Is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pakbabydoll

Average student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got this volunteer slot for Monday nights 5-9. The thing is that Monday is my only day off. I only have one lecture class monday and so after 11am I can catch up on some sleep. I have a full schedule rest of the week and I work weekends all day ( double shifts). I know I am being lazy but I don't feel like giving up my sleep day. I am suppose to volunteer at the ER but there is no patient contact allowed. Last summer when I volunteered I got some patient contact because I knew people on the staff but I don't know anyone any more. I'll basically just be changing bed sheets. Do you think I should just do it? Is it even worth it? I have 112 hours and I was planning on doing some more next year at this free clinic.

Opinions? I know I am justifying not wanting to go through it so give me pros and cons please :)

Members don't see this ad.

Finding any kind of worthwhile volunteer job or shadowing opps around here has been very tough - I would jump at the chance to get something that steady...but different strokes, I guess...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for responding

depends on how it affect your grades....

honestly, in interviews no one cares about jobs where i didnt do anything with patients. If you already have some volunteer experience, i dont think i would do it. Sounds like you need the free time more

it depends on whether you already have volunteer experience or see yourself doing some next semester or next year. The experience is important to some interviewers and not to others. Just be sure you have enough experience to talk about them during interviews.

ok sounds reasonable. I have *112 hours in the ER WITH patient contact.
**This summer I am going to be shadowing a doctor for around 70 hours.
**I work at a hospital's in house pharmacy so I deal with nurses and doctors all the time. I don't have anything directly to do with patients but I see them when I make rounds.
**I worked in the same hospitals cafeteria before so there I had contact with the patients. I had to talk to them, check there diets and blah blah.