Is it too late to start at 24?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CasualScrubs100

Reaction score
By the time I finish pre-med courses and medical school, I will be 30. Then, 3 years of residency (or more, depending on specialty). Does anyone here have experience starting this process late in the game? Am I too old already?

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I don't think you're old at all. In my anatomy dissection group of 4 (all 1st year students), we had a 27, 26 and 31 y.o.

By the time I finish pre-med courses and medical school, I will be 30. Then, 3 years of residency (or more, depending on specialty). Does anyone here have experience starting this process late in the game? Am I too old already?
Im currently 27 in my first year. I will be 30 by the time I graduate. You're going to be 30 regardless of whether you go to med school or not. Might as well be congratulated as doctor casualscrubs100 when you turn 30.

Members don't see this ad :)
Average matriculation age is 24 so no you're not too old.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Started med school at 28 and will finish at 32. My first year as an attending I will be 37-you are still so young!

Some of my all time best students have been in their 30s and 40s.

I graduated a stellar one at age 50 and she's now an attending physician in Southern California.

If you’re too old as a 24 years old, then 25+ must be ancient .

35, finishing first year. Sheesh, you'll be fine.

Reactions: 2 users
I am 34 and starting med school this fall. I think the average age of medical school matriculant nowadays is around 24/25. You will be fine.

Last edited: