Is it wrong to accept money for help!?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessica525

I
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was accepted to USC, UCSD and UCSF...and I have been helping a few friends with the application process. A couple INSIST that I take money for helping them. I usually type up interview questions for them, interview them by phone & in person, and give them advice as to what I did during interviews. For example, I tell them what to expect, tell them how to practice essays, help them with supplementals, what I think got me into pharmacy school, etc. I only applied to 3 schools and was accepted to all...so alot of people are thinking I have "the secret" or something. At first I felt bad taking money, but it IS alot of work for me & I'm broke as hell. haha, I mean I am not getting $1000 bucks from these kids but I still feel bad? Is it wrong????!!!??? my friends swear they "couldnt have done it without me" So i feel better knowing that my help is working!

When I first starting applying to schools I called up this company in irvine I think...and they wanted to charge me $600 for a mock interview!!!! OMG. I don't even think their staff had been to a pharmacy interview ever. I think $50 is reasonable for all the stuff I do (mock interviews, typing up questions, counseling, etc). I am a college tutor so I have had some training. I just feel like its illegal or something!! lol. I'm probably going to hell for taking money :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Well don't ask them for money, but if they insist (especially in capital letters), then I guess you can take it.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I think that accepting money is completely appropriate. Well, in most cases it is. Like, I helped this kid all year with studying and mock pcat tests. And he gave a $200 dollar gift certificate and 75 bucks cash. And I took it because I put in about 4 hours every week for an entire year. So, really just look at how much you helped the person. If you're still not comfortable, Don't take it. But since you sound as broke as I am, you should probably take it.

I think they give you money to show that they appreciate the work/ time/ effort you put into helping them. It is not wrong or illegal!!! So take the money... you said you were broke!:)
On the other hand... I personally would feel awkward receiving money from friends... :oops:

What is that term in economics? Opportunity Cost? You could spend that time at a job and have money to show for it so yes, it is okay to take the money. Just don't rob them blind ;)

Absolutely not. You're now a 'professional, expert' contractor.

Thanks for the replies! Makes me feel alot better about my new job, lol. At first it was just close friends but now the word is spreading I guess ...so I need to make someting out of it because it is taking up alot of my time!

Maybe I should write a book...."Jessica's Key to California's Top Three" :cool:

haha now I need some insurance for when I get sued by those who get rejected! But so far that hasn't happened! (fingers crossed!!)

it sounds like you could think of their monetary compensation as a sort of gift for your assistance.
for what its worth, I was in a similar position as a college tutor. I often extended hours so I could work with students to ensure they understood the material. I was not paid by the college during these hours and at the end of the semester a bunch of them came together and got me all kinds of lil gifts. It was a great gesture and I would have felt bad if I refused 'tokens of appreciation.'