-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Is it safe to assume your interviewer has not looked at your application?
Started by Dr.Forssmann
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There is a section on here that shows all interview formats at nearly every school and always assume they read your application. You're a two year member, you should know this.
I always tell my students to always go into an interview assuming that the interviewer hasn't read the application. Why? Because having served on the admissions committee, I know how hectic my colleagues' schedules are. The time set aside to review an application may be lost because of a patient situation or emergency. There are also times when the assigned interviewer is replaced by another because of illness, family issues, etc. There may not be enough time for the new interviewer to become familiar with your application.
Although you would expect and hope that your interviewer would have read your application, it doesn't always happen. I find that many students become flustered when they realize that their application hasn't been read. My recommendation is to assume that the interviewer hasn't read your application, and approach every experience knowing the key points you must get across about yourself. Then find a way to cover these points in the questions that are asked. Also, it's best not to use such expressions as, "I don't know if you had a chance to read my personal statement..."
Samir Desai, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Baylor College of Medicine
Although you would expect and hope that your interviewer would have read your application, it doesn't always happen. I find that many students become flustered when they realize that their application hasn't been read. My recommendation is to assume that the interviewer hasn't read your application, and approach every experience knowing the key points you must get across about yourself. Then find a way to cover these points in the questions that are asked. Also, it's best not to use such expressions as, "I don't know if you had a chance to read my personal statement..."
Samir Desai, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Baylor College of Medicine
I try to encourage people to be prepared for either situation but don't assume anything. In interviews always start with the more basic points you want to get across, but be prepared for the moment when they surprise you and know your application inside and out. (the interviewer at the school where I matriculated knew every moment of my life! He knew every event, school transfer, and story. I was not as prepared to answer the extremely pointed questions he asked, so my advise is practice a little of everything!)
I hope I get someone like this. Like, I didn't put all that energy into the primary for it not to be read and discussed thoroughly! What a privilege it would be to delve into my app so deeply in an interview. Sounds efficient and works to the advantage of the applicant any dayMy interviewers highlighted my applications and pre-wrote questions...
I hope I get someone like this. Like, I didn't put all that energy into the primary for it not to be read and discussed thoroughly! What a privilege it would be to delve into my app so deeply in an interview. Sounds efficient and works to the advantage of the applicant any day
Unless they had a terrible app 😉... but yeah, agreed in general. I would prefer to have them already be acquainted with the basics so that we can go into more specifics.
No.
There is a section on here that shows all interview formats at nearly every school and always assume they read your application. You're a two year member, you should know this.

Wisdom+There is a section on here that shows all interview formats at nearly every school and always assume they read your application. You're a two year member, you should know this.

Both of my interviewers knew my application front to back; one even recited my words in a particular bit back to me. I don't think it's safe to assume anything (this goes for anything in life) and to be prepared for anything you've put in primary and secondary.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Where was thisBoth of my interviewers knew my application front to back; one even recited my words in a particular bit back to me. I don't think it's safe to assume anything (this goes for anything in life) and to be prepared for anything you've put in primary and secondary.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 2K