is loan payment tax deductable?

Started by allinocarts
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

A

allinocarts

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I'm choosing between two med schools whose debt differ in 100K+.


I heard loan payment is tax deductable, but I also heard that it depends on the money you make. For example, if one makes over 100K/year, then they only count $2000 for tax deductable, something like that.

Is anyone in the know? Thanks!!!
 
You can deduct up to $2500 in student loan interest as an above the line deduction -- meaning you don't need to itemize to benefit from the deduction -- if your income is less than the limit, which I believe is roughly $65K for a single person and $135K for married filing jointly. I think the amount you're allowed to deduct phases out at incomes above those limits. In other words, it's a pretty useless tax advantage for most doctors. If you're making SL payments as a resident, you can deduct a portion of the interest you pay ... at a time when your overall tax burden is already low. You'll save something like $600. Once you're an attending, you almost certainly won't qualify. Not to mention the fact that annual SL interest on, say, a $200K debt is most like $15K, so $2500 is a small fraction of the total interest paid. I wouldn't base any financial decisions on this deduction.

As a side note, I'm amazed how frequently this question comes up. Google, people. Google.