Is it worth retaking 2 courses to raise GPA from 3.7->3.9?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Corpsman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since the DO app route allows grade replacement, do you think it would be worth retaking two literature courses this fall to raise my GPA? I currently have a 3.8 science and a 3.7 cumulative. I finish my prereqs this summer and will be taking the MCAT in the spring. I could retake them online and my GPA for both would become 3.93+. I am already going to have a busy fall and wanted to get feedback if the bump in stats would be worth the headache.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on how busy you are but a 3.7 to a 3.93 is a pretty big jump. What else are you doing this fall? If you are already taking 16 credits then of course not. Perhaps you could take those lit courses in the spring...

Members don't see this ad :)
If it fits into your schedule without too much headache, I'd say it's probably worth it. .23 is a significant jump. If it's going to screw with your MCAT prep or mess with your grade in other classes, I would avoid it, however.

GPA is part of the total package a school is looking for...so no. Don't waste your time or money.

I think it's a bad idea to do prereqs online, if that's what you're saying.

You're already above the bar in GPA for DO or MD. Don't invest there. Invest in your MCAT score and your full app package.

Your good GPA gets devalued if your MCAT isn't also above average. Super important.

Best of luck to you.

It is not for prereqs...just two 200 level literature courses from about seven years ago that were Fs that are dragging down my cumulative. Since then it has been all As and two Bs for 100 plus credit hours.

I will be doing my senior capstone project, two condensed semesters of Arabic and two psych courses as well as traveling a lot during the fall for various training responsibilities in the Navy. I agree with what you are saying concerning the importance of the MCAT, hence I am lightening my load and only doing Arabic and A&P II in the spring while I study for the MCAT.

The difference between 3.7 and 3.9 in Osteopathic is almost none.

It is not for prereqs...just two 200 level literature courses from about seven years ago that were Fs that are dragging down my cumulative. Since then it has been all As and two Bs for 100 plus credit hours.
Have an answer for "what happened there?" and call it a day. You'll be too interesting a candidate for them to spend much time on it.

Have an answer for "what happened there?" and call it a day. You'll be too interesting a candidate for them to spend much time on it.
False. You fail 2 literature classes and it's obvious you can't handle med school. Not even Caribbean will accept you. Time to look into Nurse Practitioner. :p

Since the DO app route allows grade replacement, do you think it would be worth retaking two literature courses this fall to raise my GPA? I currently have a 3.8 science and a 3.7 cumulative. I finish my prereqs this summer and will be taking the MCAT in the spring. I could retake them online and my GPA for both would become 3.93+. I am already going to have a busy fall and wanted to get feedback if the bump in stats would be worth the headache.

I think your good. Don't worry about it and spend your time doing other things that you would like to do.

If you haven't completed the typical full-year 'literature' requirement, then this would be a great way of fulfilling a pre-med requirement, while improving your AACOMAS GPA. Otherwise, no, focus on your MCAT studies!