Is it too late for me to get a retail position for July/Aug 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meoxmix

Reaction score
Hello! I will be graduating this year. I have applied to Walgreens, Shoprite, RiteAid, and CVS online. I was unable to attend the on-campus interviews as I was focusing on MidYear. I have not received any call backs or emails. Is there something else I am supposed to do? I had worked at CVS for 2 years, but had quit. I do not have direct access to a dm nor know how to.

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello! I will be graduating this year. I have applied to Walgreens, Shoprite, RiteAid, and CVS online. I was unable to attend the on-campus interviews as I was focusing on MidYear. I have not received any call backs or emails. Is there something else I am supposed to do? I had worked at CVS for 2 years, but had quit. I do not have direct access to a dm nor know how to.

Thank you for your help!
Never should've quit cvs. cvs is usually the stepping stone to your miserable career lol. Second thing you've never done: attend midyear lol.

What city or state are you in? you may need to move to a different city if your city or state is saturated. Texas had a good job market until 2016. Good luck.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
You skipped interview day to focus on midyear? SMH. My only job offer (CVS) came from interview day.

Call your old PIC they can get you the DMs contact info. But it's probably too late by now, might have to wait until next winter for an opening.

Members don't see this ad :)
During one of my hospital rotations at Baylor hospital in Dallas, I was walking with the director of pharmacy to a meeting and I asked him what he thinks of the job market. His response was, "They need to stop opening these damn meaningless schools. It's killing our profession". This was 4 years ago... I know this does not help answer your question but just felt like putting it out there lol

Reactions: 3 users
Never should've quit cvs. cvs is usually the stepping stone to your miserable career lol. Second thing you've never done: attend midyear lol.

What city or state are you in? you may need to move to a different city if your city or state is saturated. Texas had a good job market until 2016. Good luck.

This made me lol - “cvs is the first step to your miserable career”. That’s classic!

Ummm... yea... to the op - There is only one thing that is important during pharmacy school and that is finding gainful employment as an intern. I guess what we actually learn in pharmacy school is a close second.

To this day I have no idea what midyear even is. I have heard people say it but I have never taken the time to actually learn what it is. I was too busy working when I was in pharmacy school.

If this tells you anything - I am actually in a position where I hire pharmacists. I have hired 4 pharmacists in the past year or two... while I was in pharmacy school I was a member of 0 “clubs”, 0 fraternities, and I never attended a single event called mid year or anything like it. All I did was study, pass tests, and work. 70% if my emphasis/focus was networking through my employer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
This made me lol - “cvs is the first step to your miserable career”. That’s classic!

Ummm... yea... to the op - There is only one thing that is important during pharmacy school and that is finding gainful employment as an intern. I guess what we actually learn in pharmacy school is a close second.

To this day I have no idea what midyear even is. I have heard people say it but I have never taken the time to actually learn what it is. I was too busy working when I was in pharmacy school.

If this tells you anything - I am actually in a position where I hire pharmacists. I have hired 4 pharmacists in the past year or two... while I was in pharmacy school I was a member of 0 “clubs”, 0 fraternities, and I never attended a single event called mid year or anything like it. All I did was study, pass tests, and work. 70% if my emphasis/focus was networking through my employer.

Midyear is a vacation disguised as a convention where people pay a lot of money for a few CE credits. Starry eyed students who want to do residencies or fellowships hope to land one but only a small fraction actually do. Big wigs sit behind tables and talk to the students as if they have tons of positions available. The students spend weeks making a dumb poster that no one cares about. When you're done with the convention part, you get to hang out at Disney or Vegas though so that part's fun.

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
will be graduating this year. I have applied to Walgreens, Shoprite, RiteAid, and CVS online. I was unable to attend the on-campus interviews as I was focusing on MidYear.
Why were you focusing on Midyear if you are seeking to work for a retail chain? That was just a bad choice. Were you hoping for a residency or a fellowship? For fellowships, the ship has sailed, for residencies, you still have a chance...

Starry eyed students who want to do residencies or fellowships hope to land one but only a small fraction actually do.
However, if you do want a fellowship, the only way to get one is to attend the Midyear. :) I am amazed how the fellowships have expanded too... when I was applying, there were fewer than 100 positions recruiting that year, and now there are some 300+...

@meoxmix

You mention Shop Rite, which makes me think you live in or are planning on living in the North East? Could you elaborate on where you ideally want to work geographically and how willing you are to relocate for a position?

Online applications in today's job market is the wrong strategy. It's never too late to throw your hat in the ring.

From a hiring perspective, all I care about is finding the most talented pharmacists with the right character and commitment.

I personally will hire someone with high potential and the right attitude over someone more experienced with the wrong character or mindset.

Employment during school helps because less training is required to onboard you as a new grad.

But plenty of employed interns get turned down because they don't demonstrate the proficiency/attitude required to succeed in the position. In a perfect world, we'd hire everyone and train them. But times have changed.

Here's what I would do in your shoes:

1) Spend 80% of my time practicing interview skills (physically speaking out loud) ~4 hours a week
2) Call pharmacies with your elevator pitch and why you'd be the best candidate. Then ask for District manager's email or phone number
3) Learn everything you can about the company, i.e. read annual reports, network with pharmacists/techs, visit their locations, call their customer service centers.

If done right, you WILL get an interview and brownie points for persistence/commitment

Just don't waste anyone's time by not being prepared to crush that interview.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-N975U using SDN mobile

• Love
Online applications in today's job market is the wrong strategy. It's never too late to throw your hat in the ring.

From a hiring perspective, all I care about is finding the most talented pharmacists with the right character and commitment.

I personally will hire someone with high potential and the right attitude over someone more experienced with the wrong character or mindset.

Employment during school helps because less training is required to onboard you as a new grad.

But plenty of employed interns get turned down because they don't demonstrate the proficiency/attitude required to succeed in the position. In a perfect world, we'd hire everyone and train them. But times have changed.

1) Spend 80% of my time practicing interview skills (physically speaking out loud) ~4 hours a week
2) Call pharmacies with your elevator pitch and why you'd be the best candidate. Then ask for District manager's email or phone number
3) Learn everything you can about the company, i.e. read annual reports, network with pharmacists/techs, visit their locations, call their customer service centers.

If done right, you WILL get an interview and brownie points for persistence/commitment

Good luck

Great advice. However in today’s market persistency doesn’t mean anything if there isn’t a position available. This is the same thought that pharmacy students have. That I can “stand out.” This person loss their chance to stand out when they quit as an intern to try to pursue a residency.

Also pharmacies/pharmacists you call will not give a damn about your pitch because they are behind and you are just taking much of their precious time.

Anyways best of luck

However, if you do want a fellowship, the only way to get one is to attend the Midyear. :) I am amazed how the fellowships have expanded too... when I was applying, there were fewer than 100 positions recruiting that year, and now there are some 300+...

What is a fellowship?

• Okay...
  • Wow
Why were you focusing on Midyear if you are seeking to work for a retail chain? That was just a bad choice. Were you hoping for a residency or a fellowship? For fellowships, the ship has sailed, for residencies, you still have a chance...
I had tried to get a fellowship and was not able to get one. I hope to get more work experience in retail and try a contracting role further down the road.

Members don't see this ad :)
@meoxmix

You mention Shop Rite, which makes me think you live in or are planning on living in the North East? Could you elaborate on where you ideally want to work geographically and how willing you are to relocate for a position?
I am in Pennsylvania, but willing to work in Delaware or New Jersey. I am willing to relocate anywhere in those 3 states. Beggars can't be choosers.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
I had tried to get a fellowship and was not able to get one. I hope to get more work experience in retail and try a contracting role further down the road.
OK I see. Decent plan. Also look at medical education, medical communications, QA, ad and PR agencies focusing on pharma and market research firms. They probably have low starting pay, but it's a foot in the door and towards a decent career. There are plenty of those around NJ and eastern PA. Good luck!

Good luck

I can still get in contact with my previous PIC, and will try to get in contact with a DM that way.

I have an extremely strong work ethic. My parents were first generation immigrants and I am proud to have learned it from them! Hopefully, someone hiring me will see I'm a genuine person :)

Thank you for your advice! I understand I am not in the greatest situation, but I appreciate you helping me try to make the most out of it.

OK I see. Decent plan. Also look at medical education, medical communications, QA, ad and PR agencies focusing on pharma and market research firms. They probably have low starting pay, but it's a foot in the door and towards a decent career. There are plenty of those around NJ and eastern PA. Good luck!
I will try applying for some of those roles as well. I appreciate your help!

Also pharmacies/pharmacists you call will not give a damn about your pitch because they are behind and you are just taking much of their precious time.
Unsolicited pitches are basically telemarketing, and when is the last time someone loved getting that type of a call? And if they aren't pissed, they will forget all the details after a couple days, unless they themselves are hiring right now. There is a chance you will call on an indie who is thinking about hiring but hasn't posted a position yet, or a district manager happens to be visiting a chain store you've just called, but what are the odds? I would just ask for the name/contact information of the district manager and then try to convince them to give you a chance...

Reactions: 2 users
What is a fellowship?

It's a great burden.

LOTR-Fellowship-1-810x456.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
The above poster needs an "Eye of Sauron" sporting the CVS logo.....

• Haha
I can still get in contact with my previous PIC, and will try to get in contact with a DM that way.

I have an extremely strong work ethic. My parents were first generation immigrants and I am proud to have learned it from them! Hopefully, someone hiring me will see I'm a genuine person :)

Thank you for your advice! I understand I am not in the greatest situation, but I appreciate you helping me try to make the most out of it.
you sound like a really nice and hardworking person. I work at a hospital (I did retail for 5 year after I graduated) and I have seen interns for their final rotations. Last year I had an intern who was in the same boat like you are. And he found a full time job with CVS (37 hrs 55/hour in MIdwest) before he got license. And he was working as a pharmacist just after a week of getting his license. I prepared him for the interview in the last week of rotations and he nailed it. go the job offer after the interview right away. He missed campus interviews too. The only advise I would like to give you now is start preparing for NAPLEX and MPJE of those three states. You are willing to relocate too. So do not worry much. Stay focused on your board exams. if you get your license early, that will open up the door for you. And remember one thing, you need only one person to say YES. As everyone has mentioned here, market is supersaturated. But it's not impossible. Take the example of your parents who came here and started from ZERO. Stay motivated. And keep up the hard work. Your parents will be really proud of you!!!!

• Love
I am in Pennsylvania, but willing to work in Delaware or New Jersey. I am willing to relocate anywhere in those 3 states. Beggars can't be choosers.
I don't think you understand what "beggars can't be choosers" means or are very desperate at all. That is like saying "I am from Los Angeles, but I am willing to work in San Francisco or San Diego." If you were truly a beggar you would broaden your search to the rest of the country...

you sound like me :)

Some might say it's too early to get a retail job in August. The real world doesn't follow the rigid structure of academia and ASHP. Just apply to a job opening, maybe get an interview, maybe get a job, repeat as needed.

Some might say it's too early to get a retail job in August. The real world doesn't follow the rigid structure of academia and ASHP. Just apply to a job opening, maybe get an interview, maybe get a job, repeat as needed.
This is why I say schools are trolling students. Its a fraud to keep on pushing for clinical BS when you can't even find a job. Midyear probably makes millions when only about 5-10% who attend will benefit. I went to the one at New Orleans and did like 20 interviews and visited a bunch of booths. It almost felt like going to an auto show or something. You know you won't buy any of the cars but you're just looking and hot models pretending to talk to you but dont give a fauq lol. I've been fooled by school to attend it one time and I felt like only thing I got out of was hanging out with friends and meeting students from other schools. Got to witness some professors get drunk lol Also met some wild girls from other schools... ahh what a fun night that was... lol Midyear was fun for sure. lolol.

No wonder I like your posts a lot, we’re pretty much cut from the same cloth lol

• Haha

The chains recruit for June-August in fall the previous year. They don't even have enough spots for all of their interns. A few might decline their offer after accepting (and get blacklisted) so there's a small chance to get hired by August. After that, the best chance is usually around winter when the new grads are all settled in and someone quits.

I've actually referred potential applicants to apply online since it will already get forwarded internally by HR to the District Manager.

Nowadays companies have a process where they have a questionnaire to pass/fail before it gets to the right person. Number 1) and 3) are perfect advice though!

This is why I say schools are trolling students. Its a fraud to keep on pushing for clinical BS when you can't even find a job. Midyear probably makes millions when only about 5-10% who attend will benefit. I went to the one at New Orleans and did like 20 interviews and visited a bunch of booths. It almost felt like going to an auto show or something. You know you won't buy any of the cars but you're just looking and hot models pretending to talk to you but dont give a fauq lol. I've been fooled by school to attend it one time and I felt like only thing I got out of was hanging out with friends and meeting students from other schools. Got to witness some professors get drunk lol Also met some wild girls from other schools... ahh what a fun night that was... lol Midyear was fun for sure. lolol.

So there was plenty of partying? LOL, I can only imagine how 2019's Midyear was, considering that it was held in Vegas

I don't think you understand what "beggars can't be choosers" means or are very desperate at all. That is like saying "I am from Los Angeles, but I am willing to work in San Francisco or San Diego." If you were truly a beggar you would broaden your search to the rest of the country...
Meh a beggar who needs to take care of family. Maybe I can bring them with me to another state but most likely not.

• Dislike
you sound like a really nice and hardworking person. I work at a hospital (I did retail for 5 year after I graduated) and I have seen interns for their final rotations. Last year I had an intern who was in the same boat like you are. And he found a full time job with CVS (37 hrs 55/hour in MIdwest) before he got license. And he was working as a pharmacist just after a week of getting his license. I prepared him for the interview in the last week of rotations and he nailed it. go the job offer after the interview right away. He missed campus interviews too. The only advise I would like to give you now is start preparing for NAPLEX and MPJE of those three states. You are willing to relocate too. So do not worry much. Stay focused on your board exams. if you get your license early, that will open up the door for you. And remember one thing, you need only one person to say YES. As everyone has mentioned here, market is supersaturated. But it's not impossible. Take the example of your parents who came here and started from ZERO. Stay motivated. And keep up the hard work. Your parents will be really proud of you!!!!
Thank you for your help and kind words! I certainly will keep working hard!

So there was plenty of partying? LOL, I can only imagine how 2019's Midyear was, considering that it was held in Vegas
Plenty of partying. School even rented out a restaurant/bar for us lol

lol so that's why tuition is 50k per year??

Yup ASHP or whatever organization even rented out Universal Studios after hours for the convention. Pharmacists and students had the park all to themselves. They made that much money off of the fees that they could splurge on that.

The line for the Harry Potter ride was still a good 75-90 minute wait, same as during peak park hours when it's open to the general public. Shows you how saturated our profession is... No kids or teens just adult pharmacists and students. Midyear only represents a fraction of how many pharmacy students and professionals out there.

Yup ASHP or whatever organization even rented out Universal Studios after hours for the convention. Pharmacists and students had the park all to themselves. They made that much money off of the fees that they could splurge on that.

The line for the Harry Potter ride was still a good 75-90 minute wait, same as during peak park hours when it's open to the general public. Shows you how saturated our profession is... No kids or teens just adult pharmacists and students. Midyear only represents a fraction of how many pharmacy students and professionals out there.
In the last two months, I had 3 pharmacists walk in and handed me their resumes. Two were former walmart pharmacists. This is getting sad...

Great advice. However in today’s market persistency doesn’t mean anything if there isn’t a position available. This is the same thought that pharmacy students have. That I can “stand out.” This person loss their chance to stand out when they quit as an intern to try to pursue a residency.

Anyways best of luck

I'm all for realism, but cynicism helps no one. Also, my advice isn't for everyone. It's only for the people who want to stand out and level up.

From a leadership standpoint, there will always be room for pharmacists that want to be A Players and raise the bar. Doesn't matter which company.

It's more costly to keep jaded, cynical people than to hire someone who wants to challenge themselves and the status quo.

There's virtually no risk in hiring someone as a "per diem" if they want to showcase their talent and outperform others.

Anyone can stand out in any market, period.

Unsolicited pitches are basically telemarketing, and when is the last time someone loved getting that type of a call? And if they aren't pissed, they will forget all the details after a couple days, unless they themselves are hiring right now. There is a chance you will call on an indie who is thinking about hiring but hasn't posted a position yet, or a district manager happens to be visiting a chain store you've just called, but what are the odds? I would just ask for the name/contact information of the district manager and then try to convince them to give you a chance...
I get these calls all the time asking for DM contact. Why would I bother bugging a DM if I can't vouch for this person?

I enjoy meeting motivated, hard working people. Not those just looking for a job.

If the district isn't hiring, and you have zero influence on the person on the phone, what good does asking for DM contact do? They are the gatekeeper you have to get past.

A good pitch shows empathy and understanding of phone etiquette AND the potential working conditions on the other side.

A 30 second intro/rapport builder goes a long way for me.

I've actually referred potential applicants to apply online since it will already get forwarded internally by HR to the District Manager.

Nowadays companies have a process where they have a questionnaire to pass/fail before it gets to the right person. Number 1) and 3) are perfect advice though!

Yup, this is the strategy to filter out the wrong candidates. I advise the shortcut method to get to the top of the line. I hate the thought of being a piece of paper in the middle of a huge stack of applicants.

Some leaders care about certain qualities that don't measure up in online applications or tests.

There's nothing wrong with going the traditional route, but the extra steps ensure you stand out.

Coming from retail, I was personally able to skip online applications to get an industry job offer using the method I posted. They asked me to apply formally afterwards. There's some risk of not passing, but that's just like fumbling the ball right before the end zone.

Non-traditional, but sometimes that's what's needed to get what you want.

I'm all for realism, but cynicism helps no one. Also, my advice isn't for everyone. It's only for the people who want to stand out and level up.

From a leadership standpoint, there will always be room for pharmacists that want to be A Players and raise the bar. Doesn't matter which company.

It's more costly to keep jaded, cynical people than to hire someone who wants to challenge themselves and the status quo.

There's virtually no risk in hiring someone as a "per diem" if they want to showcase their talent and outperform others.

Anyone can stand out in any market, period.

It's not cynicism it's math. When there is 1 open position and 300 people apply, how does one "level up" and stand out? Everyone's resume looks the same.

It's not cynicism it's math. When there is 1 open position and 300 people apply, how does one "level up" and stand out? Everyone's resume looks the same.
Not to mention that most pharmacists who do have experience that are looking for jobs all have retail experience which amounts to nothing, so how are they going to stand out?

5 years of retail experience = 2 years of retail experience and quite frankly 6 months of hospital experience will trump all of that. Retail pharmacy must be literally the only career where you become LESS valuable the longer you work. Think about how sad that is for just a sec...

Not to mention that most pharmacists who do have experience that are looking for jobs all have retail experience which amounts to nothing, so how are they going to stand out?

5 years of retail experience = 2 years of retail experience and quite frankly 6 months of hospital experience will trump all of that. Retail pharmacy must be literally the only career where you become LESS valuable the longer you work. Think about how sad that is for just a sec...
this is true- but sad. I generally recommend trying to get a per diem job at home infusion, or LTAC or soemthing like that - their seems to be these positions relatively frequently. We hire a lot of of part time, every other weekend-type of positions in operations at our hospital. You are not going to support yourself with them, but maybe after a year or two, you can get a full time position somewhere. And yes - when it comes to hiring at a hospital - 5 years retail probably puts you behind a new PGY1 grad - not saying I agree with it, but it is the truth

That's the problem. Your resume doesn't have to say

- counsel patients, transfer rxs, gave immunizations

Why not build transferable experiences like

-business analysis, verbal de escalation, legal and regulatory compliance activities, team building and leadership skills, root cause analysis, strategic planning, HR activities, specific/ measurable accomplishments, etc.

It's like any other profession. Jobs open up, positions are made, or they find room for you in a different market. But the fact is, companies are always looking for exceptional people

-business analysis, verbal de escalation, legal and regulatory compliance activities, team building and leadership skills, root cause analysis, strategic planning, HR activities, specific/ measurable accomplishments, etc.

It's like any other profession. Jobs open up, positions are made, or they find room for you in a different market. But the fact is, companies are always looking for exceptional people

Your resume can have all those fancy buzz words but when there are 300 applications, chances are it won't even be read by HR. They'll stop reading after the first 20-30.

No matter what makeup you put on a piece of poop it is still a piece of poop - call it out for what it is, dude. If I were reviewing a resume from a retail pharmacist who tried to butter up their resume like that I'd toss it out immediately. Then again, I'd toss out the resumes of any retail pharmacist since I already know you gain no appreciable skillsets from that kind of job.

No matter what makeup you put on a piece of poop it is still a piece of poop - call it out for what it is, dude. If I were reviewing a resume from a retail pharmacist who tried to butter up their resume like that I'd toss it out immediately. Then again, I'd toss out the resumes of any retail pharmacist since I already know you gain no appreciable skillsets from that kind of job.

This is entirely untrue. A good PIC of a successful pharmacy has shown themselves to be incredible business managers, managers of people, and resilient beyond belief. This is a great skill set to have and something to be proud of.

Now - I may agree that the weasel fill in rph who does everything to avoid accountability may be worthless.. but that is about as far as I would go

One of the greatest challenges I have ever taken on in my life was to build a successful retail pharmacy.

Your resume can have all those fancy buzz words but when there are 300 applications, chances are it won't even be read by HR. They'll stop reading after the first 20-30.
Yes, if you're nothing but dust under your white coat with no real-world skills, then a resume won't help.

That's why I argue to put in the work, skip the screening systems, and sell yourself in person.

But if you have nothing of value, I see what you might mean.

I don't really understand why there is so much emphasis on the resume.

I'm talking about the actual skills needed to excel in the job.

But since you have such a disparaging view of our profession and peers, I'll take what you say with a grain of salt.

Yes, if you're nothing but dust under your white coat with no real-world skills, then a resume won't help.

That's why I argue to put in the work, skip the screening systems, and sell yourself in person.

But if you have nothing of value, I see what you might mean.

If you don't have any connections within the chain, how do you sell yourself in person to the DM? Do you show up at the corporate office unannounced and say you're visiting? Call every store in the district and ask if he's visiting? I imagine that would make him avoid you altogether.