is it too late to apply???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

finallydecided

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ohmygosh. i'm doing my peds sub-I and have gotten 7 interviews in peds for this year. i dont' think i want to do peds anymore. it's just too much scutwork...and i had thought i wanted to do neonatology really bad...but i dont' really want to take 6 years worth of call...lots of paper work, and all the other stuff that goes with it. i'm SERIOUSLY considering switching to path. But I dont' think that I am a competitive applicant because I have never done any research in pathology, i cant' think of one person who could write me a letter of recommendation in pathology because i never did an elective in path.

what should i do??? i loved path during my second year...but i never considered it as a career choice. do i need to take a year off and do some research? can i still match in a good program? i have above average step Is and good grades.

please help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

It's not too late to apply but you should get some references that at least indicate an interest in path. You can always apply in both fields and just rank all the path programs ahead of all the peds programs. If you're an american med school grad you will have a decent chance at many programs just because of that fact.