Is it too late to prepare for the January exam date?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrivera

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I hope you're all doing well with your studying!

If you have time, I hope you can give me advice on my current situation.

Here is some info:

Current GPA: 3.97. I realize my GPA is nice and all, but lets face it... if i do bad on the MCAT, then my GPA will be completly meaningles... I'll be honest, i find the MCAT extremly hard, and I feel overwhelmed. A 25 MCAT, and a 3.97 won't get me anywhere, and thats a fact.

Anyways, I havent taken it... but Ive had a few experiences(2 Kaplan exams - FL1,FL2).. and this is what I got on both:

FL1 = BS7, VR4, PS 9 = 20

*You know, I have no idea how I got a 9 in PS. I did a LOT of guessing...

FL2 = BS 10, VR 6, PS 7 = 23 [I took it a month after]

*the bio passages were really easy, and anyone who has taken Kaplan FL#2 will agree with me.

I took the Kaplan course last summer, and i went to all the sessions but I studied NOTHING, and by that I really mean it. Why? I was overwhelmed with other stuff(was also taking classes, volunteer,research,etc) and I felt so guilty in the end. I didnt even touch any of the books, or the online resources. I felt guilty for throwing 2k down the toilet, but there was a bit of hope. They offer to let you retake the course again, and so I used that. They also sent me the new textbooks(which look really nice!) and they have placed me in a class starting January. My online material will last till April.

I know this might sound crazy, but I want to really buckle down for the January 30 date. I will rely on the Kaplan course(I will do every piece of assignment, quiz, FLs(AAMC & Kaplan), read all the books, and use all the Exam krakers books, with the 1001 books, and Audio Osmosis, and 1 Full Economist magainze/day(i have many dating back to 2007)

Is there a possibility I could muster a balanced 30(10,10,10), or am I just dreaming?

P.S - I want to take in January because I want to get it out of the way. I want to be able to apply early.

*All my pre-reqs will be completed by the end of this semester.

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest waiting for the following reasons:

(1) There is no real advantage to taking in Jan vs. April as far as AMCAS is concerned. April is plenty early. You don't want to take the MCAT to "get it out of the way".

(2) Your scores are low, but improving. You studied for ~ month and improved 3 points. A 3 point move is a big deal for the MCAT, but I don't think you have reached your full potential. If you think you have, then take the test. I think you would be shortchanging yourself.

(3) You have access to all of your materials until April. Why not use them?

(4) You need to improve your VR, a time-intensive process. Scoring low on Kaplan's VR is a concern. Now, some people are "backwards" and do better on the AAMCs when compared to Kaplan, but this is an anomaly. Scrap your VR material ASAP and get EK.

(5) You need to reach content-review saturation before you touch the AAMCs, and I don't think you are there yet. Your GPA hints that you are a hard worker, and as such you should be able to bring your BS/PS both into the double digits via hard work alone.

Just my thoughts, but I think most would agree that scoring low 20s on Kaplan will not translate to an well-balanced 30 on the real deal.

(1) There is no real advantage to taking in Jan vs. April as far as AMCAS is concerned. April is plenty early. You don't want to take the MCAT to "get it out of the way".

(2) Your scores are low, but improving. You studied for ~ month and improved 3 points. A 3 point move is a big deal for the MCAT, but I don't think you have reached your full potential. If you think you have, then take the test. I think you would be shortchanging yourself.

(4) You need to improve your VR, a time-intensive process. Scoring low on Kaplan's VR is a concern. Now, some people are "backwards" and do better on the AAMCs when compared to Kaplan, but this is an anomaly. Scrap your VR material ASAP and get EK.

(5) You need to reach content-review saturation before you touch the AAMCs, and I don't think you are there yet. Your GPA hints that you are a hard worker, and as such you should be able to bring your BS/PS both into the double digits via hard work alone.

Just my thoughts, but I think most would agree that scoring low 20s on Kaplan will not translate to an well-balanced 30 on the real deal.

Excellent advice :thumbup:

Hi there, thank you very much for your input. I just would like to add one thing, and that is.. I didnt study during the one month gap, I just randomly took another one for the hell of it.. and it produced a 23. I did however finsh my Genetics class before I took the 2nd exam :)

Due to my circumstances, I will not have much time in the winter to study, as I will be taking 5 courses(with 3 having to be junior level classes) to satisfy my requirments for CDN Medical schools, and this is why I am trying to get it done before then...

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like your verbal needs the most work. I feel that since your GPA is nice (intelligence or hard work, I dunno, but I am willing to bet you have a solid foundation to build on) and it is easier to improve on the sciences that 2 months is enough to raise your PS and BS into the double digits.

Definitely invest in EK 101 for verbal; Kaplan's materials help too for practice but not indicative of the real thing from what I heard. Think carefully about Kaplan's verbal mapping technique and decide if it really helps you. It did not help me, especially the whole ranking passages thing. I felt like it wasted precious time because a hard passage can have straightforward questions whereas an "easy" passage can have really tricky questions. Also, stopping to map breaks up my flow and understanding of author's argument --> tanking on verbal. Keep in mind that many people say passages on the real MCAT are longer so practice with harsher timed conditions.

PS: Do yourself a favor and buy TPR Physical Sciences review book cheap or borrow from a friend. I'm sorry but Kaplan makes the simplest concepts so frickin' convoluted! Like you I am also retaking the Kaplan course from last summer, only this time I am using other materials. With TPR Physical Sciences helping me understand, my worst fear is now my best/favorite section. Electrochemistry/Electricity/Magnetism/Acid-Base (all the hard stuff), I understand these concepts so much more than last summer studying with Kaplan.

BS: Don't really have tips for this part. I suck at O Chem (but improving) and Bio passages are tearing my soul apart. Check the 30+ thread for advice.

For Kaplan FLs, do the discretes first always! Get them out of the way quickly builds up your confidence and leaves you all your time for harder passage-based questions. My first Kaplan FL PS/VR/BS (12/11/11), 2nd (14/12/13). Seriously, I love TPR PS book. Good luck!

agreed.

I will be blunt. Don't take it, you will likely perform poorly.

Prepare with all your might for April, take a less demanding school schedule and lighten up volunteer/research hours. It is worth it to try harder.

Hi there, thank you very much for your input. I just would like to add one thing, and that is.. I didnt study during the one month gap, I just randomly took another one for the hell of it.. and it produced a 23. I did however finsh my Genetics class before I took the 2nd exam :)

Due to my circumstances, I will not have much time in the winter to study, as I will be taking 5 courses(with 3 having to be junior level classes) to satisfy my requirments for CDN Medical schools, and this is why I am trying to get it done before then...

You just talked about how a low MCAT would make your GPA meaningless, then you don't want to put in the time to study for it? Lighten up the course load so you can study your *** off and get 30+

I know that there are some companies that offer a holiday MCAT course. I know that TPR does in SOME places. Not sure about EK or Kaplan.