Is low performance on the MCAT a hopeless cause?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phil413ru

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused:

I am a pre-med student in her senior year. I took the MCAT in April and recieved a 24. I have a relatively high GPA (3.88-3.9 depending on tranfer GPA). However, I have been told that if there is a discrepency btw GPA and MCAT scores, then the schools go with the MCAT. I am a horrible standardized test taker! (Same mediocre scores on the ACT four years ago). I am very involved in Army ROTC, and in order to not be branced into Chemical (warfare etc) I have to get into medical school to really be considered for Army Ed. Delay (eventually Medical Corps). I had the opportunity to work in a 3-week Army Medical internship this summer. I know I want to be a doctor, but one of the officers said that many people don't get in the first year and with my MCAT scores it was better off that I do my time in Army (and whatever branch) then consider Med school. I fervently desire to be a military physician, but I don't want to continue to waste money for what I feel like many tell me is a hopeless cause. All other Pre-Meds at my school did really well on the MCAT, and aren't too encouraging. Neither is the faculty of pre-med committee. Thus, many don't think I can get in. Should I just give up my dream and take whatever branch the army gives me?:(

Members don't see this ad.

If you are applying to osteopathy schools you have damn good chances of getting accepted with that score and gpa. Infact your score is either avg or above avg for most osteopathy medical schools . So go for it. Dont listen to anybody. some people are there just to pull you back when you are just so close to succeed and fulfilling your dreams.
Goodluck:)

Members don't see this ad :)
If getting into medical school prior to doing your military payback is a must, then definitely consider the DO route. If you are set on entering military medicine, then you really should consider the DO route. The Surgeon General of the Army is a DO ...

However, in the meantime, you should try to analyze why you do so badly on standardized tests. If not addressed, it will be a problem that will dog you throughout the early part of your medical career, since a lot of tests are standardized, multiple choice.

Good luck!

- Tae

Don't listen to anyone who is discouraging your application. You have great stats. Just apply.
Good luck.

Hi! Presently I am active duty Air Force- a medic. Did you know that you don't necessarily have to pay back all four years to the Armed Forces before attending med school.

During your service, you may apply and be accepted to school. If Army works like the Air Force, then they will discharge you once you have a non-conditional acceptance to attend school under the HPSP if you agree to be a doc for the service for 4 years (intership and residency do not count towards payback). Plus you would accrue the ROTC time as well. No joke! The best person to get advice from would be the Army's point of contact for the HPSP... any physician recruiter should have that number.

Definitely apply! You have an impressive background and your numbers are directly in line with averages from osteopathic medical schools.

For more information on osteopathic medicine in the military, I would contact Dr. Ruble, whose profile you can find here:

http://www.aacom.org/home-students/index.html

You'll have to click on "D.O.s choose how they impact the world" and then scroll down to find Dr. Ruble's profile.

Just like the lotto...you can't win if you don't play.

Send out the apps. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Dont listen to the people who say you cant get it. Your gpa is way above average for those applying to DO schools and your MCAT is of the average of those getting into DO schools.... apply apply apply....those people really dont know what they are talking about.

Go for it!! You'll never know unless you try!

Good luck!

Hi there.

Your stats are pretty close to mine. I had a decent gpa but a mediocre MCAT. Everywhere I turned it seemed I got the message my MCAT wasn't good enough. I almost didn't apply last year, but I did at the last minute. I interviewed very late in the application cycle (nearly April), and at that time, there were 60 people on the waitlist, 40 people who interviewed the week I did, and 12 more interviews to go FOR ONLY A DOZEN SEATS. I thought there was no way.

Four days later I received a Fed Ex letter saying I was in. I wasn't even waitlisted.

I'm not telling you these things to brag--just want you to know that YES, IT IS POSSIBLE!!! True, my class' average for the MCAT is higher than mine, but you know what? I'm here now, so the MCAT doesn't matter any more.

GO FOR IT!

Good luck!

Do not let anyone discourage you. I think you may have read my stats from the other post I wrote this week. I had a 23 Q MCAT (the 6 PS is what killed it). I am going to AZCOM for my first interview on 9/27, and TUCOM 11/4. I can do it, and so can you!!!!!!!!!! Keep your head up and good luck!!!!!!

:eek:

I would like to thank all of you! You are all a blessing. I think I know in my heart that everything that all of you say is true. It is just frustrating when everywhere I turn people keep questioning my motive. The chair of my pre-med committee in particular would always stress, that "if your MCAT scores are not competitive, then it is not even worth applying." The Professor of Military Science(PMS) at my school is more supportive, and he doesn't even know the rules and application process for medical school.
I will keep hoping. It would be nice to have at least interview before beginning of December when Branches are assigned. (This will clue the Army on my intent to apply). I have two letters of rec from physicians; one civilian DO and one military MD. Hopefully the interview will come rolling in. ---Then I can surprise my committee!

Thanks again!
~Melinda

phil-- you'll learn that pre-med committee's and advisors are all usually really stupid:) Some out there may be great but all the ones i've talked to had NO IDEA what they were saying. My pre-med advisor even had the audacity to tell me "if only you were a woman or urm-- you'd be in anywhere!" If your heart is in it-- go for it with all you got!!

Originally posted by jhug
phil-- you'll learn that pre-med committee's and advisors are all usually really stupid:) Some out there may be great but all the ones i've talked to had NO IDEA what they were saying. My pre-med advisor even had the audacity to tell me "if only you were a woman or urm-- you'd be in anywhere!" If your heart is in it-- go for it with all you got!!

Amen to that! :clap:

The pre-med committee at my school was the most discouraging set of people I have ever seen. If we got anything below a 30 on the MCAT or had a GPA under 3.6 or so we were screwed, according to them. Their negativity just made me want to work even harder to get accepted to school.

As all the others have said, definitely go for it! Your GPA is awesome and your MCAT is about average for DO schools.

Good luck to you! :D