Why is it so hard to find transfusion medicine hires?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PathOmaniac

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our institution has been looking for over a year now with no prospective candidates. Is there a lack of people going into the field?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What are the details of the job? Academic, community? Pure TM or just coverage/oversight? Many are non-pathologists or CP only. Some go to industry or Red Cross. Finding one willing and able to do AP is a rare thing.

How is the job posted? Paper flier thumbtacked to bathroom wall at Guantanamo Bay detention camp?
No pathology job with any subspecialty request in any geographic location should be without 50+ applicants day 1.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
There are definitely people going into and currently doing TM/BB. Is the posting competitive? We need some details to give an opinion on it.

Reactions: 1 user
TMBB is academic fluff. They don’t get paid much because they don’t do much. As long as you get the clinical staff what they need and don’t try to intervene you’ll be ok. Surgeons don’t take lightly to being denied blood products when their patient is crashing. Tread the patient blood management path at your peril. Build up the confidence of your technical staff and they’ll do everything for you and without you.

TMBB is academic fluff. They don’t get paid much because they don’t do much. As long as you get the clinical staff what they need and don’t try to intervene you’ll be ok. Surgeons don’t take lightly to being denied blood products when their patient is crashing. Tread the patient blood management path at your peril. Build up the confidence of your technical staff and they’ll do everything for you and without you.
IMG_1965.gif

Reactions: 1 users
Based on my observations at different institutions - "They don’t get paid much because they don’t do much" is a half truth.

They don’t get paid much but they do a lot.

BTW, A Half-Truth Is The Most Cowardly Of Lies - Mark Twain

Reactions: 1 user
I saw a FDA ad for TM this week and it mentions starting salary of 165K. I mean that's pretty insulting, considering job ads for PA mentions a salary of 110K. How can they attract TM fellows when you can just do a generic surg onc fellowship and make twice that.

I mean I am AP trained and I don't want to even touch HP because that's such as complex new world these days, let along all the other stuff in CP. Kudos to the CP experts lol.

I saw a FDA ad for TM this week and it mentions starting salary of 165K. I mean that's pretty insulting, considering job ads for PA mentions a salary of 110K. How can they attract TM fellows when you can just do a generic surg onc fellowship and make twice that.

I mean I am AP trained and I don't want to even touch HP because that's such as complex new world these days, let along all the other stuff in CP. Kudos to the CP experts lol.
It’s a federal administrative job with probably a lot of benefits. It might not be that insulting for someone who wants out of patient care.

It’s a federal administrative job with probably a lot of benefits. It might not be that insulting for someone who wants out of patient care.
Dunno what kind of benefits I would need to compensate miserable quality of life one would have with such an absurdly low monetary compensation in one of the highest COL areas (DC)...

Dunno what kind of benefits I would need to compensate miserable quality of life one would have with such an absurdly low monetary compensation in one of the highest COL areas (DC)...

Probably a typical government job of doing of nothing all day, rubber stamping random crap, taking 2 hour lunches, not getting called or taking call, impossible to get fired from, not dealing with patients or clinicians, having a 1% top government salary, then retiring with a fat pension beats making this amount in academics running an apheresis service and fighting over platelets all night. I agree the pay is crap, but this not an actual medical job.

Probably a typical government job of doing of nothing all day, rubber stamping random crap, taking 2 hour lunches, not getting called or taking call, impossible to get fired from, not dealing with patients or clinicians, having a 1% top government salary, then retiring with a fat pension beats making this amount in academics running an apheresis service and fighting over platelets all night. I agree the pay is crap, but this not an actual medical job.
Your only have to live about 60 miles outside the belt way. Cabin John bridge anyone?

Anyway, BBTM is not a good subspecialty for pathology trainees to consider.