is it true

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jesiah

hoot hootums
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that if an applicant's parent is a veterinarian, it gives the applicant an advantage. Is that true?

Members don't see this ad.

From what i heard about most schools, it doesnt matter. You still need the stats and experience to get in. I do think that if your parent is a vet... it is A LOT easier to gain experience. Not to mention they have the pleasure of coming in whenever they want to. Whereas when I volunteer now, i have to make sure i stay on a consistent schedule so they know I am committed. I think the only place it may matter (from the places I applied) is UPenn, because they specifically ask you if your parents are a vet.
The vet who i volunteer with, he has THREE daughters who are vets lol can you believe that? but they are all really nice&smart and all deserving of it. Their family is def famous at my IS school tho lol

Purdue seems to be pretty big on 'legacy'. And from people that I have known who were in vet school here, they smile kindly on large donations as well...but I have no solid evidence, just what I hear.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cornell likes to know who in your family is a vet and if they attended Cornell for any period of time.
I'm not sure it gives an applicant a distinct advantage to make up for crappy stats though. I think, if it comes down to to students with 3.7 GPAs and relatively equal experience/GRE/LORs, then they might choose the one with a Cornell legacy over the one without.

Who knows, though.

From what i heard about most schools, it doesnt matter. You still need the stats and experience to get in. I do think that if your parent is a vet... it is A LOT easier to gain experience. Not to mention they have the pleasure of coming in whenever they want to. Whereas when I volunteer now, i have to make sure i stay on a consistent schedule so they know I am committed. I think the only place it may matter (from the places I applied) is UPenn, because they specifically ask you if your parents are a vet.
The vet who i volunteer with, he has THREE daughters who are vets lol can you believe that? but they are all really nice&smart and all deserving of it. Their family is def famous at my IS school tho lol

Virginia?

The head of admissions at AUA read me the comments of my application review. They said bla bla bla.... dr. so and so noted that you are missing two pre reqs, and dr bla bla commented that your father is a veterinarian, and that you have a buttload of experience, so you probably will not have trouble transitioning into the material. He suggested you be admitted with the requirement that you finish these two courses...

So it gives the advantage of gaining experience more easily, and it also gives the advantage of seeing what it is like to be a veterinarian at home...not just at work. Things like being called in the middle of the night, talking to clients every time you are in public, going on farm calls at two in the morning, neighbors asking for help... all these things help a person to understand what it is really like to be a veterinarian. My point is that being the kid of a vet gives you a much easier way to have a deeper understanding of the field, regardless of how hard you worked for that understanding. Vet schools recognize this kind of realization. While it may not be fair, in reality, a vets kid has an easier time of coming to the same levels of experience and understanding of the profession. Schools recognize that.

The head of admissions at AUA read me the comments of my application review. They said bla bla bla.... dr. so and so noted that you are missing two pre reqs, and dr bla bla commented that your father is a veterinarian, and that you have a buttload of experience, so you probably will not have trouble transitioning into the material. He suggested you be admitted with the requirement that you finish these two courses...

So it gives the advantage of gaining experience more easily, and it also gives the advantage of seeing what it is like to be a veterinarian at home...not just at work. Things like being called in the middle of the night, talking to clients every time you are in public, going on farm calls at two in the morning, neighbors asking for help... all these things help a person to understand what it is really like to be a veterinarian. My point is that being the kid of a vet gives you a much easier way to have a deeper understanding of the field, regardless of how hard you worked for that understanding. Vet schools recognize this kind of realization. While it may not be fair, in reality, a vets kid has an easier time of coming to the same levels of experience and understanding of the profession. Schools recognize that.

Well in that case...does it help if your parent is a doctor? My dad is and I know what it's like when he is on call and such...

yup, you've heard of them all the way at OSU? lol

If it's who I am thinking of - I am friends with the youngest (she's still in school there).

If it's who I am thinking of - I am friends with the youngest (she's still in school there).

ya she is! i know the 2 younger ones. Well, the middle one isn't really that young lol but she is now working with her father at his clinic. I love working with her! I find there is a big difference with vets right out of school vs. older ones. She loves teaching us things and explaining the science behind stuff. She is also really open to answering any question you ask. It's nice because sometimes i want to learn more but i dont know a good question to ask, but she will just automatically start telling you about anything.

It helps you get into vet school if you are a left-handed male 1st-generation Asian immigrant whose parents taught at a vet school in your home country and you want to work with food animals in rural and impoverished areas for $7,000/year.

Sorry to hijack, but I just couldn't resist.

It helps you get into vet school if you are a left-handed male 1st-generation Asian immigrant whose parents taught at a vet school in your home country and you want to work with food animals in rural and impoverished areas for $7,000/year.

I wish i was a left-handed male 1st-generation Asian immigrant whose parents taught at a vet school in my home country!

I'm a left-handed male, at least! I should send all my schools an update lol.

Dear Vet School,

Just wanted to let you know i'm a left handed male. Just something to keep in mind while making your decisions.

-DVP

I'm pretty sure my parrot goes to this vet - Quince Orchard?

lol yea. oman we get the most beautiful parrots coming in!! dangerous tho! many fingers bitten there haha... thankfully, everyone's are still attached :D

I'm a left-handed male, at least! I should send all my schools an update lol.

Dear Vet School,

Just wanted to let you know i'm a left handed male. Just something to keep in mind while making your decisions.

-DVP

At the very least it might make them laugh and help them to remember you for later. ;)