Is it too late to start over?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

milktea

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently, I am in my second year of undergrad in the pre-pharmacy program. However, because my current math/science GPA is not stellar (2.44), and there is a chance that I will not be able to pull it up to the required 2.7, my parents have debated pulling me out if I do not make it after this semester and having me start everything over at city college.

I was under the impression that the grades I have gotten at my current university could not be "erased" and would follow me all the way to pharm school. As in, when I apply to pharm school, there is no way for me to just omit the time period/grades that I received at my current university, is this correct? Also, how is it that schools find out if you have taken classes at other universities if you do not report the information to them?

Another question I had was that I was wondering if it is possible for me to reapply to pre-pharmacy programs as a incoming undergrad student as if I had just graduated high school. As in, I had graduated high school in 2008, took three years off, and then decided to apply to pharm school after that. Three years being: 2 off because of the 2 years spent at my current university, and then one year off because it's too late to apply into the pre-pharmacy programs now. I will just spend my 3rd year off working as a pharm tech to get good background experience.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Please don't hurt me if my questions sound dumb >_<

Members don't see this ad.

Are you in the 0+6 program (meaning you applied straight from high school and are required to spend 2 years of undergraduate but guaranteed a spot at a pharmacy school) or are you in the 2+4 program( meaning you go will spend at least 2-3 years as an undergraduate and then apply to pharmacy school) nonetheless, you definitely still have a chance. FYI, any pharmacy school you are going to apply to will request your education history (grades,etc) from all the institutions you have attended. You should also know that most people who apply for pharmacy schools have a stellar GPA (3.0 and above) along with a good PCAT score (70 or above). I am not sure when you say you need only a 2.7 GPA because it is very unlikely that you will get accepted with that GPA unless you have a degree, good experience, and amazing PCAT scores.
You are correct that your grades can not be erased and will be seen by any pharmacy school you apply to. All pharmacy schools will require your history of grades from ALL colleges and universities you attended.

Again I am not sure what you mean by reapplying as if you had graduated high school for a pre-pharmacy program. You can either do the 0-6 program or the 2+4 program while applying to pharmacy school. In your situation, I would suggest you to retake most of the prerequisites you have taken and try to score as high as you can. Study hard for the PCAT and apply to a bunch of pharmacy schools.

Good Luck
(I am a college frosh in my second semester of college)

Another question I had was that I was wondering if it is possible for me to reapply to pre-pharmacy programs as a incoming undergrad student as if I had just graduated high school. As in, I had graduated high school in 2008, took three years off, and then decided to apply to pharm school after that. Three years being: 2 off because of the 2 years spent at my current university, and then one year off because it's too late to apply into the pre-pharmacy programs now. I will just spend my 3rd year off working as a pharm tech to get good background experience.

Basically you want to lie to the admissions department about your past coursework? I suppose that is possible. I hear most people don't have a whole lot of success with that though. Universities, especially health care type programs, tend to be pretty big on the whole honesty thing. There are various ways to check up on a student; this could be a full background check that includes education history, a simpler education verification which is just a really lean background check, financial information such as federal loans will typically give away other attended universities, or even just the fact that your story doesn't add up (uhh, I spent those first two years out HS doing nothing....yeah...nothing at all...).

Yes, it is too late to start over. There is no starting over. The best you can hope for is finding a school with a 5-year lifespan on accepted coursework and apply there. After you wait out the next 5 years. Even then they still might consider those previous grades, just not accept the credits. The only thing you can do right now is retake classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Currently, I am in my second year of undergrad in the pre-pharmacy program. However, because my current math/science GPA is not stellar (2.44), and there is a chance that I will not be able to pull it up to the required 2.7, my parents have debated pulling me out if I do not make it after this semester and having me start everything over at city college.

I was under the impression that the grades I have gotten at my current university could not be "erased" and would follow me all the way to pharm school. As in, when I apply to pharm school, there is no way for me to just omit the time period/grades that I received at my current university, is this correct? Also, how is it that schools find out if you have taken classes at other universities if you do not report the information to them?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Please don't hurt me if my questions sound dumb >_<

My personal advice to you is that..if you were going outside the country, you can lie and they might not find out.
THis is America and if you do what you want to do, the risk is that at any point they find out, you have blacklisted yourself as per honesty and you could be dismissed because of that.
My suggestion is to ensure that you have at least gotten a B- on all the phamracy prequisites and then go ahead to complete that degree by taking easier classes and better Cum GPA. By your 3rd and final year of the degree, take PCAt and apply to other pharmacy schools that do the 3 or 4 yr program. Beleive me, I have seen people who completed their bachelors degree and were accepted to pharmacy schools. If a 0-6yr pharmacy school turned you down, it doesnt mean you cannot become a pharmacist. I know someone that was turned down at USP and they went ahead and got a bachelors degree and "one-touch" they got admitted at a higher ranked pharmacy school than USP..so do the right thing than trying go around and make a huge mistake..my two cents.

Yes, you could try applying to 0-6 programs (at least my program, USP) as a freshman. They would probably still look at your college GPA though. We have a few people in our class who did this. Call them up and see how it works.

I am not too sure though that they'd accept you into a 0-6 pharmacy program if you're already not doing well in a pre-pharmacy program.

I think you will have a good chance of getting into MCPHS-boston or UPS, but do you want to lie to them about your past ? they will find out for sure. This is America... Go ahead and call up some schools and see if they will accept you or better yet stay at your school and start taking all the math and science class you have failed.
If you having trouble with it , get a tutor and tell him to show you the easiest way to solve it possible.

I was under the impression that the grades I have gotten at my current university could not be "erased" and would follow me all the way to pharm school. As in, when I apply to pharm school, there is no way for me to just omit the time period/grades that I received at my current university, is this correct? also, how is it that schools find out if you have taken classes at other universities if you do not report the information to them?

Your questions amount to: Can I lie to the admissions committee?

And the answer is no.

You are trying to apply to a professional school, for a doctorate degree. It is never okay to lie. If you are found to lie on your application or interview, schools will blacklist you. Not only that, but it just reflects oh so poorly on your integrity. If you get through life by lying now, chances are you will keep lying later in life, when you are a pharmacist, and those lies could endanger someone's life.

Suck it up. You got those poor grades, you have to live with them. That doesn't mean all hope is lost. It will be a longer and harder road than if you got a 3.5 GPA during these first two years, but if you work your butt off now for good grades, you can get in somewhere.

Yes, I'm in the 0-6 program. Also, I do not plan on getting BS, unless that is my LAST resort. In addition, it's not that I feel like I should be dropping out and the starting over, it's that my parents feel that I should. I was curious to what the ways how schools find out so I could tell my parents against their idea.

As for my math/science GPA, it's not like I actually failed any of my classes. I got one D, but I retook that class and got a B which then averaged it out to a C. The rest of my grades were in the B+ to C range. My school doesn't let me retake any classes with grades of C or higher, and not to mention they do grade averaging, and not replacement which they just changed for the year I entered. In addition, in my pre-pharmacy program I only have 4 science classes to bring my GPA up to a 2.7.

Also, because I'm in the pre-pharmacy program, I get the admissions to pharmacy school advantage that if I get the math/science GPA to be at least 2.7 and overall to 3.0, as long as I pass the interview and writing sample, I have a good chance of getting in..

Yes, I'm in the 0-6 program. Also, I do not plan on getting BS, unless that is my LAST resort. In addition, it's not that I feel like I should be dropping out and the starting over, it's that my parents feel that I should. I was curious to what the ways how schools find out so I could tell my parents against their idea.

It's your life, not your parent's ;)

Again if you're thinking about starting your professional career out by omitting information about yourself... well that's not a very good way to start out. You made mistakes, learn from them and move on.

Last edited:

As for my math/science GPA, it's not like I actually failed any of my classes. I got one D, but I retook that class and got a B which then averaged it out to a C. The rest of my grades were in the B+ to C range. My school doesn't let me retake any classes with grades of C or higher, and not to mention they do grade averaging, and not replacement which they just changed for the year I entered. In addition, in my pre-pharmacy program I only have 4 science classes to bring my GPA up to a 2.7.

Also, because I'm in the pre-pharmacy program, I get the admissions to pharmacy school advantage that if I get the math/science GPA to be at least 2.7 and overall to 3.0, as long as I pass the interview and writing sample, I have a good chance of getting in..

This is your parent's idea? I doubt the chances of you getting caught are very high. The schools just don't have the resources to do that kind of a background check. But if you do get caught, they will kick you out and you will never be a pharmacist. Setting aside the moral implications of what you are asking, do you really want the threat of being found out hanging over you for your entire schooling?

Members don't see this ad :)
DO NOT LIE or OMIT information to the adcoms. If they find out (which is very probable), you are going to be in a much worse situation than you are right now.

I would get a B.S. and take the PCAT your 2nd/3rd year. Then apply to many 2+4 programs to improve your chances - I'm talking like 10 schools or more. I've seen some people on SDN with horrendous stats and still got in because they applied to 15 schools or so. If you feel that this is too much work just to become a pharmacist then perhaps this profession isn't for you. You put yourself in this place you are in now, so you need to work hard to get yourself out of this hole. Best of luck

First off, I'd like to start by asking where any of your academic integrity is? I mean seriously... you did bad and you think that you can just ignore it/disclose it and start over again? I don't know what kind of rose colored glasses you're looking through, but come on man.

Second off, if you think you won't get caught, I'd just like to introduce you to the Student Clearinghouse (https://www.studentclearinghouse.org/) which verifies enrollment and attendance in college. 9/10 your school participates in this, and if they don't, well there are other things.... psh background checks.... 20 bucks will give a school a great picture of where you've lived, where you've attended, the whole nine yards... and don't think schools won't background check you, because 20 dollars is a tiny amount of money to spend for them to know they're making the RIGHT choice in a student.

Third, suck it up. You decided to enter a 0-6, no one forced you. You are your own person, and getting those grades were on your own terms. Obviously if you're a second year student, you're well above 18 so you know the difference between what's right and wrong, and if not, good luck getting by in today's society where second chances are rarely given out...... Lying will get you nowhere, and if it has worked for you in the past, it won't anymore.

There are people on this board who can attest to the fact they've worked their tails off from previous bad years in college.... if they could do it, so can you. Now on the other hand, if you're not willing to work hard, pharmacy REALLY isnt the right career path for you.

No, my life is based around my parents decisions. But yeah, I'm not exactly thrilled with the idea of having to start over and try to hide my past. Yes, it is my parents' idea. But now that I know how schools go about finding out about your past college attendance/etc, I can tell my parents about it and hopefully, they won't try to make me do that.

Everyone seems to be saying that it's all my choice, my decision, suck it up, etc. Okay, I will say I'll take part of the blame. However, it was NOT my decision to go to the school I'm currently attending. My parents decided for me. You can't say, "Oh, ignore your parents, do things YOU want." Yes, some people are able to do that, but because I've been raised that what my parents say goes (I come from a STRICT, OLD-FASHIONED, Asian family), it's very hard for me to fight out against my parents. I'm sure some of you may just tell me to grow some balls and suck it up some more, but my personality does not work that way. I HATE confrontation. I HATE being in trouble (another reason why I'm trying to find reasons to convince my parents otherwise of their idea..).

All in all, I think I will try to stick it out in my current program and make it through. Thanks for all of your inputs.

You should change your major and this is the quote that convinced me of that:

However, it was NOT my decision to go to the school I'm currently attending. My parents decided for me.

There's a slight possibility that you might be good at pharmacy but it's very unlikely. This parallels you using a buy-a-bride service, there's a chance that you might grow to love this Russian bride but it's very unlikely.

Screw your parents vision or whatever, you need to err on the side of doing what's best for you. Love yourself more than you love anyone else.

Except that he can't "screw his parents' vision", as he stated he is from an Asian family, very traditional, where the collective trumps the individual.

I suppose he could choose to "go rogue" and forsake all familial support, but that isn't something we, as forum-goers, should truly advocate... In an American family, that might be a totally viable option, Renetto, but OP is explaining that he simply can't do that.

Except that he can't "screw his parents' vision", as he stated he is from an Asian family, very traditional, where the collective trumps the individual.

I suppose he could choose to "go rogue" and forsake all familial support, but that isn't something we, as forum-goers, should truly advocate... In an American family, that might be a totally viable option, Renetto, but OP is explaining that he simply can't do that.

So? I have a friend who has an entire Catholic family yet he's an atheist.

The point is he isn't being forced to do this with a gun to his head and if he's not man enough to do what's best for him then he needs to get off this forum. He won't gain anything by listening to advice he refuses to take.

Okay, let's contemplate the idea of me "forsaking" my family, manning up, and being my own self. The problem here is that I've been raised up and ingrained with my parents' ideals of me "wanting" to become a pharmacist, where it became a "requirement," a "need" for me to become a pharmacist. I do not know any other option, I can't think of what other option would be there for me. It's like in psychology where an individual has lost the sense of his own individuality once he becomes part of a collective. To remove myself, I would be lost. I would not know I want to do with myself, and probably end up as a stray cat on the streets.

Sooo, I could end up getting a job at McDonald's or some other fast food, or some other random minimum wage job. Support myself somewhat. And probably NEVER figure out what I want to do with my life anyways, since I'm so lost.

Not to mention, I would probably be seen as a disgrace to my family and banned for life. Lovely. Just what I always wanted. A big confrontation about how I need to get a life, and then being in trouble with my family for the rest of my new "life."

But seriously, if I knew what I wanted to do other than pharmacy, I would seriously try to consider finding a way to do it. I just don't.

So? I have a friend who has an entire Catholic family yet he's an atheist.

The point is he isn't being forced to do this with a gun to his head and if he's not man enough to do what's best for him then he needs to get off this forum. He won't gain anything by listening to advice he refuses to take.

Gah, here's your friend again.

Problem: This is not religious. This is a deeply ingrained cultural thing for Asians. You've never been to an Asian country, clearly. Their entire life is dedicated to their family, from start to finish. This is beyond the scope of religion... far beyond.

Gah, here's your friend again.

Problem: This is not religious. This is a deeply ingrained cultural thing for Asians. You've never been to an Asian country, clearly. Their entire life is dedicated to their family, from start to finish. This is beyond the scope of religion... far beyond.

Different friend, like most people I have more than one.

If it's so deeply ingrained then why is here asking for advice? It's clear what he SHOULD do but since he won't do it we are essentially doing him a disservice.

Basically you want to lie to the admissions department about your past coursework? I suppose that is possible. I hear most people don't have a whole lot of success with that though. Universities, especially health care type programs, tend to be pretty big on the whole honesty thing. There are various ways to check up on a student; this could be a full background check that includes education history, a simpler education verification which is just a really lean background check, financial information such as federal loans will typically give away other attended universities, or even just the fact that your story doesn't add up (uhh, I spent those first two years out HS doing nothing....yeah...nothing at all...).

Yes, it is too late to start over. There is no starting over. The best you can hope for is finding a school with a 5-year lifespan on accepted coursework and apply there. After you wait out the next 5 years. Even then they still might consider those previous grades, just not accept the credits. The only thing you can do right now is retake classes.

Your questions amount to: Can I lie to the admissions committee?

And the answer is no.

You are trying to apply to a professional school, for a doctorate degree. It is never okay to lie. If you are found to lie on your application or interview, schools will blacklist you. Not only that, but it just reflects oh so poorly on your integrity. If you get through life by lying now, chances are you will keep lying later in life, when you are a pharmacist, and those lies could endanger someone's life.

Suck it up. You got those poor grades, you have to live with them. That doesn't mean all hope is lost. It will be a longer and harder road than if you got a 3.5 GPA during these first two years, but if you work your butt off now for good grades, you can get in somewhere.

First off, I'd like to start by asking where any of your academic integrity is? I mean seriously... you did bad and you think that you can just ignore it/disclose it and start over again? I don't know what kind of rose colored glasses you're looking through, but come on man.

Second off, if you think you won't get caught, I'd just like to introduce you to the Student Clearinghouse (https://www.studentclearinghouse.org/) which verifies enrollment and attendance in college. 9/10 your school participates in this, and if they don't, well there are other things.... psh background checks.... 20 bucks will give a school a great picture of where you've lived, where you've attended, the whole nine yards... and don't think schools won't background check you, because 20 dollars is a tiny amount of money to spend for them to know they're making the RIGHT choice in a student.

Third, suck it up. You decided to enter a 0-6, no one forced you. You are your own person, and getting those grades were on your own terms. Obviously if you're a second year student, you're well above 18 so you know the difference between what's right and wrong, and if not, good luck getting by in today's society where second chances are rarely given out...... Lying will get you nowhere, and if it has worked for you in the past, it won't anymore.

There are people on this board who can attest to the fact they've worked their tails off from previous bad years in college.... if they could do it, so can you. Now on the other hand, if you're not willing to work hard, pharmacy REALLY isnt the right career path for you.

I'm with them. You're actually considering lying about such a thing and you want to be a pharmacist?
Isn't it an 0-6 program? So you get just need a 2.7? How much time do you have left to pull up the GPA? Honestly it shouldn't be hard to pull that up to a 2.7 within a year, on top of that you probably should be well above a 2.7 regardless...

If my school did an academic background check on me, they would have charged me for it. In fact, they did do a criminal background check on me and they charged me for it. Plus they made me do all the work. I seriously doubt that schools are doing these checks on their applicants on the off chance that they might catch someone who left a transcript out. It takes up time at a really busy time of for them and potentially takes money.

Is there any evidence for these checks or are people just making stuff up?

Different friend, like most people I have more than one.

If it's so deeply ingrained then why is here asking for advice? It's clear what he SHOULD do but since he won't do it we are essentially doing him a disservice.

It's one thing to realize you need to do something, but its another thing to overcome a lifetime of mental training to overcome it.

If my school did an academic background check on me, they would have charged me for it. In fact, they did do a criminal background check on me and they charged me for it. Plus they made me do all the work. I seriously doubt that schools are doing these checks on their applicants on the off chance that they might catch someone who left a transcript out. It takes up time at a really busy time of for them and potentially takes money.

Is there any evidence for these checks or are people just making stuff up?

I doubt it. I had to do a background check as a part of my introduction to pharmacy class the semester after I was accepted.

It would be very weird to say "I'm clean as a whistle" in the interview only to have "convicted rapist and murderer" show up on the background check.

It's foolish to try to hide your academic history. If any school finds out through any loans or financial aid or even Facebook postings they won't think twice about dumping you. Even if you have a low GPA you have at least a couple of years to get good grades and get some pharmacy related extracurriculars. Pharmacy admissions love to see these kinds of changes. It's going to take some extra time and effort and only you can know if you're up for it. I speak from experience, I had a lower GPA than you and then decided to do Pharmacy and had A/A- for the past 2 years and I've gotten interviewed at half a dozen schools this year. Also although I'm Chinese, my parents are the coolest people in the world and never pushed me to be a pharmacist. I'm self motivated to choose to succeed in this profession. If you are really interested in being a pharmacist taking an extra year or two to pad and prepare your profile should be an easy choice.

I doubt it. I had to do a background check as a part of my introduction to pharmacy class the semester after I was accepted.

It would be very weird to say "I'm clean as a whistle" in the interview only to have "convicted rapist and murderer" show up on the background check.

They told us about one guy who had multiple drug convictions show up on their background check. It turned out that he had the same name as careless druggie guy and it was a case of mistaken identity. But imagine the panic if your school came to you and said you failed your background check.

You know, also coming from a strict asain family I can sympathize with the OP. It is often difficult for people of general american up bringing to understand the deep seated vaules of honor and pride that come with the old traditional values. While excellent for moral and the drive to become something great it also leaves you bound to very few pathes in your life that you can choose which will leave you standing in a favorable light!

I am fortunate to have a bit of a more relaxed attitude from my parents since my father broke the mold many years ago by marrying my mother (Who is Puerto Rican, amd yes this does matter! The OP will understand!) And the fact that most of my family are second generation here so while we are not living terrible, most of my family is invovled with middle class work. But there is a lot of pressure as the third generation with many more resources at our disposal to become something of what they feel is worth! Long story short, while I do feel the OP is responsible for his own poor grades I feel like you can change that around! I salvaged a 3.1 from my own burnout and you can do it as well! However I don't blame you for the full extent of the situation for that I know you didn't exactly have a say as to how this ended up here. If you were allowed to choose something you were passionate about the grades would have followed suit! so my advice to you is. . .. even though you think you may not know what you want to do, you obviously know this wasn't one of the things you would want to do now. So why not salvage whatever grades you can and apply for something you have true interest in that your parents may approve of as well! And if they have as much say as you say they do then they must be leading financial support so putting more schooling under your belt won't be a problem!! Good luck to you OP!

Sounds to me like some of you need a lesson on cultural competence.

OP, I can empathize with you, too. Latinos are somewhat the same way. We try to make our parents proud and happy because, usually, we are in a better place than they were so I can definitely relate to the feelings of pride or shame.

So, with that said, here is my advice:

1. Tell them your grades will follow you
2. Stick it out and try to get the 2.7gpa/3.0gpa
3. If you cannot do that, starting over really isn't that bad. Lots of people do it.
4. if that doesn't work, try to find a similar career in healthcare you might like that your parents will approve of. Chances are the classes you have already taken will count as pre-reqs. There is PA school, DO/MD school, PT, etc.
5. You might have to get the BS- sux, I know, but it would be worth it to get in somewhere else
6. If they are paying, there are always student loans you can get to stay at University instead of CC. You wouldn't be the first going into pharm school with undergrad debt.

That's really all I can think of. :(

There are ways of being convincing I think. Your parents just want you to have a good job with good pay. So find a good job with good pay that you're interested in, and be convincing that you truly are going to a program that will get you there.

My roommate's brother is interested in business. His parents wouldn't let him, because of the obvious stigma of business degrees. Then my roommate convinced them that you can still do well with a business degree if you graduate from a few top-tier schools. They decided to let him do business if he got into Wharton. Well, he got in, so he can now do what he truly wants to do. I hope he doesn't mind me using his story, if he shows up on here.

There is always logic and compromises that can be made. Just try to find out what you truly want to do. As long as it's not a complete wast of a degree and lands you a stable job in the future, your may reason with you. Then again, I don't know your parents and I am not Asian. My parents kind of strongly suggested for me to go to pharmacy school after I told them I didn't want to do medicine, but they didn't mind me doing law either (since I was also interested in law at the time). In the end I did end up choosing pharmacy and am happy about it, esp. since I probably wouldn't have a job if I chose to go to the BS/JD program that I got in at.

Thank you for everyone who took the time to help and/or were able to sympathize with me. It really means a lot to me. I was feeling kind of overwhelmed and suffocated from all the pressure I'm getting from my parents and school, and to know that there are people out there who understand for my situation makes me feel a lot better.

So far, I think the extent to how much I can convince my parents will greatly depend on how I fare this semester. As of right now, my tentative plan is to try to do the best I can to get that 2.7/3.0 GPA. And if that doesn't work out I'll either try to reapply to other 0-6 programs WITHOUT hiding my grades or go back to city college to rework myself, or go for a BS at some other university as per your guys' advice.

Regarding changing careers, I really have no idea what I would be interested in. Not to mention, if I were to change careers, it would have to be one in which I still got a professional degree. To my parents, anything less is a shame. Another key point is that I am the oldest child, and my "failure" in getting anything other than a professional degree would serve as a horrible role model in which my younger siblings look up to.

On the financial point, while my parents are paying for my education now, they FULLY expect me to pay them back once I get out of college and get a job. And while my dad (my mom is a stay-at-home) is able to scrounge up money to pay for my education, I actually became a part time student because we're currently tight on money, and I didn't want to stress out my dad so much, considering he's working 3 jobs. Not to mention that my brother is starting college this upcoming year and that will make us even more tight on money. The problem with financial aid is that my dad still makes enough money for me to only be able to receive the Federal Stafford Unsub loans, and those aren't enough to cover for the expensive tuition and housing costs that I'm incurring since they don't give us much to begin with. I'm wondering that if I declare myself an independent, will I be able to get more loans to cover for my tuition?

Thanks again for your replies and advice.

I would say it is too late to start over in a 0-6 program, but as others have said it's not the end of the world. The thing is, I can't think of a single 0-6 program that would admit to year 1 a student who already has significant amounts of college credit and who will have been out of high school for several years (much less one who was in a 0-6 program previously). Even if one did, your current performance just wouldn't look good, so you are better off working on your GPA if you really want that guaranteed PharmD admission (regardless of lack of internal motivations). Also, at this point in time you generally would NOT be considered independent for FAFSA purposes.