Is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmBoy90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a tech at CVS (been with them for a little over a year), and worked as a tech at Walgreens for a year. I felt like pharmacy was a good option for me, but then I transferred to a school that offers a PA program, and figured I'd try to go for that instead because I felt like it was a little more hands-on and I sort of liked that.

I've recently had a change of heart, and decided that I do actually want to become a pharmacist. Even though the store I work at is insanely busy (doing about 800 a day), I do enjoy the pharmacy atmosphere for the most part. Would I call it my "dream"? Not really. But I definitely enjoy it, and can see myself in a pharmacy career until I have to retire.

Being that everyone seems to be so worried about the job outlook and everything, do you think it's worth putting myself through the schooling and stress? I'm sure it's been asked a million times on here, but I just want some honest opinions. I feel like if I were to go for Pharmacy instead of a PA, I kind of already have my foot in the door. I'm working on getting my tech certification and I already have a decent amount of experience. For the PA program, you need to shadow a PA for a certain amount of hours, and have "hands-on" health care experience, which I don't have yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Just think ask yourself this: As a pharmacy technician you've probably seen pharmacists taking loads of chit from PA's, but have you ever seen any PA taking any chit from a pharmacist? Hopefully, that will help your decide which side you want to join.

Besides, competition for pharmacy jobs is insanely intense now. I've known intern who sleeps with his/her mgr to secure intern hours now and a position in the future. Do you have what it takes to find a pharmacy mgr who wants to sleep with you?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently a tech at CVS (been with them for a little over a year), and worked as a tech at Walgreens for a year. I felt like pharmacy was a good option for me, but then I transferred to a school that offers a PA program, and figured I'd try to go for that instead because I felt like it was a little more hands-on and I sort of liked that.

I've recently had a change of heart, and decided that I do actually want to become a pharmacist. Even though the store I work at is insanely busy (doing about 800 a day), I do enjoy the pharmacy atmosphere for the most part. Would I call it my "dream"? Not really. But I definitely enjoy it, and can see myself in a pharmacy career until I have to retire.

Being that everyone seems to be so worried about the job outlook and everything, do you think it's worth putting myself through the schooling and stress? I'm sure it's been asked a million times on here, but I just want some honest opinions. I feel like if I were to go for Pharmacy instead of a PA, I kind of already have my foot in the door. I'm working on getting my tech certification and I already have a decent amount of experience. For the PA program, you need to shadow a PA for a certain amount of hours, and have "hands-on"
health care experience, which I don't have yet.

I am a pharmacist and i have considered going to PA school. They seem to have a brighter future than we do.

I would not recommend anyone get into pharmacy right now.

Just think ask yourself this: As a pharmacy technician you've probably seen pharmacists taking loads of chit from PA's, but have you ever seen any PA taking any chit from a pharmacist? Hopefully, that will help your decide which side you want to join.

If I have any problems with a PA, I usually just go straight to their attending and never have a problem again.

Damn, I didn't think it was that bad. Maybe I should just go to PA school. :(

Damn, I didn't think it was that bad. Maybe I should just go to PA school. :(

It's unfortunate, my friend, but you are not alone. Many of us have to make some tough career decisions at some point in life. When I was choosing a career, I originally dreamt of becoming the President of the most powerful country in the world. However, after learning that there was only one spot available and witnessing how the candidates had to ***** themselves in front of millions, I had to give up my dream and become a pharmacist instead.

Is it possible that by the time I graduate (6 years from now) that things will be better?

Is it possible that by the time I graduate (6 years from now) that things will be better?

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. :)

Problem for most people these days is relying on the best and are not prepared for the worst. Then, they come on SDN and whine and complain.

Notice how on the forums there is 1 good constructive advice for every 10 people whining and complaining.

If I could do it again, I would be a PA.

I thank God, honestly, everyday that I am in a hospital position and that I don't mind coming to work everyday, but I know 80% of my pharmacy brothers and sisters are on the retail wage slave boat. I pray for them and for them to find peace.

I
Being that everyone seems to be so worried about the job outlook and everything, do you think it's worth putting myself through the schooling and stress? I'm sure it's been asked a million times on here, but I just want some honest opinions. I feel like if I were to go for Pharmacy instead of a PA, I kind of already have my foot in the door. I'm working on getting my tech certification and I already have a decent amount of experience. For the PA program, you need to shadow a PA for a certain amount of hours, and have "hands-on" health care experience, which I don't have yet.

As a p3 i am telling you it is not worth it. that is my honest opinion. I derive my opinion from personal experience and talking to others. many pharmacists are being laid off now, yet i do not know if the same happening to PA. I used to have a rosier outlook until 3 pharmacists that I knew personally hit the unemployment line. Two pharmds and one bspharm. They come from both retail and hospital backgrounds.:eek:

Even here on sdn we read that new grads are not hitting 40 hr/week.

Imagine spending your 6 years in college, working so hard, paying so much tuition and being unemployed.

If that does not deter you from pharmacy, not much will.

No, it is not. the demand for rph labor is flat or falling while supply has risen sharply i believe the number of grads/year is almost double what it was in 2002. I predict in 6 years there will be not too many new store or hospital openings in the USA.

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. :)

Problem for most people these days is relying on the best and are not prepared for the worst. Then, they come on SDN and whine and complain.

Notice how on the forums there is 1 good constructive advice for every 10 people whining and complaining.

My constructive advice to the op is to bail now from pharmacy. They have their whole life ahead of them, life is precious, don't spend it on pharmacy its not worth it.:oops:

As a p3 i am telling you it is not worth it. that is my honest opinion. I derive my opinion from personal experience and talking to others. many pharmacists are being laid off now, yet i do not know if the same happening to PA. I used to have a rosier outlook until 3 pharmacists that I knew personally hit the unemployment line. Two pharmds and one bspharm. They come from both retail and hospital backgrounds.:eek:

Even here on sdn we read that new grads are not hitting 40 hr/week.

Imagine spending your 6 years in college, working so hard, paying so much tuition and being unemployed.

If that does not deter you from pharmacy, not much will.

No, it is not. the demand for rph labor is flat or falling while supply has risen sharply i believe the number of grads/year is almost double what it was in 2002. I predict in 6 years there will be not too many new store or hospital openings in the USA.

My constructive advice to the op is to bail now from pharmacy. They have their whole life ahead of them, life is precious, don't spend it on pharmacy its not worth it.:oops:

Just curious, but if you truly feel this way, what is stopping you from dropping out of Pharmacy school and taking up something else?

Just curious, but if you truly feel this way, what is stopping you from dropping out of Pharmacy school and taking up something else?

Excellent question!! I like the way you think.

I may or may not go to a wonderful school that is very inexpensive. I have only this section of class then rotations to go. I will graduate with very little debt. I plan to work, but have accepted the fact that I may only get part-time hours and a flat wage with very few raises in sight. I have thought of walking away many many many times, but i recall the standard wage and working conditions in pharmacy and realize that things could be much worse, and i am too close to the end.

if i were two years younger and a p1, you can bet your ... i would have walked away over xmas break--at that point the time and tuition lost is only half a year.

PM me if you want to hear more great stories about employment or pharmacy. I tell it how i see it, no rose colored glasses.:eek:

Excellent question!! I like the way you think.

I may or may not go to a wonderful school that is very inexpensive. I have only this section of class then rotations to go. I will graduate with very little debt. I plan to work, but have accepted the fact that I may only get part-time hours and a flat wage with very few raises in sight. I have thought of walking away many many many times, but i recall the standard wage and working conditions in pharmacy and realize that things could be much worse, and i am too close to the end.

if i were two years younger and a p1, you can bet your ... i would have walked away over xmas break--at that point the time and tuition lost is only half a year.

PM me if you want to hear more great stories about employment or pharmacy. I tell it how i see it, no rose colored glasses.:eek:

I see. Thanks for the response.