Is it worth buying a cheap surgical loupe or microscope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobjuca

Reaction score
Hello, I'm thinking about buying either a cheap jeweler's loupe(but in a glasses shape) or an equally cheap soldering microscope(40x magnification) in one of those chinese websites to train microsutures. Is it worth the price or I might as well just use only my vision?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a medical student who has matched neurosurgery?
God speed.

Are you a medical student planning on applying to neurosurgery?
Your effort at this time is better spent doing well in class, research, boards, letters, and basic skills. No one in their right mind is going to let you near instruments in microsurgery, and any basic skills you will practice will either be wrong technique wise or lost to the great beyond by the time it comes around.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you a medical student who has matched neurosurgery?
God speed.

Are you a medical student planning on applying to neurosurgery?
Your effort at this time is better spent doing well in class, research, boards, letters, and basic skills. No one in their right mind is going to let you near instruments in microsurgery, and any basic skills you will practice will either be wrong technique wise or lost to the great beyond by the time it comes around.
I'm an intern, but I already have my own instruments(same story, pretty cheap). Yeah, I see your point, thank you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an intern, but I already have my own instruments(same story, pretty cheap). Yeah, I see your point, thank you.
my mistake,please ignore my initial post, i was confused since your tag said medical student.

Oh yes, well, you see, here in Brazil we have quite a different graduation system, basically our course takes 6 years. 4 of which happen in actual university with classes, and hospitals with hands on practical activities, kind of a supervised internship of sorts, at those we do basically everything(including minor surgeries) and then a doctor checks what you've done and sign the prescriptions, and then, at last, our final 2 years(which we call internship, that was my mistake) happens fully at hospitals and our public health units across town, and we again do basically everything but now with more emotional weight and more complex procedures. So anyway, although I'm in 5th year, and therefore an intern(by Brazil's standarts), I'm still a medical student.

Reactions: 1 users