Is it worth it to apply to CASPER schools with a bad score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reapplicant2021

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title pretty much. Scored in the first quartile and feeling a weird mix of terror and just laughing it off as an absurd test. Anyway, would completing secondaries to CASPER schools now just be burning money?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Wondering the same....somehow I scored in a LOWER percentile this year than last. I used their specific advice of:

"Applicants who placed in higher quartiles may have done so for a number of reasons, based on the competencies Casper is designed to measure. These might include:

• Effort: they may have tried harder to respond to questions (for instance, they may have explained their position fully, or used the full amount of time before moving on to the next question, compared to those who applicants who place in the first quartile)
  • Empathy: they considered all perspectives in a meaningful way
  • Equity: they show the same high degree of respect for the experiences and needs of others
  • Communication: they demonstrated above-average ability to effectively articulate their ideas
  • Familiarity with the medium: they familiarized themselves with the format of the test (video, typed response, etc.) and were able to successfully navigate these aspects of the test. "
I work with patients daily and have strong recommendations from health professionals on my attitude/empathy/etc. How could this test possibly assess these things accurately? I am so pissed and feeling lost about the schools that require this.. any advice appreciated :(

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Wondering the same....somehow I scored in a LOWER percentile this year than last. I used their specific advice of:

"Applicants who placed in higher quartiles may have done so for a number of reasons, based on the competencies Casper is designed to measure. These might include:

• Effort: they may have tried harder to respond to questions (for instance, they may have explained their position fully, or used the full amount of time before moving on to the next question, compared to those who applicants who place in the first quartile)
  • Empathy: they considered all perspectives in a meaningful way
  • Equity: they show the same high degree of respect for the experiences and needs of others
  • Communication: they demonstrated above-average ability to effectively articulate their ideas
  • Familiarity with the medium: they familiarized themselves with the format of the test (video, typed response, etc.) and were able to successfully navigate these aspects of the test. "
I work with patients daily and have strong recommendations from health professionals on my attitude/empathy/etc. How could this test possibly assess these things accurately? I am so pissed and feeling lost about the schools that require this.. any advice appreciated :(
I didn't do well either. I'm a registered nurse and 75% of my job is interpersonal. I have letters of recommendation from two people at work, a nursing supervisor and a physician, both of whom think highly of how I conduct myself. Any reasonable adcom should take the CASPer with a grain of salt and trust a quality LOR from someone you know well over a depersonalized typing test. Not everyone can garner a stellar recommendation or ace the interview.

Schools are not transparent about how they use CASPer because they still don't know what to do with it. There are probably schools out there that will misuse the CASPer as a screening tool for interviews, but I have faith that most will not. You can demonstrate your interpersonal qualities through essays, activities, LORs, and interviews. Keep your chin up!

@reapplicant2021 Do not let it discourage you from applying. Just as with GPA/MCAT, you are more than a number.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't do well either. I'm a registered nurse and 75% of my job is interpersonal. I have letters of recommendation from two people at work, a nursing supervisor and a physician, both of whom think highly of how I conduct myself. Any reasonable adcom should take the CASPer with a grain of salt and trust a quality LOR from someone you know well over a depersonalized typing test. Not everyone can garner a stellar recommendation or ace the interview.

Schools are not transparent about how they use CASPer because they still don't know what to do with it. There are probably schools out there that will misuse the CASPer as a screening tool for interviews, but I have faith that most will not. You can demonstrate your interpersonal qualities through essays, activities, LORs, and interviews. Keep your chin up!

@reapplicant2021 Do not let it discourage you from applying. Just as with GPA/MCAT, you are more than a number.
Thank you for the hope :)

Reactions: 1 user
It's really odd. My typing speed is pretty good (70+ WPM) and I tried to make compromises and not take sides in the scenarios. I managed to get a sentence into every question too and I've heard people get the 4th quartile without answering all the questions. I didn't think I'd get the top quartile but also no the worst quartile either. Whatever lol. It is what it is.

Reactions: 2 users
It's really odd. My typing speed is pretty good (70+ WPM) and I tried to make compromises and not take sides in the scenarios. I managed to get a sentence into every question too and I've heard people get the 4th quartile without answering all the questions. I didn't think I'd get the top quartile but also no the worst quartile either. Whatever lol. It is what it is.
Same! It sucks because with this test you don't know what exactly you could have done better, you can only speculate. I'm just trying to channel my energy elsewhere - namely, secondaries

Do you guys know if it's possible to retake it? Is it a one-shot thing? :(

I haven't taken it yet, but reading these posts is making me worry. :(

Nope. One shot per year. No transparency. And, no real way to prepare. Many high stat applicants who were sure they figured the test out report scoring in the bottom quartile. There is no reason to push it back, because it is so opaque that there is nothing extra time will do for you.

Schools receive scores weeks before candidates do, and candidates only receive quartiles while schools receive actual scores. It is what it is. As for how it is used, or whether to apply with a crappy score, this is directly from Altus:

"Whichever quartile your Casper score is placed, it should not dissuade you from applying to any program. Many programs consider all quartiles and use Casper as an additional piece of information among many metrics to make admissions decisions."

Personally, unless and until schools are more transparent about how they use the test, or whether they are just using us as guinea pigs to later map scores to ultimate success as matriculants, I wouldn't stop myself from applying anywhere based on a random test measuring some non-cognitive skill set. JMHO.

Only once per cycle.

You shouldn't worry about it. CASPER is nothing compared to the MCAT or undergrad. I did well on it and I disagree with people who say you can't prepare for it. Although, don't over-prepare and stress yourself out. I recommend spending a few hours the day before going through a few practice scenarios, read expert responses and understand why they're good responses, and then take the practice exam. Also have a few ethical dilemmas in your own personal history that you can talk about. I would take it ASAP since it takes 4 weeks to get your score.

Reactions: 1 users
Apply broadly and include schools that don't require CASPER. I wouldn't fret about it. What is done is done.

Solution

I absolutely needed this thread. I have six years of employment within engineering and recently as a CNA where I have always worked with other people. I have had managers and mentors tell me provide feedback that I am at good working with other people. I ended up in the 25-50 quartile of CASPer and was shocked! Hopefully schools can get past this.

Reactions: 1 users
I got an interview with a school before I found out my score. Later found out I was in the bottom quartile. I believe ALOT of them are gauging if it actually does anything as there is no evidence. Remember we are an evidence-based field :)

I just got my scores… scored in the 1st percentile and thought I had done pretty well while taking it…. I guess I did finish my answers before the time ends and didn’t take the practice test but I’d be so surprised if that’s the criteria they use for scoring it…
I wrote full answers and didn’t judge anyone in any scenario… mostly opted for the most communicative way of resolving conflict… I really don’t understand how I got such a bad score.

• Care
I just got my scores… scored in the 1st percentile and thought I had done pretty well while taking it…. I guess I did finish my answers before the time ends and didn’t take the practice test but I’d be so surprised if that’s the criteria they use for scoring it…
I wrote full answers and didn’t judge anyone in any scenario… mostly opted for the most communicative way of resolving conflict… I really don’t understand how I got such a bad score.
Don't feel badly about it. It matters less than you think. I managed to get two interviews so far from Casper schools with a 2nd quartile score. I almost didn't apply to some of them (like BU) because of it, but I'm glad I did because I still got an II. VCU told us they only use Casper scores when trying to decide between two very similar applicants to interview. Just apply broadly to both Casper and non-Casper schools... I promise you'll be fine, you just gotta see the bigger picture.

I did terrible on the Casper and got a couple interviews from schools requiring it. But also haven't heard back from some others who required it also.