is it too late to start studying now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

synapse

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I havent started studying for the mcat. I plan to take it in April. I won't finish my last quarter of physics by the time I take the mcat in April. I am wondering if there is still hope of doing well on the mcat of I start studying now.

Thanks,
worried dr-wannabe

Members don't see this ad.

Of course you can start studying now. I wont be done with my physics either by the time it is time to take the MCATs. I looked over some things this winter break, but didn't do as much as I had hoped. Oh well -- its a new semester, so make new resolutions to study. I plan on studying using th EK schedule (even though I am choosing to use Kaplan and Princeton Review). I didnt opt to take any of the classes, so its just me studying by myself.

I know of many people that studied only from a couple weeks to a month and did awesome on the MCATs. Just don't slack now, and starting putting in some hours daily. If we are consistent, I'm sure we will be fine.

synapse said:
Hi,

I havent started studying for the mcat. I plan to take it in April. I won't finish my last quarter of physics by the time I take the mcat in April. I am wondering if there is still hope of doing well on the mcat of I start studying now.

Thanks,
worried dr-wannabe

Sure, I took Mcat april of 03, started to study in mid January and wasn't finished with second semester of physics. It's more than enough time to study. I think all you need is 3 solid months.

I took the MCAT before having taken physics, and got the same score on PS when I retook after the class. While you obviously will need some physics, it's really mostly conceptual and based on simple 1st semester stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
I started studying in the middle of June '04, had a full-time job, and took the Aug '04 MCAT. You have plenty of time. Good luck. :thumbup:

I really didn't start studing until the first week of March, but I didn't have to spend much time on Chemistry and I didn't even go over Biology. My only problem area turned out to VR which I was only able to raise by a point.

It depends on the person. For most people, now is enough time.

For the some others that need more time to read, re-read, and put more time into learning, now is not enough time.

Old quote, but true: When you feel you're late, that's the best time to start"

As for late or not, I suppose if you've taken all your classes except for physics, it's not too bad. I know of people who have done well without finishing Physics in their curriculum. Either way, 3-4 months really IS a lot of time if you manage it well.

I started over break, just by reviewing old stuff - since I haven't looked at anything science related in the last 2 years. It's really not that bad once you get back into the swing of things.

Gluck!