Is it too late to apply now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3yoonmasrya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so.. I been thinking optometry for a LONG time now.. but for some reason when i graduated, I started freaking out.. My GPA isnt good ..but I really think I can do optometry.. ( I really want it..and been wanting it).. I haven't taken my OAT's yet! and im wondering if its too late to apply for taking them, and (studying obviously), and applying for the schools? I know schools prefer early applications.. but when is it not "early" anymore? and if its not too late! when do you recommend I take the OAT's by? I really want optometry im just worried that I wont get in because of my grades! any suggestions?:confused:

Note: im trying to get in for 2009

Members don't see this ad.

If it's been a while since you've graduated and/or taken the prereq courses, you might need longer to study for the OAT. opted.org has a spreadsheet of all the schools and when they stopped accepting OAT scores for last year's cycle to give you an idea of when the absolute latest you can take the exam. Keep in mind the schools want to receive your scores by this date and it takes about 2 weeks for the testing centers to send your scores out.

If you feel the rest of your application is competitive, you can apply now. Some of the schools will keep your application on hold until they receive your OAT scores, while some will consider your application with a pending score. You can call the individual schools you're interested in to find that information out.

Since you mentioned a lower GPA (how low is low?), you might want to consider waiting until the next cycle (giving you more time to study for the OAT) and taking additional science classes to build your GPA (post bac type thing). Shadowing or working in the field is also extremely beneficial for your application and to solidify your decision on optometry. Just my opinion, though.

low is like 2.9... is that really bad? and I feel like if I explained a reason for why its low , I would feel like im making up excuses... :( anyways im starting to look at post bac programs.. does it matter what school I do it at? I just hope I can get into one starting this spring semester! I need 2 start studying for OAT's, and I like the Idea of taking it in the summer..but this means I have to wait 2 years..until optometry school..I feel like its forever!

Is the 2.9 your science GPA or cumulative? Regardless, taking post bac classes would be a good idea (and obviously acing them). If you got anything lower than a B- in any of the pre-req classes, you should consider retaking them if possible (most schools have a minimum acceptable grade, but you should always strive to be well above that). A lower GPA is NOT a complete deal breaker if the rest of your application can make up for it. Many schools offer a section of the application to explain academic inconsistencies, or you can address it in your personal statement. I know what you mean about sounding like you're making up excuses, but it's all about how you phrase things.

As for the school to do a post bac, I don't think it really matters as long as it's a decent school. You could call the schools you're interested in to see if they recommend any particular schools.

Waiting 2 years may seem like forever, but you could use that time to make your application amazing. Shadow optometrists, maybe work in an office, get volunteer experience, get involved in community projects, study HARD and get a solid OAT score, and work on getting strong LORs.

(I know since I'm still in the application process, there might be a "what does she know" reaction to all this, but my cousin/best friend just went through this and I learned a lot from her experiences.)