won't be as monumental as it probably appears. Similar to the PCAT in some ways, I fear it right now but I know logically that if I really pay attention and work hard in my classes then it probably won't be as bad as it seems in my mind right now.

Ok that got off on some tangents but I just wanted to say that I get what you are saying.

I should also add that I'm not a pharmacy student so have no experience of what it's like, I'm only stating what I think about the topic. And that's one of the joys of forums... we can say what we think and others can disagree. :idea:

Come one guys... I think reality shows that if you are not happy with what you are doing you must pursue the one that you really love! Pre-pharma might be a tough one but determination is needed to succeed!

depends how challenging your undergrad years were. My pharmacist at work said pharm school was smooth sailing after 4 years of undergrad.

a) you SHOULD be a pro at time mgmt and studying by now
b) graduation = money, more so with a PharmD than a BS/BA

if you went to a CC and didn't work, or a really easy college and weren't challenged, be prepared to work extra hard. But no one i talked to said p-school was a cake walk, you still have to study.

The worst part of pharmacy school is when they ask you questions that are not in the notes... "application" questions if you will. Basically, they'll ask you stuff that you can't study and then regurgitate. It wasn't bad last year, but it has become progressively harder compared to my P1 year.

Just don't get caught up in knowing stuff "down cold", because you there is no way that you can memorize everything!

Thx for the advice, you have ruined it for me...awwwwww. Jk. I'll keep that in mind when my p1 starts in a few months.

I thought the pre-pharm curriculum was pretty easy. If that is all you have done before starting pharmacy school, it may be a little more difficult adjusting to a full load of upper division classes than if you completed a B.A./B.S before pharmacy school.

I know that technically some of the pre-pharm classes are upper division (like genetics and introductory microbiology/immunology), but they are pretty easy upper division courses compared to some of the others you take to finish off a bachelor's.

I thought the pre-pharm curriculum was pretty easy. If that is all you have done before starting pharmacy school, it may be a little more difficult adjusting to a full load of upper division classes than if you completed a B.A./B.S before pharmacy school.

I know that technically some of the pre-pharm classes are upper division (like genetics and introductory microbiology/immunology), but they are pretty easy upper division courses compared to some of the others you take to finish off a bachelor's.

Good point...I actually went back and took Biochem, Micro/Immuno, and Phys 1 and 2 (long story - but it was required of me to take some upper classes before I could apply because my courses were 10 years old) and they really weren't too bad compared to some of the highest classes I took for my B.S.

I also can see where the poster is coming from...you need to do REALLY well in pre-pharm to set yourself apart from everyone else, but when you're in, you can't necessarily slack, but you are on equal ground with everyone else. I'll tell you right now, I'm used to getting mostly A's and B's in undergrad but realistically I don't expect that to be the norm when all of a sudden you're graded against many of the brightest people in the country. It's just an entirely different level.

I came, I saw, I conquered...I don't know about anyone else, but as for myself, I'm planning on studying day in and out for the next four years to enhance my chances of attaining anywhere from a 3.7 to 4.0 during pharmacy school. I've had a single B in my entire life and that's because I decided to forgo an optional final exam in one of my courses...a C I have never experienced. The thing is, being in the middle or at the bottom, even during pharmacy school, simply doesn't cut it for me. I compete with myself and have always been a perfectionist...the day I get a C is the day I will die! :eek: 3 months to go before P1 year begins...Welcome biochemistry, pharmacodynamics, anatomy and physiology, pharmaceutics 1, etc...! :love:

I came, I saw, I conquered...I don't know about anyone else, but as for myself, I'm planning on studying day in and out for the next four years to enhance my chances of attaining anywhere from a 3.7 to 4.0 during pharmacy school. I've had a single B in my entire life and that's because I decided to forgo an optional final exam in one of my courses...a C I have never experienced. The thing is, being in the middle or at the bottom, even during pharmacy school, simply doesn't cut it for me. I compete with myself and have always been a perfectionist...the day I get a C is the day I will die! :eek: 3 months to go before P1 year begins...Welcome biochemistry, pharmacodynamics, anatomy and physiology, pharmaceutics 1, etc...! :love:

You remind me of me when I was in undergrad - that is, until I took PChem and found out that I really wouldn't die when I got a C! I do know what you are saying though - sometimes we are our own worst competition. I thought that I could be happy with just getting A's and B's in pharmacy school (I have kids so a lot of other stuff going on in life), and my husband just laughed at me before I started and said "You will never be able to stand that because you always want to make A's". And, of course - he was right!

Just remember - you are unlikely to ever have a time in your life again when you can be solely focused on yourself and school, so try to live a little in between all that studying!

Remember that a C is still look at as average. Being average in a class where almost everyone is used to getting A's and B's in their pre-pharm work is pretty good. Second, it is about the experience and knowledge you get, not the grade you can pull out of a class. An A in a class from one school, may have been a whole lot easier to get then the same class from another instructor at a different school. It is the information, not the grade that should motivate you to study. Some instructors don't test over wide catagories of information, instead they pick the small details. Typically, people don't do as well on that type of test, but they can still know the material very well. I'm experiencing that in my Anti-microbials this year. :laugh: The important things is that a person is safe and a good parmacist to their patients. No one cares if you graduated with a 4.0 when your working. They care that you know what you are doing!:thumbup:

Ahh studying is overrated. If you need to hole up in the library 17 hours out of the day to pull off an A, I'm concerned at what may happen 7 years down the line when you have to make a decision in 20 seconds about a pt who's coding.

I mean...I barely pulled a 3.0, my transcript looks like a minefield of C's...and we're pretty much at the same point. Tells you a lot, huh?

Ah just my $.02, feel free to disagree.

Ahh studying is overrated. If you need to hole up in the library 17 hours out of the day to pull off an A, I'm concerned at what may happen 7 years down the line when you have to make a decision in 20 seconds about a pt who's coding.

I mean...I barely pulled a 3.0, my transcript looks like a minefield of C's...and we're pretty much at the same point. Tells you a lot, huh?

Ah just my $.02, feel free to disagree.
Good grades can enhance your application. If you're thinking about doing anything after pharmacy school, then you will probably need to reconsider how much you value studying. If you're ready to work for a corporate retail chain for the rest of your career, then C = PharmD.

The hardest part of pharmacy school is getting through it. I hate to say this, but it's a long, taxing four years. You might as well study hard in the beginning to get your GPA up. Most likely, your grades will go down during your second year of pharmacy school or whenever they cram all of the hard classes together.

Personally, I wouldn't aim for the minimum. If you aim above that, then you'll have a nicer cushion to sit on during finals week.

I wouldn't agree with that. If you look at the distributions of grades, typically there are more Bs than anything else.

Exactly. The whole 'C' average thing would be based on a general population and mean that a decent number of people got D's and F's. I can guarantee there aren't that many people failing these classes.

The last thing you want to be is a P2 sitting in a class with a hundred P1's.

The hardest part of pharmacy school is getting through it. I hate to say this, but it's a long, taxing four years. You might as well study hard in the beginning to get your GPA up. Most likely, your grades will go down during your second year of pharmacy school or whenever they cram all of the hard classes together.

You guys are STILL scaring me. I don't know if I am capable of working any harder than I had too for pre-reqs. :(

You guys are STILL scaring me. I don't know if I am capable of working any harder than I had too for pre-reqs. :(
I'm not trying to scare you. Consider what I say as another source of information that you can shift through. Knowledge is power.

The accreditation body, state boards of pharmacy, and the NAPLEX will make it more difficult to become a pharmacist each year. These agencies want to raise standards, minimum guidelines, etc. For example, you have to do IPPE rotations now.
I like WVU's "cookie cutter" analogy, because the accreditation body will force schools to comply with their standards, which means that you will be challenged more so than someone who graduated with previous standards.

I would rather you know what to expect than to assume something based on a pharmacist's opinion who graduated four or more years ago. If you walk into pharmacy school prepared to work hard, then you will do just fine!

I should also add that I'm not a pharmacy student so have no experience of what it's like, I'm only stating what I think about the topic. :idea:

I applaud you for your candor.

Cheburashka, which pharmacy school are you attending?

Its not gonna hurt you to study hard and know your stuff...thats for sure!!! Besides, what you dont learn the first time you will most likely have to re-learn for the boards.

I'm not trying to scare you. Consider what I say as another source of information that you can shift through. Knowledge is power.

The accreditation body, state boards of pharmacy, and the NAPLEX will make it more difficult to become a pharmacist each year. These agencies want to raise standards, minimum guidelines, etc. For example, you have to do IPPE rotations now.
I like WVU's "cookie cutter" analogy, because the accreditation body will force schools to comply with their standards, which means that you will be challenged more so than someone who graduated with previous standards.

I would rather you know what to expect than to assume something based on a pharmacist's opinion who graduated four or more years ago. If you walk into pharmacy school prepared to work hard, then you will do just fine!

While I certainly agree that professional standards should be enhanced in any profession, I do believe that if you have a need or demand to fulfill something, you can't be too fastidious. What I'm referring to is the pharmacist shortage in the US. Everyone complains there are not enough pharmacists in this country, but complaints shouldn't be made as long as it is becoming increasingly more and more difficult each year to become a Pharm.D. Making the requirements more stringent possibly deters otherwise qualified individuals to pursue a career in the pharmaceutical sciences. Therefore, I don't really think anyone should gripe about how much pharmacists are needed. Recently, I've heard from a few individuals, current pharmacists included, that a Pharm.D. will no longer take six years post-secondary study...now another year might be added to total 7 years. Good luck meeting any shortage in that manner. The same thing is happening with nursing, as last year I found out the nursing exam, which I don't know the name of, was revamped to be made more difficult. I'm not suggesting standards should be watered down, but they should remain more or less the same...it is already difficult enough to get into a pharm.d. program and why would 7 years instead of 6 be necessary to practice pharmacy successfully? Explain that.

While I certainly agree that professional standards should be enhanced in any profession, I do believe that if you have a need or demand to fulfill something, you can't be too fastidious. What I'm referring to is the pharmacist shortage in the US. Everyone complains there are not enough pharmacists in this country, but complaints shouldn't be made as long as it is becoming increasingly more and more difficult each year to become a Pharm.D. Making the requirements more stringent possibly deters otherwise qualified individuals to pursue a career in the pharmaceutical sciences. Therefore, I don't really think anyone should gripe about how much pharmacists are needed. Recently, I've heard from a few individuals, current pharmacists included, that a Pharm.D. will no longer take six years post-secondary study...now another year might be added to total 7 years. Good luck meeting any shortage in that manner. The same thing is happening with nursing, as last year I found out the nursing exam, which I don't know the name of, was revamped to be made more difficult. I'm not suggesting standards should be watered down, but they should remain more or less the same...it is already difficult enough to get into a pharm.d. program and why would 7 years instead of 6 be necessary to practice pharmacy successfully? Explain that.
(You should use paragraph breaks to make it easier for people to read your posts.)

Pharmacists are not part of the general labor population. You can't crank out pharmacists like you can fill waitress vacancies at a restaurant. Therefore, if the point of pharmacy school was to fill vacancies, then each pharmacy school class could have 500-1,000 students. The point of pharmacy school, in this day and age, is to educate students to become professional clinicians. Like so many other health professions, the standards are being raised to reflect the needs of patients and the professions themselves.

If the role of a pharmacist was to simply check if the correct pills went into a patient's prescription bottle, then the Doctorate of Pharmacy degree would not be necessary. A bachelors degree in pharmacy would be more than adequate if the sole purpose of a pharmacist was to check product accuracy.

The PharmD degree allows the pharmacist to practice as a clinician, which is a must in certain jobs and situations. When a patient comes into a retail pharmacy with a complicated prescription, the pharmacist should be able to adequately inform the patient of the drug's proper usage and side effects. The pharmacist also needs to inform the patient of potential drug-drug interactions if the patient is taking it with any other medications. Additionally, the pharmacist needs to have professional judgment, which can be learned in pharmacy school, so that s/he can make an executive decision to call the patient's physician when clarification, dosage adjustment, or a change in the medication is needed. Physicians make mistakes like everyone else. Pharmacists serve as a check in healthcare's delicate checks and balances system.

If a college of pharmacy feels as though certain pre-req courses can be completed in the undergraduate setting, then I do not see a problem with increasing the pre-req program to three years. This would allow students to utilize their time in pharmacy school more wisely. In my opinion, the first semester of my P1 year was a waste of time when I could have been learning more about pharmacy itself. I could have completed all of those courses prior to pharmacy school. If students enter pharmacy school with more courses under their belts, then they could spend less time studying the basics and more time on the essentials.

However the schools want to divide up seven years is up to them. I personally feel that pre-reqs should be two years and pharmacy school should be five years, with the last year completely focused on two or three branches of pharmacy that students plan on going into. One of the greatest benefits of pharmacy school is that the pre-reqs are two years. However, I do not think that the program should be less pharmacy-related to accommodate for general science courses like A&P, Biochemistry, and Biostatistics.

Good grades can enhance your application. If you're thinking about doing anything after pharmacy school, then you will probably need to reconsider how much you value studying. If you're ready to work for a corporate retail chain for the rest of your career, then C = PharmD.

Personally, I wouldn't aim for the minimum. If you aim above that, then you'll have a nicer cushion to sit on during finals week.

Oh I didn't say I was aiming to get C's...I was saying, it's sad when you HAVE to hole up for 17 hours to get A's. I have a few friends like that...great people, but if you put them in a situation in which they CANNOT prepare in advance, they simply break down.

That second comment I made bragging about my abundance of C's was pure ego talking. My situation was probably different than that of the OP and other posters above, but that's for another thread.

Oh I didn't say I was aiming to get C's...I was saying, it's sad when you HAVE to hole up for 17 hours to get A's. I have a few friends like that...great people, but if you put them in a situation in which they CANNOT prepare in advance, they simply break down.

That second comment I made bragging about my abundance of C's was pure ego talking. My situation was probably different than that of the OP and other posters above, but that's for another thread.
Thanks for clearing that up! :thumbup:

I would recommend making B's or better on your exams and assignments. If you have a C or lower in class going into the final, then you'll have work much harder to pass the class than students who have A's and B's. It puts you in a bad position, you know?
Finals week is stressful to begin with, and the last thing that you would want is to be failing the class and to have to make a 95% on the final to pass it. Sure, it can be done, but it's probably highly unlikely considering that you don't already have an A in the class.

Pharmacists are jacks of all trades, BUT masters of one. If your friends are going into retail pharmacy, then they're in for a rude awakening. You simply can not prepare for every situation in retail.

I would have never imagined calling the 1-800 number on the back of an enema box to find out if the patient could use the enema lying down, but it happened. Guess what we found out... you shouldn't use an enema lying down, because you could hit a nerve. I highly doubt I would have learned that otherwise.
You have to be ready for almost anything in retail pharmacy, EXCEPT knowing where the socks, paint thinner, or nose clippers are. :p You can send those idiots to the manager or the front of the store to ask the right person.

I just thought you unknowingly misquoted it.