Is it time to cash in and do something else?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chicken-n-beer

Membership Revoked
Removed
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two pre II rejections and no interview invites. Sick of seeing so many people I know are mediocre and disingenuous get consideration with record speed. Feels like no matter what I do, it’s never good enough. I’m considering just perusing a doctorate in science and leaving this shell game alone.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Two pre II rejections and no interview invites. Sick of seeing so many people I know are mediocre and disingenuous get consideration with record speed. Feels like no matter what I do, it’s never good enough. I’m considering just perusing a doctorate in science and leaving this shell game alone.
I sympathize with your frustration and disappointment, but can you tell us a little more about yourself and your qualifications?

FYI, whether you get an II in September or January, as long as it ends in an A, it doesn't matter when the II comes. And whether you apply once or more than once, as long as you get in, you still spend most of your working life as a physician.

Whether you go for a PhD or an MD/DO depends not on when others get IIs or As, but how badly you want to be a physician vs a PhD. They can provide very different careers and life styles. It also can be fairly difficult and competitive to get into PhD programs.

Finally the people you feel are mediocre and disingenuous may have something going for them in terms of their achievements and insight into their experiences that you are unaware of. It happens all the time. They also may have presented their qualifications and fit more effectively.

Don't automatically blame "the system" and fail to take responsibility. Doing so will prevent you from improving what needs to be improved whether you need to reapply to med school or decide to pursue a different path.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
I sympathize with your frustration and disappointment, but can you tell us a little more about yourself and your qualifications?

FYI, whether you get an II in September or January, as long as it ends in an A, it doesn't matter when the II comes. And whether you apply once or more than once, as long as you get in, you still spend most of your working life as a physician.

Whether you go for a PhD or an MD/DO depends not on when others get IIs or As, but how badly you want to be a physician vs a PhD. They can provide very different careers and life styles. It also can be fairly difficult and competitive to get into PhD programs.

Finally the people you feel are mediocre and disingenuous may have something going for them in terms of their achievements and insight into their experiences that you are unaware of. It happens all the time. They also may have presented their qualifications and fit more effectively.

Don't automatically blame "the system" and fail to take responsibility. Doing so will prevent you from improving what needs to be improved whether you need to reapply to med school or decide to pursue a different path.

I understand your point intellectually but, based on what I’ve seen, I know many people who sound good on paper but are terrible people. I know I can only work on me but it’s demoralizing to see people who can put up a good front be praised. Maybe I’m just becoming cynical with age but I know I’ve worked hard. I have a 3.8 SMP GPA and an MCAT a little below 510. Yes, my application could be better but I think it’s just up to chance at this point. I can’t keep gambling and hoping someone gives me a chance.

I understand your point intellectually but, based on what I’ve seen, I know many people who sound good on paper but are terrible people. I know I can only work on me but it’s demoralizing to see people who can put up a good front be praised. Maybe I’m just becoming cynical with age but I know I’ve worked hard. I have a 3.8 SMP GPA and an MCAT a little below 510. Yes, my application could be better but I think it’s just up to chance at this point. I can’t keep gambling and hoping someone gives me a chance.
Too early to give it up now.
The HBCUs you applied to do their interviews very late compared to other MDs, like Feb to April

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Have you applied MD and DO?

Getting into medical school isn't a popularity contest. it's an imperfect process that attempts to determine who will make a wonderful physician both technically and in terms of interpersonal skill and commitment to the field.

If you want to switch to PhD, that's certainly a worthy career. There is also nothing wrong with hoping for an acceptance and planning for a rejection. If that's what you're doing, I think you're being smart. I just think it's too early to give up.

Reactions: 5 users
Too early to give it up now.
The HBCUs you applied to do their interviews very late compared to other MDs, like Feb to April
I applied to HBCUs and PWIs but I guess time will tell. It just sucks knowing I'm passionate about serving in a role as a physician and consistently being passed over for every opportunity. Maybe a school will see my drive and passion and give me a shot. I'm not giving up per se but I have less unbridled optimism than I did when I was very young. I understand schools want ROI when they invest in students but this whole process seems like reading tea leaves.

Last edited:
hang in there man; it is early and unless youre just not wanting to go for the MD/DO anymore theres no point overanalyzing

that said would like more info on how many schools you applied to and whether you included DO

hang in there man; it is early and unless youre just not wanting to go for the MD/DO anymore theres no point overanalyzing

that said would like more info on how many schools you applied to and whether you included DO

I applied to around 25 MD schools but did not include any DO schools

This is my third cycle, so I definitely understand how you're feeling. Hang in there.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users

check this out and I would add some DO schools if you have the time; its late but I don't think its so late to ignore the option

• Care
There is your problem...

You want to become a PhD with minimal job prospect instead of becoming a physician... where you can make 300-500k/yr without killing yourself.

I have a MD degree and I work with DOs, and no one gives a damn.

If you want to make more than 300-500k, become a radiologist or GI or heme/onc doc. These 3 basically have their own $$$ printing machine.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
SMP GPA may be high, but the prior undergraduate record also holds a great deal of weight. Depending on what your undergraduate GPA was you could be getting autoscreened, depending on how each school sets up their screens.

You could go after a PhD, certainly. Though you'll find that's even more of an unrewarding slog, most likely. I would recommend seeing this cycle through and if it's unsuccessful throwing in some DO schools next time, as they'll be far more likely to land you an invite. Yeah, some specialties will be much harder to access, but once you match no one generally cares where you went to school.

Reactions: 8 users
There is your problem...

You want to become a PhD with minimal job prospect instead of becoming a physician... where you can make 300-500k/yr without killing yourself.

If you want to make more than 300-500k, become a radiologist or GI or heme/onc doc. These 3 basically have their own $$$ printing machine.
I didn't mean to disparage DOs, I just did not research applying to DO schools. I'm a very utilitarinan person and I'd be more than happy to apply DO.

Reactions: 1 users
Out of sheer curiosity, what do you mean by mediocre?
In saying mediocre, I'm describing people who are very intelligent but have personalities and motives that are EXTREMELY lacking. I know many people who "check all the boxes" but are pursuing medicine for several ego stroking reasons. For example, I knew a guy when I was shadowing who was describing a mission trip to the Caribbean and he just reiterating how impoverished the area was when he visited (mind you, I'm of Cuban descent). After our conversation, I learned that this guy literally just took a vacation, did little outreach and basically learned nothing. I can guarantee he added a line to his resume to appear as though he so caring, altruistic and culturally competent.

I know I'm on a soapbox but it seems like medical school espouse all this rhetoric about diversity and being culturally competent but take no meaningful steps to live up to these declarations. Medical schools tend to accept the same assembly line cookie cutter people without fail. I have seen first hand the disconnect between POCs and doctors who either could care less about them or treat them in a very cold and sterile way. It's demoralizing to see a doctor light up and connect with some patients and treat others like giant petri dishes and be so detached.

I'm not bitter or angry but more so becoming more jaded and skeptical of people's motives and intenteions.

• Care
I didn't mean to disparage DOs, I just did not research applying to DO schools. I'm a very utilitarinan person and I'd be more than happy to apply DO.
DO applications tend to go later into the season. Could throw some out there now, but would risk being a reapplicant next year. Your stats will 99% get you a DO acceptance if you apply broadly enough next year, unless you've got some red flags hiding elsewhere in your application or your personal statement is a dumpster fire.

Reactions: 5 users
DO applications tend to go later into the season. Could throw some out there now, but would risk being a reapplicant next year. Your stats will 99% get you a DO acceptance if you apply broadly enough next year, unless you've got some red flags hiding elsewhere in your application or your personal statement is a dumpster fire.
If I were him/her, I would apply to 15+ DO right now.

Reactions: 3 users
If I were him/her, I would apply to 15+ DO right now.
I second this sentiment. I know people who sent in DO apps around this time of year and managed to get in that cycle. I think the DO cycle running a bit late still holds true. OP I would suggest you use the ChooseDO tool, pick about 20ish DO schools, and fire off an AACOMAS asap.

Reactions: 6 users
As a reinventor, you need to have do schools on your list. Beggars can't be choosy.

And if the people who are making you jealous are as bad as you say they are, how do you know they are simply not lying to you?

Also, Cubans are not underrepresented in medicine. Do you have substantial service to communities of color, especially to African-American ones? If not applying to the historically my colleges are donations.

Reactions: 7 users
In saying mediocre, I'm describing people who are very intelligent but have personalities and motives that are EXTREMELY lacking. I know many people who "check all the boxes" but are pursuing medicine for several ego stroking reasons. For example, I knew a guy when I was shadowing who was describing a mission trip to the Caribbean and he just reiterating how impoverished the area was when he visited (mind you, I'm of Cuban descent). After our conversation, I learned that this guy literally just took a vacation, did little outreach and basically learned nothing. I can guarantee he added a line to his resume to appear as though he so caring, altruistic and culturally competent.

I know I'm on a soapbox but it seems like medical school espouse all this rhetoric about diversity and being culturally competent but take no meaningful steps to live up to these declarations. Medical schools tend to accept the same assembly line cookie cutter people without fail. I have seen first hand the disconnect between POCs and doctors who either could care less about them or treat them in a very cold and sterile way. It's demoralizing to see a doctor light up and connect with some patients and treat others like giant petri dishes and be so detached.

I'm not bitter or angry but more so becoming more jaded and skeptical of people's motives and intenteions.
Have to disagree. We absolutely do not accept “the same cookie cutter people” at all schools. Once you get past the basic stats (we do need to be confident our accepted students can handle med school) we value service, life experience, and diversity.

• Love
There is your problem...

The historic unemployment rate for physicians in the U.S. is <1%. The historic unemployment rate for science PhDs in the U.S. is <3%. I am not sure where you got the data to make the claim that there are no jobs for science PhDs, unless the only jobs you would consider are tenure-track positions at Harvard, MIT, and Stanford.

I am a practicing physician that saw the light years ago and decided to go back and get a STEM PhD. I know exactly zero unemployed science PhDs, and all of them are happy in their careers, which are at research universities, research institutes, big-tech, big-finance, consulting firms, biotech, and start-ups. They are treated with dignity and only interact with other intelligent people at work. None of them ever talk about wanting to quit or retire early. I get to experience this as well during every moment I work on research.

Conversely, every doctor I know (save 1 Urologist), and I know hundreds, wants to quit medicine immediately and regrets ever becoming a physician. This spans Intensivists, Cardiologists, Neurologists, Nephrologists, Radiologists, Ophthalmologists, Pediatricians and Emergency Physicians.

Sadly, none of these doctors have any marketable skill or way to make money outside of clinical care, so they all chase the FIRE pathway in hopes of retiring as soon as possible. None of them are older than 40. None of them have any hope for a meaningful career in medicine.

• Wow
  • Sad
As a reinventor, you need to have do schools on your list. Beggars can't be choosy.

And if the people who are making you jealous are as bad as you say they are, how do you know they are simply not lying to you?

Also, Cubans are not underrepresented in medicine. Do you have substantial service to communities of color, especially to African-American ones? If not applying to the historically my colleges are donations.
I'm African American and Cuban. I'll look into DO.

The historic unemployment rate for physicians in the U.S. is <1%. The historic unemployment rate for science PhDs in the U.S. is <3%. I am not sure where you got the data to make the claim that there are no jobs for science PhDs, unless the only jobs you would consider are tenure-track positions at Harvard, MIT, and Stanford.

I am a practicing physician that saw the light years ago and decided to go back and get a STEM PhD. I know exactly zero unemployed science PhDs, and all of them are happy in their careers, which are at research universities, research institutes, big-tech, big-finance, consulting firms, biotech, and start-ups. They are treated with dignity and only interact with other intelligent people at work. None of them ever talk about wanting to quit or retire early. I get to experience this as well during every moment I work on research.

Conversely, every doctor I know (save 1 Urologist), and I know hundreds, wants to quit medicine immediately and regrets ever becoming a physician. This spans Intensivists, Cardiologists, Neurologists, Nephrologists, Radiologists, Ophthalmologists, Pediatricians and Emergency Physicians.

Sadly, none of these doctors have any marketable skill or way to make money outside of clinical care, so they all chase the FIRE pathway in hopes of retiring as soon as possible. None of them are older than 40. None of them have any hope for a meaningful career in medicine.

I mean, they can just…leave?

1) administration
2) basic science research
3) clinical research
4) pharmaceutical or public health consulting
5) professor of university of medical school (or PA/RN/any other health profession)
6) ?????

There’s a lot of options if you have a terminal medical degree.

I might be wrong but from one of my colleagues who has a PhD in STEM told me a lot of the PhD jobs are dead-end low-paying jobs.... He was teaching biology at a university and went back to med school.

The few hospitalists I work with are ok with the job... 2 of them even say that they are getting paid 350-400k for one of 'easiest' jobs in the world.

Anyway, I never subscribe to the idea I have to LOVE my job.. as long as I don't hate going to it, I am more than ok with that.

I am glad STEM PhD are doing well.

I mean, they can just…leave?

1) administration
2) basic science research
3) clinical research
4) pharmaceutical or public health consulting
5) professor of university of medical school (or PA/RN/any other health profession)
6) ?????

There’s a lot of options if you have a terminal medical degree.
You would be very surprised. (1) is usually the path most take, as it is the most accessible. (2) and (3) are out-of-reach for most physicians. A small minority of physicians have the training to conduct well-funded clinical research, and even fewer have the necessary training to be competitive for basic science funding. Medical school does not teach research as part of the core curriculum. The physicians I know that are trying to leave clinical for a non-clinical career are all scrambling for (4), mostly in Pharma in "Medical Director" roles. These roles are rapidly saturating such that the early movers will fill all of these spots very fast.

• Hmm
I know exactly zero unemployed science PhDs, and all of them are happy in their careers,
I was taught by plenty of science phDs in undergrad some of whom confided to me that there were more researchers fighting for less funding nowadays, plenty of their colleagues were getting used and abused via "instructor" positions (because there weren't enough high paying industry or tenure-track jobs to go around) , and that the golden age of getting a science phD was long gone.

That being said maybe these guys were just having a particularly rough go of it.

I was taught by plenty of science phDs in undergrad some of whom confided to me that there were more researchers fighting for less funding nowadays, plenty of their colleagues were getting used and abused via "instructor" positions (because there weren't enough high paying industry or tenure-track jobs to go around) , and that the golden age of getting a science phD was long gone.

That being said maybe these guys were just having a particularly rough go of it.

Maybe not... My guess is 70-75% of science PhD are stuck in these non tenure-track jobs making 70-80k/yr... These days RN with an associate degree make that. I dont know about other people, but I like certainty when it comes to my livelihood.

Maybe not... My guess is 70-75% of science PhD are stuck in these non tenure-track jobs making 70-80k/yr... These days RN with an associate degree make that. I dont know about other people, but I like certainty when it comes to my livelihood.
A small fraction of STEM PhDs pursue a career in academics (tenure-track) these days. The majority go straight into industry. I do not include "Medical Sciences", "Biology", or social sciences when I reference this. If you do a true STEM PhD (Computer Science, Any Engineering field, Math, Statistics, etc.) you have a line of employers waiting on you at graduation. Yes, many non-STEM PhDs that decide to pursue academic careers are being used and abused as life-long "Instructors", getting pennies on the dollar for what they deserve for teaching and with no hope for tenure track.

You should always have a backup plan, preferably in another lucrative field.

Also I wouldn’t count on GI as a DO

Don't beat yourself up! This is my third cycle applying and I have taken the MCAT 3 times. I just got my first II after many years of writing, rewriting, improving my app. Like someone said above it is all about your dedication to the pursuit of becoming a physician and the II date does not matter whether it is the first interview day or the last.

Also don't limit yourself to just MD schools. DO schools have gained so much traction in the last 5-7 years for residency placements.

Some of my classmates are literally vile people, so I understand your frustration. Some got in because mom and dad are docs so they went to med school to fulfill their parents’ dreams. Some never had a job before and don’t know how to talk to patients at all.

But I also got in and so did really awesome genuine people in my class. And you might be able to get in as well- be the GOOD kind of doctor that patients like. The doc who listens, advocates, and practices evidence based medicine. Focus on that not on the others- patients will themselves be able to weed out these people eventually. The system itself needs a lot of work as I agree too many people get in to medicine that really should have no say over peoples’ lives. But us as individuals cannot do anything to change it right now. Hopefully one day the system can get some much needed updating.

• Care
  • Love
Some of my classmates are literally vile people, so I understand your frustration. Some got in because mom and dad are docs so they went to med school to fulfill their parents’ dreams. Some never had a job before and don’t know how to talk to patients at all.

But I also got in and so did really awesome genuine people in my class. And you might be able to get in as well- be the GOOD kind of doctor that patients like. The doc who listens, advocates, and practices evidence based medicine. Focus on that not on the others- patients will themselves be able to weed out these people eventually. The system itself needs a lot of work as I agree too many people get in to medicine that really should have no say over peoples’ lives. But us as individuals cannot do anything to change it right now. Hopefully one day the system can get some much needed updating.
Thank you. I really needed to hear that this morning. I always try to practice being the change I'd like to see. Hopefully people like you and I can affect change in the system at some point. In the iterim, I guess we have to strive to be our best and not focus on worrying about others' behavior. My Dad used to tell me all the time, that when it comes to other people, all you can control is your response to what they do and you shouldn't expect too much of people.

Hope you have a good one!

• Care
It sounds like you’ve gotten a ton of feedback and advice already, but I just wanted to add my story to the mix. I applied 3 times before getting accepted. I took the mcat 3 times. If I didn’t get accepted I would’ve applied at least one more cycle. My point is, being a physician was the only career I could see myself doing. My beloved pre med advisor once told me, “how badly do you want to be a physician? And what are you will to do to get there?” She gave me this advice when I was extremely downtrodden after receiving my first MCAT results. I did not want to take it again, but her words lit a fire beneath me and I pushed forward. I think now is a good time to be introspective and see if being a doctor is what you really want. If you can see yourself going into other careers then maybe you should more seriously consider those. Wish you the best of luck! The application process is a wicked game, so I totally understand your frustration. But you can do it!!!

Thank you. I really needed to hear that this morning. I always try to practice being the change I'd like to see. Hopefully people like you and I can affect change in the system at some point. In the iterim, I guess we have to strive to be our best and not focus on worrying about others' behavior. My Dad used to tell me all the time, that when it comes to other people, all you can control is your response to what they do and you shouldn't expect too much of people.

Hope you have a good one!
No problem! It's definitely something that has deeply bothered me as well. But I just do my best! I'm in interview season for residency right now and seeing my hard work turn into interview invites has been extremely moving. I hope you are able to get in somewhere and make a difference for your patients. I would also add on DO schools if you can! I am a DO student and feel like I have been well prepared in my program to be a decent intern.

• Love

How many PhDs do you know who make the kind of many that the average MD makes? Some of the highest paid PhDs at NIH, who are tops in their fields (i.e NAS members) make about 250K

How many PhDs do you know who make the kind of many that the average MD makes? Some of the highest paid PhDs at NIH, who are tops in their fields (i.e NAS members) make about 250K
Those high ranking NIH PhDs are all in government jobs, which are known to have lower salaries than industry. My anecdotal evidence is biased to higher STEM salaries, as I have spent my entire career on the coasts and know many PhDs in big-tech, which has higher salaries. I know several non-PhD workers in tech with only a MS in Computer Science that are making millions of dollars a year in total compensation (base + stock). The low-end starting salary for STEM PhDs that I know personally is in the 120k range for a research scientist job at an institute/non-profit. The high-end starting salary is in the low 300s range at big-tech, but again those jobs have the ability to compensate in the millions after a decade or so. More than most doctors. Elsewhere, an academic non-government example would be well-known Neuroscience researcher Arthur Toga who was making 1 million dollars a year at UCLA before being poached to USC, where he is most certainly making more than 1 million dollars a year now.

For a more objective look into industry salaries for STEM workers I suggest: Levels.fyi | Salaries & Tools to Level Up Your Career
You can see that SWE at Apple, for example, are making 350k after 6-8 years of "experience".

Lastly, you will find that 10-15 years after you graduate medical school and you feel closer to a glorified social worker than a scientist / critical thinker, that making 600k in a job without dignity or creativity of thought is worth giving up along with a 50% pay-cut to make 200k-300k in science or some other field where you really enjoy the work, only interact with smart people, and work half the hours of a clinical career.

Being truly "rich" is being able to choose to do the work that you want to do, not being paid a high salary to do a job that you do not like. Again, every doctor I know wants to quit medicine. Mid-carrer, they would all take a 50% pay cut to work a job that they love.

The poster might be a top PhD, so it might be difficult for him to understand the reality of the average PhD...

The average MD like myself can make 350-400k without killing oneself.

I had recruiter today that emailed me a locum offer 40 minutes away from my home $2160/day as a daytime hospitalist. I told him I am not leaving my house for anything less than $2400/day.

I would say go for a neuroscience Ph.D and pivot to AI - I heard you can make $1M/year with stocks pretty quickly.

The poster might be a top PhD, so it might be difficult for him to understand the reality of the average PhD...

The average MD like myself can make 350-400k without killing oneself.

I had recruiter today that emailed me a locum offer 40 minutes away from my home $2160/day as a daytime hospitalist. I told him I am not leaving my house for anything less than $2400/day.
That was exactly my point:
To make that kind of money, i.e. 250K, as a PhD you have to be at the top of your game ---- like major awards, NAS member.
To make 250K as an MD, you can be quite average.

Let's put it this way:
The grass is always greener....
There are plenty of PhDs in industry who're unhappy with the boring work but stik cit out, hoping the company gets bought out, have to move to the business side to make the big bucks, or suddenly find themselves out of a job at age 50 because the pharma company closes their research division.

Look into being a DPM. Diverse classes/colleagues. Lucrative career. Flexible career choices. I never looked back. Surgery, academia, research etc. it’s what you want it to be. I’m a 21 year VA podiatrist. Loans paid off, retirement plan and pension.

Are you feeling burnt out? I remember feeling similar to what you’re describing when I was having trouble with my first year of medical school and constantly worrying about passing my classes. got to a point where I felt negative about everything - myself, my classmates, medicine as a whole.

Are you feeling burnt out? I remember feeling similar to what you’re describing when I was having trouble with my first year of medical school and constantly worrying about passing my classes. got to a point where I felt negative about everything - myself, my classmates, medicine as a whole.

I don't believe I'm feeling burn out. I feel fairly invigorated and focused yet when I keep seeing the disconnect between people's words and actions, it becomes draining. I am by no means perfect but I tend to be pretty genuine and expect others to follow suit. I feel very motivated as of late and when I reflect, my motivations are generally altruistic. I guess I mentioned being disillusioned earlier because I keep hearing people in the medical community espouse helping the undeserved but it seems to be lip service. The twinges of negativity I'm feeling, at least in my opinion, are based on what I see versus some nebulous negativity I'm creating in my mind.

I don't believe I'm feeling burn out. I feel fairly invigorated and focused yet when I keep seeing the disconnect between people's words and actions, it becomes draining. I am by no means perfect but I tend to be pretty genuine and expect others to follow suit. I feel very motivated as of late and when I reflect, my motivations are generally altruistic. I guess I mentioned being disillusioned earlier because I keep hearing people in the medical community espouse helping the undeserved but it seems to be lip service. The twinges of negativity I'm feeling, at least in my opinion, are based on what I see versus some nebulous negativity I'm creating in my mind.

You seem far too concerned with the results other people are getting. Have some fresh eyes look at your app. They can help you re-evaluate your app for weaknesses/revamping your personal statement. You can also see about getting help in evaluating your responses to the secondaries you’ve been getting to make sure they’re coming off as you intended to the person viewing it. Your energy would be better directed at focusing on your app rather than how other people’s cycle’s are going and whether you think they’re deserving of a spot in medicine. Also the cycle hasn’t ended yet. You still have a chance of getting accepted somewhere before it’s over.

Last edited:
You seem far too concerned with the results other people are getting. Have some fresh eyes look at your app. They can help you re-evaluate your app for weaknesses/revamping your personal statement. You can also see about getting help in evaluating your responses to the secondaries you’ve been getting to make sure they’re coming off as you intended to the person viewing it. Your energy would be better directed at focusing on your app rather than how other people’s cycle’s are going and whether you think they’re deserving of a spot in medicine. Also the cycle hasn’t ended yet. You still have a chance of getting accepted somewhere before it’s over.
I don't think this is an apropos perspective. I'm not super invested in the results others are getting but rather how disingenuous the entire process tends to be. This is my second application cycle and I've improved drastically. I carefully wrote and edited everything related to my primary and secondaries. It's not up to me to determine who gets a spot; I'm simply saying that it seems like all this emphasis on "holistic review" and finding students who really care about their communities is essentially lip service. I'm not here to argue but when you look at admissions rates for Black and Brown people, they're abysmal (not just for me). In fact, when I last checked, admission rates for African American men has not improved in over half a century (they were actually better in the 1970s than they are now). In light of the previous fact, when you hear people discuss diversity incessantly, it begins to fall on deaf ears. I'm not upset because I'm not getting in as quickly as I'd like, I'm upset at the hypocrisy. I want more people of color in medicine in general, even if I'm not able to get in.

Edit: composition of medical school classes vs. admission rates

Last edited:
  • Dislike
I don't think this is an apropos perspective. I'm not super invested in the results others are getting but rather how disingenuous the entire process tends to be. This is my second application cycyle and I've improved drastically. I carefully wrote and edited everything related to my primary and secondaries. It's not up to me to determine who gets a spot; I'm simply saying that it seems like all this emphasis on "holistic review" and finding students who really care about their communities is essentially lip service. I'm not here to argue but when you look at admissions rates for Black and Brown people, they're abysmal (not just for me). In fact, when I last checked, admission rates for African American men has not improved in over half a century (they were actually better in the 1970s than they are now). In light of the previous fact, when you hear people discuss diversity incessantly, it begins to fall on deaf ears. I'm not upset because I'm not getting in as quickly as I'd like, I'm upset at the hypocrisy. I want more people of color in medicine in general, even if I'm not be to get in.

I’m a black woman. I don’t need to be preached to about representation in medicine. Your main rant on here didn’t have anything to do with you, other than the fact that you think you should be in better standing compared to others, but about other people. You can’t see behind the curtain of their apps. There definitely needs to be improvement. We certainly need more of us in medicine but thinking that your responses are perfect/app is improved doesn’t equal you being accepted. Applying to mission fit schools in regards to your specific app is also a big part of it. I just don’t see the reason for worrying about other people in the application cycle to the point where you feel negative about medicine as a whole. If those schools didn’t see value in you then research and try to find the schools that will because they do exist. Focus on you and what you can control. I had several professors from the health committee at my school in undergrad tell me I wasn’t competitive enough for med school and they refused to write me a committee letter, so I got individual letters. My stats weren’t the greatest, yet here I am. Don’t focus on what’s going on around you. Focus on you. Comparison is a thief of joy.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Status
Not open for further replies.