Is mcat really that important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckylee3

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
schools say it's just a small part of the application yet if you have a low score, you are basically doomed as an applicant i feel like. u could have 3.9 gpa and really good ec yet if you have 27 mcat, it's so hard to get in

Members don't see this ad.

what schools say it's a small part of the application?

it's true that there are many other facets to an application, and in some instances you can "make up" for a low MCAT, but MCAT and GPA are usually the first two things that are looked at in an applicant. it's a pretty important part of the app.

I feel like schools screen these numbers first, as they're easier to look at (meaning, they won't bother reading the rest of your app if your numbers suck), so I say they're pretty important. MCAT is kind of the only "constant" comparison tool on an application.

Members don't see this ad :)
What US MD school says MCAT isn't important? Most schools seem to either imply or explicitly state that the MCAT is one of the most important selection criteria. I work at a med school that focuses much more on softer qualities and demphasizes stats much more than most schools, and even the faculty there told me when I was studying for the MCAT that doing well on the MCAT should take priority over anything else I was doing to try to prepare for med school.

The catch though is that a low score can hurt you a lot more than a good score can help you. As long as your score is competitive for the schools you're applying to, just about everything else in your application become more important. If your score isn't competitive though, then you're not competitive without an amazing app to compensate for the low score.

What US MD school says MCAT isn't important? Most schools seem to either imply or explicitly state that the MCAT is one of the most important selection criteria. I work at a med school that focuses much more on softer qualities and demphasizes stats much more than most schools, and even the faculty there told me when I was studying for the MCAT that doing well on the MCAT should take priority over anything else I was doing to try to prepare for med school.

The catch though is that a low score can hurt you a lot more than a good score can help you. As long as your score is competitive for the schools you're applying to, just about everything else in your application become more important. If your score isn't competitive though, then you're not competitive without an amazing app to compensate for the low score.

I can only think of Mt. Sinai and only because its FlexMED thing (which is 50% of the incoming class next year) doesn't require it. Other than that though I would say whoever told OP it isn't important was lying or didn't know any better.

MCAT is the only way to compare apples to apples.

GPA can vary depending on the rigor of your university. Everything else is also subjective.

mcat score and gpa are relevant at the time you are being considered for interview.
interview score and letters of recommendation are relevant when you are being considered for selection.

mcat score and gpa are relevant at the time you are being considered for interview.
interview score and letters of recommendation are relevant when you are being considered for selection.

That's a blanket statement and is most likely not true at many places.