Is it worth getting my PsyD if I can get my LPC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lamorena

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your question is complicated as there are a lot of different factors to consider and it largely depends on what your interests are. I was in the same boat as you. I obtained my MA and went directly into a Ph.D. program primarily because I wanted more flexibility in my career and more money as well. With a Ph.D. you are significantly more versatile and flexible with your career options. With a Psy.D. you are a bit less flexible but still more flexible than a LPC.

If you are pursuing your doctorate for money keep a couple of things in mind. A licensed psychologist makes considerably more than an LPC in staff positions at hospitals, etc., but as far as private practice goes, LPC's can make very similar money to psychologists given that insurance reimbursement rates are very similar. Psychologists are more versatile in that they can provide assessments though.

What do you think of assessments, research, and teaching? My therapy has improved very significantly through my practicum training in my program, but the main result of my training is that I am going to be able to use psychological assessments, conduct research and supervision.

A lot of people warn about the time and emotional investment it takes to get through graduate training but if you have been a therapist at an inpatient facility for over a year and a half you can probably handle school lol.

My advice to you is to take some time and really consider what your life is going to look like for the minimum of 4 years while you are in school. You are not only going to be in class, you will also be doing a practicum as well (16 hours a week), and if you are in a Ph.D. program you may be doing an RA/TA job on top of everything (another 16 hours a week).

The Ph.D. or Psy.D. is really going to test your commitment. I was 90% certain that I wanted to be a psychologist after receiving my MA. After my first semester in my Ph.D. program I was 50%, maybe even a bit lower at some points, and I started seriously considering other options. Everyone else in my program had serious doubts about themselves in their pursuits as well and you will probably hear similar stories in this thread. It's just like anything else though, if you make the most of it and do your best to adopt a positive mindset, you won't have nearly as much trouble as a lot of people.

As far as private practice goes, think about were you live and the avaiilable client you might see before making the decision to go for the Psy.D. provided you wish t return to that area. I live in the rural Appalachian south were most people have either Medicaid or Medicare and relatively fewer people have private insurance. An LPC can not bill Medicare at this time, So by getting a PH.D. I am opening up a large numberof people whom I would otherwise not be able to see as an Master's level therapist.

Members don't see this ad :)
The reasons for that statement from the PhD are needed to properly evaluate that statement. I have a PhD. I'd say, "If I knew back then what I know now, I would have gone to medical school or law school."

Biz school and law school are even more snobby about where you go, so anything outside of Tier I is far less valuable.

Talk to people who are doing now what you hope to be doing in 10 years. There is no general answer that can address your individual needs. And it is even possible to get licensed as an LPC and later get a doctorate. A key factor should be what your plans are around having a family and what kind of work will work well around that. The doctorate is a MAJOR financial and time investment that shouldn't be minimized. If you want to teach and supervise you need to think about where and who you want to teach...because programs look for similar degrees. So you could have a master's level degree and do private practice, teach and supervise master level clinicians once licensed. From a career perspective, the doctorate does allow you to use formal testing and can be an advantage for administrative/management or consulting work. But do calculate the annual loan obligation you will have because many doctoral students struggle under their loan debt for a decade or more.

That's the point (from my perspective). I'd prefer that. E.g., I go to UCLA law school, I make $160,000 a year starting 3 years later. Perfect.

Did this a couple of decades ago. NOT so perfect.;)

With a Psy.D. you are a bit less flexible but still more flexible than a LPC.

I disagree. You are overstating this point, just as so many other PhD candidates do. Your statement also subtly implies that a PsyD is more comparable to an LPC, which is misleading. The fact is that having a PsyD, 99 times out of 100, will not matter when trying to obtain a doctoral level position. The above statement isn't even worth the typing time, yet it is so often made.

What they were saying about PhD/PsyD flexibility is true. Having a PhD makes you more flexible in the job market. Just because something is DIFFERENT does not mean that it is less than or better than.

The very basis of getting a PhD is that it trains you to do research, teach at a University, do clinical work, and whatever else you like. This means options.

The very basis of getting a PsyD is that it trains you to do clinical work and in some programs, research. This means fewer options.

Most medical departments, research departments, grants, Universities, and the like have PhDs working in these capacities. In addition to clincal work, I teach as a adjunct professor. I also do research. The only capacity in which I work with PsyDs is clinical. They are not involved in the other areas although this does not mean my sample is the population.

There is no merit to denying differences between the degrees. Of course there are differences.

To the OP:

I wouldn't go for the PsyD but rather a funded PhD. You want a program that will pay you to go to the program and waive your tuition. You do not want to incur 150K in debt in this health care climate. Due to simple economics, a doctoral degree is not worth that much debt.

I've wanted to be a clinical psychologist for as long as I can remember.

The very basis of getting a PsyD is that it trains you to do clinical work and in some programs, research.

Where did the original poster mention that they wanted to teach or do research?

Of course there's variance between degrees, I'm not so thick to argue that there isn't. For what the original poster was asking, namely clinical practice, there really aren't fewer options in the big picture. Is that to say that there aren't potential employers that would prefer a PhD? No, of course not. But to say that that is a major difference between the two degrees' potential for employment in clinical practice is ludicrous.

To the OP:
Go get an MD! You'll have more options that all of us here on the forum, and you'll make 3 times more than us.

Last edited:
But to say that that is a major difference between the two degrees is ludicrous.

Agreed. I'm a Psy.D. and while I am in the minority at my hospital, I'm not viewed differently than the Ph.Ds. I actually have more research interest and contributions than other Ph.Ds, while they have much more of an interest in providing therapy (which I don't). The Ph.D= research, Psy.D= clinical is patently false.

which brings up the question.. do psychologists often look at psychiatrists and wish they had gone to med school instead? is anyone ever content in this field? i guess the grass is ALWAYS greener..

Sometimes I do, just because of the plethora of employment opportunities available to psychiatrists, but the day to day work does not appeal to me. Med School was a consideration, but it is a very different animal and a very long road if you do not want to be a physician first, and psychiatrist second.

I think there are good opportunities in psychology, but you need to work for them more, and you need to differentiate yourself from your peers and mid-level providers. While I wish I could step out with my license and have a bunch of places to choose from, I know that I can still make it work and live well with some hard work. I am also looking to work in non-traditional areas for a psychologist (consulting and business management), so I can make my money elsewhere once I get established.