How to sell yourself to a hospital pharmacy position having only retail pharmacy experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyDogAteMySuboxone

Reaction score
I have about 4 years of retail pharmacy experience in a large chain pharmacy. Looking for a job change. I know it's a long shot getting a hospital position without a residency due to the pharmacist job market right now, but figured it's worth a try. I am considering other jobs (mail order, different retail chain) as well.

Obviously I cannot compare with a residency trained pharmacist in terms of knowledge. So of course I would need to emphasize other strengths. What points should I emphasize? Ability to learn quickly, ability to handle stressful situations with customers, ability to handle issues with techs/workplace issues that pop up? Unfortunately I am not PIC/manager, but I do have some leadership experience due to being temp PIC during manager changes. Most hospital pharmacies don't have customers, per se, but they do have patients and stressful interactions between staff/nurses/doctors/etc.

Any advice on what to emphasize (assuming I am lucky enough to get a shot at an interview)?

Also, is there anything I can do to make myself look more attractive for a hospital position? (besides the obvious residency) In terms of knowledge base, what sorts of things should I review?

Any answers greatly appreciated!! :cool::cool::cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Best way to do it is to get to know someone. I wish I had more to say but really - it’s all about who you know.

Reactions: 1 users
I have about 4 years of retail pharmacy experience in a large chain pharmacy. Looking for a job change. I know it's a long shot getting a hospital position without a residency due to the pharmacist job market right now, but figured it's worth a try. I am considering other jobs (mail order, different retail chain) as well.

Obviously I cannot compare with a residency trained pharmacist in terms of knowledge. So of course I would need to emphasize other strengths. What points should I emphasize? Ability to learn quickly, ability to handle stressful situations with customers, ability to handle issues with techs/workplace issues that pop up? Unfortunately I am not PIC/manager, but I do have some leadership experience due to being temp PIC during manager changes. Most hospital pharmacies don't have customers, per se, but they do have patients and stressful interactions between staff/nurses/doctors/etc.

Any advice on what to emphasize (assuming I am lucky enough to get a shot at an interview)?

Also, is there anything I can do to make myself look more attractive for a hospital position? (besides the obvious residency) In terms of knowledge base, what sorts of things should I review?

Any answers greatly appreciated!! :cool::cool::cool:
I have been working infusion, oncology and hospital pharmacy for 36 years. This is the little bit I know:
The profession has definitely changed, the good old days, there was a good chance that you could get a hospital job with no experience. But you already knew that.
Yes, who you know is good. Not that much anymore, since HR controls who gets an interview and which resume even makes it to hiring manager.
This is a biggie: attend some classes, courses and CEs specific to hospital pharmacy:
Sterile Compounding courses. USP 795-797-800 certifications. Chemotherapy cmpd course. Pharmacokinetic CEs. JCAHO courses and certifications
There are many more, ASHP mid-year, if it ever comes back is a fantastic resource

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll have to start PRN and give up your weekends and holidays until a full time spot opens up. Which could take years.

Reactions: 1 user
I have been working infusion, oncology and hospital pharmacy for 36 years. This is the little bit I know:
The profession has definitely changed, the good old days, there was a good chance that you could get a hospital job with no experience. But you already knew that.
Yes, who you know is good. Not that much anymore, since HR controls who gets an interview and which resume even makes it to hiring manager.
This is a biggie: attend some classes, courses and CEs specific to hospital pharmacy:
Sterile Compounding courses. USP 795-797-800 certifications. Chemotherapy cmpd course. Pharmacokinetic CEs. JCAHO courses and certifications
There are many more, ASHP mid-year, if it ever comes back is a fantastic resource
Thanks for all the advice!
forgot an important tactic: Hit every Hospital up for PRN, or part-time work for the undesirable shifts
True!
You'll have to start PRN and give up your weekends and holidays until a full time spot opens up. Which could take years.
Makes sense.
Working in a basement sucks.
That's like, your opinion, man.

Working in a basement sucks.
True that!
Worked in many a basements, or sub-basements. One pharmacy was in the sub-basement, right past the morgue!
But then the alternative is having a great view of the adult diapers isle, the condom display case and the huge line of unhappy customers filing in. Not to mention the double drive thru, the envy of Taco Bell. With drive thru customers asking for jumbo diaper case for their 7 year old.

Choices, choices, choices!

Reactions: 4 users
Nothing comes easy!
Even as veteran/fulltime, I have given up many, many weekends, holidays and family time. And will do it all over again so I wouldn't have to work 1 day in retail.

Nothing comes easy!
Even as veteran/fulltime, I have given up many, many weekends, holidays and family time. And will do it all over again so I wouldn't have to work 1 day in retail.

I gave up all my weekends and holidays for 2 years while working PRN hospital and full time retail. It sucked. A full time hospital spot never opened up but I finally found a job at a LTC.

Your best bet will be with very rural pharmacies, although with them you will be thrown directly into the fire (so have pharmacist friends you can call.) Once you get hospital experience, it will be (at least slightly) easier to get a better hospital job. You will also need superb interview skills, to sell a hospital on hiring you--a rural hospital doesn't want to hire someone who is just going to leave for a bigger city in a year or two.