Is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PublicHealth

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To those of you currently in medical school, do you think the blood, sweat, and tears of medical training is worth it? I mean physically, emotionally, and financially, is the training worth it?

I ask because I recently met a 2nd-year anesthesia resident who was fed up with medicine, and said that he wishes he had pursued a Pharm.D. instead. His comment: "As a Pharm.D., I would have been making $120,000/year and living a comfortable life. Instead, I'm raking in a massive $6/hour, and haven't slept in two days!"

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I think most doc's in training go through equal fits of glee and despair. My brother is a 2nd year anesthesiology resident and that is how he describes it. This guy you were talking to won't be complaining when he is done.

residents aren't the most objective people in the world.

Yeah, most residents I have talked with are pretty jaded especially when they are at morning sit down rounds post call. Ask the same person what s/he thinks in 4 years and you probably will get a much different response...I hope. I want to be anesthesiologist, but if it does suck then I guess I will always have my PharmD to fall back on.