Is medicine really a purposeful, meaningful career? Or does it all fade away one day?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twixmoment

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious about perspectives of this from med students / attendings. Is medicine really the promise towards achieving some sort of purpose / meaning in one's career? Or does it all fade away one day and just become any other job? Even with all the BS paperwork and dealing with the reality of a failing American medical system, do doctors generally at least find purpose and meaning in what they do? Is being a healer and someone who can solve problems to sustain life and joy in life as awesome as it sounds? Is all the suffering and BS that doctors go through worth it?

As a non-trad from a pretty successful career making very good money, it's been horribly depressing. I don't work that many hours and spend tons of money on travel, hobbies, etc but something just can't seem to fill the existential void. Is life just about spending money to cope with the reality that nothing matters and work is soul-sucking? This and due to a lot of personal intense circumstances, I've been drawn to medicine - primarily based on a fervent search for some sort of purpose and meaning in life, but am I misguided here? I'd like to think that the opportunity to act as a healer, bring joy to those who seem like they lost it, etc would at least be some food for the soul. I'm also not naive - the reality of healthcare is not all roses. Maybe everything is just about making as much money as possible while working as little as possible. But I seem to have that now, and I am miserable. Work to live or live to work?

Just wanted to get the forums thoughts on this. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Or does it all fade away one day and just become any other job?
Yes. That's just how the cookie crumbles. Everything will become boring and redundant eventually. Most doctors prefer to sleep in and spend time with family just like everyone else. This is why shadowing is so important imo, to help determine if the real day to day is something you can/want to do. Real life is not like TV or most people's imaginations.

Is being a healer and someone who can solve problems to sustain life and joy in life as awesome as it sounds?
Probably not.

Is all the suffering and BS that doctors go through worth it?
Yes. Every job in this income bracket is going to have some sort of competitive and draining selection process. I don't think medicine's process is really that bad in context. A lot of people that suggest otherwise significantly underestimate what it takes to be FAANG employee, investment banker, or corporate lawyer (or other jobs in the same income bracket).

but something just can't seem to fill the existential void. Is life just about spending money to cope with the reality that nothing matters and work is soul-sucking? This and due to a lot of personal intense circumstances, I've been drawn to medicine - primarily based on a fervent search for some sort of purpose and meaning in life, but am I misguided here? I'd like to think that the opportunity to act as a healer, bring joy to those who seem like they lost it, etc would at least be some food for the soul.
I agree with GynGyn. I don't think you're gonna find what you're looking for in medicine.

I recommend charity work,

Become a regular volunteer at an orphanage, sign up for one of those nonprofits that distribute food to underdeveloped or war-torn countries. That sort of thing.

I know some TV shows may give the wrong impression, but medicine is much less "healthcare hero", and much more cog in the machine with a prescription pad.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I can't let those two posts above go unchallenged. I believe there are a lot of people who would never be happy in medicine. I also believe there are a lot of people who would never be happy in any job. There are also people who are never going to be happy.

But there are a lot of people in medicine who enjoy their work. It sounds like you wouldn't be in it for the money, which is wise, because that would be dumb. It's really hard work, and it's really really hard work just to get the privilege to work hard... Also, all the administrative, regulatory crap that accompanies this job are ridiculous.

But there are benefits that are really great. Read my post from this thread from a few years ago.

In fact, read the entire thread; the OP was not happy that (s)he went into medicine.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I graduated from med school in 2015, so I've been a doctor for 8 years, and I'm finally finishing training this month! (After med school, I did a 3 year residency + 2 years as an attending + 3 year fellowship.) At the end of the day, being a doctor is a job, and has all the issues that any job entails. That said, I really really like it! It's an incredible privilege and super rewarding to work with patients in some of the most vulnerable moments of their lives and to work together as a part of a healthcare team to extend our patients' lives and improve their quality of life, or, when that is not possible, to help patients and their families through the end of life in a manner consistent with their values and wishes.

In my previous career, I was a FAANG software engineer and product manager. Like you, in my early-mid 20s, I felt something of an "existential void" from a career standpoint. I haven't felt that way in many years, though, as I find medicine to be inherently rewarding - I don't have to question whether the work I do matters or is worthwhile, because the answer is so evident. And I really like working with patients.

There's no doubt I would be in a financially stronger position had I stayed at FAANG, but money isn't everything, and I would do it all again in a heartbeat because I personally find medicine to be really fun and incredibly rewarding.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Curious about perspectives of this from med students / attendings. Is medicine really the promise towards achieving some sort of purpose / meaning in one's career? Or does it all fade away one day and just become any other job? Even with all the BS paperwork and dealing with the reality of a failing American medical system, do doctors generally at least find purpose and meaning in what they do? Is being a healer and someone who can solve problems to sustain life and joy in life as awesome as it sounds? Is all the suffering and BS that doctors go through worth it?

As a non-trad from a pretty successful career making very good money, it's been horribly depressing. I don't work that many hours and spend tons of money on travel, hobbies, etc but something just can't seem to fill the existential void. Is life just about spending money to cope with the reality that nothing matters and work is soul-sucking? This and due to a lot of personal intense circumstances, I've been drawn to medicine - primarily based on a fervent search for some sort of purpose and meaning in life, but am I misguided here? I'd like to think that the opportunity to act as a healer, bring joy to those who seem like they lost it, etc would at least be some food for the soul. I'm also not naive - the reality of healthcare is not all roses. Maybe everything is just about making as much money as possible while working as little as possible. But I seem to have that now, and I am miserable. Work to live or live to work?

Just wanted to get the forums thoughts on this. Thanks.
Have you considered volunteering? As an example, I see my existential purpose in wildlife conservation. I recently signed up to volunteer at Wild Animal Clinic, where local wildlife gets treated and then released, and it has been immensely gratifying working with animals. I also support the Clinic financially, as they primarily rely on donations. Looking forward to expand my efforts to international volunteer opportunities, advocacy work etc. You may find your own calling serving others, whatever that might be. Just need to shift the focus away from yourself and look around. Becoming a doctor is not the only way to fill the existential void your are experiencing.

• Love
Agree there are many ways to fill an existential void.

First and foremost is friends/family. Relationships with others has time and again been proven have the biggest correlation with happiness (along with making enough to not be in poverty).

I've met a small minority of people though for whom their work/legacy is more critical to their happiness than their friends/families. The folks that will work 80hrs a week and are fine with not really seeing their kids grow up.

So unless you're part of that small minority of folks where your job/calling is really the foundation to your happiness, go out there and find friends, a wife/husband, have some kids, and find religion (any will do) on the way. I guarantee you more happiness than a change in career.

With all that said, plenty of physicians see what they do as a calling, and plenty see it as a job. For some the purpose/meaning fades away. For others is burns brighter with each year. And for many it'll ebb and flow.

Just like all other jobs/callings.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I've been a suicide hotline operator for years. I also work in peer support groups with folks who are imminent risk, well above my paygrade / skillset, but they have nobody else or aren't willing to talk to anyone else. There are some days I am absolutely crucified and go into weeks of a down period, and days I know that I can call myself a hero (not that I would).

It does get routine, sometimes I get bored / impatient with people who are going through unimaginable horror. I've heard it all before. But I keep doing it because it needs to be done, and I'm capable of doing it. And yes, on days when I'm feeling bad about myself, when I wonder what is the point of anything, I can look to the conversations I've had and the names of people who are still around and that keeps me going.

Some send me cards or messages on the anniversary of their "death day" and it really puts things into perspective. I don't think of myself as a good person but I know that I'm doing some good through all of this, and that other people are benefiting.

I think of the opportunity that I could have as a physician that would catalyze that potential, and it compels me to continue on this crucible of a path, 11 years later.

I can't give you an answer to your own philosophical questions--but I think that having a job that you give a **** about makes all the difference, and medicine can give you many, many reasons to give a ****.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
It's a just a job most of the time. About 10%-20% of the time, we get to use our brains and solve problems in ways most people can't/don't and that's very rewarding. But most of the time, it's a job with crazy paperwork and intense customer service.

I agree with the posters above. If you look at the work/stress/competition:compensation ratio, averaged over your young adult and middle age years, it's probably very similar to Big Law or FAANG.

People use the word "doctor" as if every doctor does the same thing. I see doctors who work in telehealth and essentially all day they just approve propecia prescriptions for male pattern baldness. How can you compare that to the day to day life of a neurosurgeon? All i'm saying is it depends.. imo

Reactions: 1 user
It's best to find YOUR meaning for life BEFORE you start med school.

You definitely won't find it in med school, you'll be too busy learning medicine, and those that try become burnt out docs.

Goro - I hate to break this to you, but most of us love aspects of the physician gig but not the totality of it.

It's a job. It has great responsibility and you help (some) people, but many jobs fit this description.
If a non trad or other person with great opportunity cost is looking for more from this path, well, buyer beware.

It's important not to invest too much of your soul into the job, because admins and the gig itself will always want more.

TL;DR: docs aren't mother Teresa (that's the naive view I had before med school), but you can still do a lot of good for a lot of people.

In one sense, a lot of physicians are employed nowadays, and I've heard a lot of docs talk about how we should view medicine as a job. I agree with this in the sense that a lot of the MBAs will ask doctors to see too many patients in a day or go without PPE because "You should sacrifice and be a healthcare hero!" Yeah, that's dumb.

However, physicians hold people's lives in their hands. You can't view it as "just a job" in the sense that flipping burgers at McDonald's is. Yes, there is something special about being a physician, and we can't just treat it like working at a fast food restaurant. This is also why medicine is so stressful- as a doctor, you can't just "do your best and let it go." If you goof, your patient might die.

My personal take- I'm from an underserved rural background. People there don't have health insurance, don't believe in vaccines, etc. People like me don't get into medical school, and if I don't finish residency and go back home, nobody else is going to move to po-dunk farming village USA and take care of those people. So for me it's a mission. You can do a LOT of good for the world as a doctor. But you also can as a school teacher or a janitor. I can't tell you what path you should take or what your reason is, that you have to figure out for yourself. I chose medicine because I want to serve my community AND I love biology/physiology AND I wanted a career that would provide a living/health insurance.

Reactions: 4 users
Nontrad, graduated med school 2014.

I love what I do. I find it incredibly amazingly rewarding. I get paid a great amount of money to go to work and have fun. I also have days where I am acutely aware that I deserve the large amount of money that I make.

I am aware that I am in a unique situation - but I am constantly grateful that I get to do what I do everyday. It is a privilege. Would not do anything else.

@Hollow Knight : you are a lot different from the other Knight who used to inhabit this forum, before being kicked out.

(that's a compliment, btw)
LOL

Feel free to call me out though if you see me getting off the rails. I am several clinical shifts and several board exams away from being an attending.

Believe me, reading your other posts, you are sincere, and very willing to help. An infamous former member was just the opposite before he was tossed from the forum. His forum name was similar to yours, and when I saw your name, I thought he was back! Fortunately not. Good luck in your future!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Curious about perspectives of this from med students / attendings. Is medicine really the promise towards achieving some sort of purpose / meaning in one's career? Or does it all fade away one day and just become any other job?
Both.

When physicians tell you what medicine is they are really telling you what medicine is to them. With 800,000+ practicing docs in this country you can find any perspective you look for.

I personally love it and have a hard time seeing myself doing anything else. It's a front row seat to the human condition.

• Love
Even when it becomes “just a job” you can still go to work every day knowing that you are helping people (and being well compensated for doing so).

Clinician here with a few yrs of attending experience: most of my friends in medicine are incredibly burned out. I will say that most doctors I know will tell you that medicine itself is very interesting but the practice of medicine leaves much to be desired. At the end of the day we just follow what insurance companies dictate and have to satisfy patient satisfaction metrics, and tolerate many yrs of training with low pay for 3-7 yrs.

I come from a more objective, mathematical back ground and if you account for the opportunity cost of studying medicine with yrs of no income, 300-400k of debt, and low paid residency yrs, the actual annual attending income gets reduced by around 50k gross.

I come from a more humble family background so the average physician income of 250-400k is a lot to me, even with the debt and nonexistent/low pay for yrs.

I would recommend doing medicine if you want a very stable, solidly paid (but not amazing per hour) profession which enjoys some prestige. If you already have a high paid tech job or profession then I'd strongly recommend not doing it unless you can get ortho, derm, or one of those specialties. You can help a lot of people in non-physician careers.

Feel free to DM me with any questions.

I've stated this before but will repeat.

When you finish your fellowship and start as a community-oriented physician, you have completed about 70% of the journey.

The last step - beyond clinical competence to true mastery and confidence - is the most difficult. Thankfully, most are able to make the leap.

So, when most of us finish off our loans, and become masterful and confident, the journey is more or less over.

But this final destination involves almost by definition, the gig becoming "a job." Think about it - do you want life to be a roller coaster all the time as you head to middle age? Of course not. Yet this is the opposite of what many seek from this path when starting late.

All of the above - the reasons why I would not recommend someone start medical school if mid career in another reasonable field.

Last edited: