Is It Too Early For Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ni1980

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have gotten 3 interviews so far for september. However, seems like the other schools that I have applied to have forgotten all about my application. Although, I recieved acknowledgements that my file was complete and that it would take them four weeks to review it, haven't heard anything from the rest of the schools...and I am freaking out!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

are these schools in the same cities as the ones you got interviews for? if so, get on the horn and tell them you'll be in the area and ask for an interview to save on travel expenses/lost time. i've gotten one, possibly two interviews like that so far.

tons of ppl r getting them. just seems like not the ones i'm applying 4

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard from:
U of Michigan
NYU
U of Rochester
Baylor
Northwestern
WashU
Cornell
Michigan State
MCW

some people (like me) don't even have an interview. remember to keep things in perspective, the Aug scores are not even out yet. You're doing well in the app cycle considering that.

you know what they say... save the best for last... right? :(

Originally posted by Ni1980
Has anyone heard from:
U of Michigan
NYU
U of Rochester
Baylor
Northwestern
WashU
Cornell
Michigan State
MCW

Michigan, Cornell, and Baylor have started interviewing for sure. Check the interview thread for more info...

-RA

I have gotten 3 interviews so far for september. However, seems like the other schools that I have applied to have forgotten all about my application. Although, I recieved acknowledgements that my file was complete and that it would take them four weeks to review it, haven't heard anything from the rest of the schools...and I am freaking out!!!!

It's too early for some schools. Stanford just started sending out interview requests this week. Duke hasn't started yet, Harvard, Yale, and UCLA (and all UCs but UCSD, I think) haven't started yet, and several others haven't either. The interview thread will show you the light. :)

-RA

Originally posted by Random Access
It's too early for some schools. Stanford just started sending out interview requests this week. Duke hasn't started yet, Harvard, Yale, and UCLA (and all UCs but UCSD, I think) haven't started yet, and several others haven't either. The interview thread will show you the light. :)

-RA

RA,

Was it you who said something on another thread @ Stanford interviewing this week? Was it an sdn poster or someone you know outside of our microcosm?

Originally posted by Nefertari
RA,

Was it you who said something on another thread @ Stanford interviewing this week? Was it an sdn poster or someone you know outside of our microcosm?

Yeah, Stanford is interviewing. Someone I know who has posted on SDN on occasion, but not frequently by any means.

-RA

Read your own post! It is obviously not too early for interviews! But it is far too early to be freaking out!! And unseemly for someone who already has three interviews. :rolleyes: Plus, why have you not taken advantage of the information readily available on this board about schools requesting interviews before freaking out? :confused:

no offense at all but it's really posts like these that make me feel even more . . . . grrrr....some of us don't even have our files complete!! :(

What a smack down by SMW (one of the nicest persons on the board).

But I did tell you SMW that this was coming. :p :)

Originally posted by cabruen
...January and February will roll around here, and SDN will be flooded with posts like....

Advice Please: Hopkins or Harvard????

Should I go MD at UPenn or Md/PhD at WashU???

How do you choose between 7 acceptances???

Poll: Number of Acceptances

Should I interview at Yale -- already accepted at 3 other IVYs?

But I appreciate everything you are trying to do to keep things civil around here.

Originally posted by SMW
cabruen, you are wrong about what the posts will be like in January (unless there's a big drop in sensitivity and tactfulness of SDNers from last year to this year)....for the most part they will be understated, considerate and helpful, and will follow the progress that everyone else is making and really cheer when people get their first and/or only acceptance.

Let's all stay calm, and support each other.

Tweetie - I don't have any fancy gremlins, but these are for you...:love: :) :D :love: :clap: ;) :) :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, sorry, guess I'm a little cranky. Recuperating from bilateral bunion surgery :eek: plus trying to figure out my reapplication dilemma. And finding my SDN addiction isn't doing it for me any more. :( I may have to take a break.

SWM, don't go anywhere. It wouldn't be the same without you.

By the way, I worked for a year on Kodiak Island (the flies, my god the flies) and spent a six months on the north slope. I absolutley loved it. I envy you.

Originally posted by cabruen
SWM, don't go anywhere. It wouldn't be the same without you.

By the way, I worked for a year on Kodiak Island (the flies, my god the flies) and spent a six months on the north slope. I absolutley loved it. I envy you.

OK, but you have to get my name right! :)

You're right, Alaska is a pretty special place. But Kodiak or the North Slope are not my top tourist recommendations! ;)

I saw some youngsters in their Sunday best when I was leaving gross today. Guess Temple is interviewing!

ussdfiant: i was there tuesday....all of the med students kept staring at us!! i wonder if you were one of them....

just wanted to say: be nice! you were there once!;)

Hey chopsuey,

Congrats on your early interview! I didn't mean to come off as a dick! Believe me I remember when I was there (7 months ago).

Originally posted by SMW
Yeah, sorry, guess I'm a little cranky. Recuperating from bilateral bunion surgery :eek: plus trying to figure out my reapplication dilemma.

SMW, forgive me for being nosy, but you are not talking about med school, are you? I had the impression that you are currently attending Columbia.

I have been accepted to Columbia, but have deferred for a year. I was waitlisted at my state school, UWSOM (it's my state school 'cuz Alaska doesn't have a medschool and they reserve a whole 10 slots -- Woohoo!! -- for Alaskans), where I would prefer to go for financial reasons. I didn't get in off the waitlist, and am considering whether it's possible to reapply. See this thread for opinions I've received thus far.

Originally posted by SMW
I have been accepted to Columbia, but have deferred for a year. I was waitlisted at my state school, UWSOM (it's my state school 'cuz Alaska doesn't have a medschool and they reserve a whole 10 slots -- Woohoo!! -- for Alaskans), where I would prefer to go for financial reasons. I didn't get in off the waitlist, and am considering whether it's possible to reapply. See this thread for opinions I've received thus far.

SMW,

I remember seeing that other thread. First of all, congrats on your Columbia acceptance! Though UWash is tops, Columbia is not far behind. After finishing med school there, you definitely would be in a good position to take care of your debts. Are you able to request more financial aid there?

Also, to put things in perspective, many of us are made so desperate by the process that if not accepted at state schools, we would even go to private schools (i.e. USC-Keck) with higher tuition & lower quality of education than Columbia. I have a friend who had to do that. Wish you the best with your tough decision. ;) :)

I know I really have no right to complain. I will happily go to Columbia if UWSOM is really not an option. But if it is, I'd prefer to be less in debt when I start practicing.
I will not be receiving any financial aid, so will be financing all my med school costs with loans. Thanks for all the kind words and concern, everyone. :)