Is it worth applying DO this upcoming cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Allosteopath

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Canadian/American who has applied unsuccessfully twice(albeit with a waitlist this year) in Canada where I reside. I was slightly hesitant about applying DO since American schools look at all undergraduate years in GPA calculation where I did extraordinarily poorly early on (cGPA 1.7 at the time) and many Canadian schools forgive this by examining only the final two years of GPA.

Where I stand now:
~3.2 cGPA and ~3.16 sGPA MCAT: 507
Approximately:
150 hours of volunteering (hospital + mentorship opportunities) + 100ish additional hours.
Various work experience during school and continuing presently.
~ I am trying to arrange some DO shadowing in the USA to add to my application, a bit of a challenge since I am just cold calling (advice?)

Would it be worth the money to throw in an application at this point? As a non-traditional applicant who is a father of a one year old sometimes making time for volunteering hasn't been a tremendous priority lately, but I hope to expand on some of the hours I have now.

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Definitely. I had a 3.2cgpa/507 MCAT with a post bacc, applied November and have interviews at ~1/3rd of the schools I applied to, 1/3rd silence and 1/3rd rejections.

Are you international though? It might be inadvisable if you're a Canadian resident applying for US schools without more grade repair.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely. I had a 3.2cgpa/507 MCAT with a post bacc, applied November and have interviews at ~1/3rd of the schools I applied to, 1/3rd silence and 1/3rd rejections.

Are you international though? It might be inadvisable if you're a Canadian resident applying for US schools without more grade repair.

Fortunately I was always an American citizen before I became Canadian, I just happened to live in Canada throughout high school and undergraduate. Also how many schools did you apply to?

On a sidenote is the US different in that once you get an interview the admissions decision is based on the interview?

Last edited:
You could receive interviews at some DO schools with your stats and I suggest all these:
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
ICOM
BCOM
UIWSOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
LUCOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LECOM (all schools)

Fortunately I was always an American citizen before I became Canadian, I just happened to live in Canada throughout high school and undergraduate. Also how many schools did you apply to?

On a sidenote is the US different in that once you get an interview the admissions decision is based on the interview?

About a dozen. I sent out more apps than that buy only submitted 12 secondaries. I’d have TUNCOM and both Lecoms at the top of your list. Neither have secondary essays and I had interviews for both.

It really depends on the cycle and how competitive it is, but your overall GPA is slightly concerning despite a good MCAT score. I was in a similar boat with a 3.1 overall GPA and 505 MCAT, I received 1 interview at the time and did not get into any schools. I only got accepted after I completed a Masters Program where I received a 4.0 GPA. If you are serious about going to med school I would highly advise doing either a post-bacc or Masters to boost your GPA. No matter your MCAT score, schools will have a hard time overlooking your overall GPA. You have to think that most of these schools are getting 8,000+ applications, so any red flag on your application is an easy way to put you on the not accepted pile when there are only 150-200 seats.

Reactions: 1 user

Could you PM me? We have similar stats but my cycle didn’t go as expected.

Your stats looks good enough for DO schools, especially for the newest ones.

With an update, it looks like if I include some courses that I took at a flight college (still post-secondary, likely non-accredited but still required by AACOMAS) my overall GPA on my application is brought up to ~3.4

I was enrolled in this college for flight training and these courses were included in the program. As I have said, the program is likely not regionally accredited (private institution on in Canada), but AACOMAS requires me to report the grades.

Would this have any bearing on my application?

It really depends on the cycle and how competitive it is, but your overall GPA is slightly concerning despite a good MCAT score. I was in a similar boat with a 3.1 overall GPA and 505 MCAT, I received 1 interview at the time and did not get into any schools. I only got accepted after I completed a Masters Program where I received a 4.0 GPA. If you are serious about going to med school I would highly advise doing either a post-bacc or Masters to boost your GPA. No matter your MCAT score, schools will have a hard time overlooking your overall GPA. You have to think that most of these schools are getting 8,000+ applications, so any red flag on your application is an easy way to put you on the not accepted pile when there are only 150-200 seats.
Are you saying that overall GPA is more weighted than science GPA?

Question- how well did you do in your postbac? Just asking bc I’m in a similar situation and am doing a post bac

Question- how well did you do in your postbac? Just asking bc I’m in a similar situation and am doing a post bac

3.8 s/cgpa @40 units while working full time. Although I'm pretty sure 30 units is sufficient from what other people have said here.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a Canadian/American who has applied unsuccessfully twice(albeit with a waitlist this year) in Canada where I reside. I was slightly hesitant about applying DO since American schools look at all undergraduate years in GPA calculation where I did extraordinarily poorly early on (cGPA 1.7 at the time) and many Canadian schools forgive this by examining only the final two years of GPA.

Where I stand now:
~3.2 cGPA and ~3.16 sGPA MCAT: 507
Approximately:
150 hours of volunteering (hospital + mentorship opportunities)
Various work experience during school and continuing presently.
~ I am trying to arrange some DO shadowing in the USA to add to my application, a bit of a challenge since I am just cold calling (advice?)

Would it be worth the money to throw in an application at this point? As a non-traditional applicant who is a father of a one year old sometimes making time for volunteering hasn't been a tremendous priority lately, but I hope to expand on some of the hours I have now.

Cheers!
With that MCAT score alone, you have to apply DO. As a reinventor, doubly so.

You could receive interviews at some DO schools with your stats and I suggest all these:
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
ICOM
BCOM
UIWSOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
LUCOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LECOM (all schools)