Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello SDN community,
As would the majority of us here, I aspire to attend dental school and work in the field of dentistry. Unfortunately, and despite my best efforts (it's not like I've blown off studying), my GPA really took a hit this year. At the beginning of the spring semester I met with my university's pre-health professional advisor and she told me that the spring semester was my "make it or break it" semester -- either I get all A's and can continue as a pre-dent or else I should figure out another career path. Needless to say, I did not get all A's and I am seeking your advice as to whether or not I should continue to pursue my dream (vs. follow my advisor's suggestion and look into other career opportunities). I am a rising junior at a relatively prestigious university and I am majoring in Cognitive & Behavioral Neuroscience and minoring in Chinese. In addition to completing my undergraduate studies, I am planning on taking a gap year after I graduate to participate in research. Any insight on my chances of dental school admission would be much appreciated! My friends have told me to follow my dreams and do whatever it takes to accomplish them, but I am trying to balance the thought of doing everything possible to get into dental school with the reality of time and expenses. Thanks in advance for your help!
Cumulative GPA: 3.54
Science GPA: 3.096
BCP GPA: 3.16
Extra curricular activities: EMS (EMT-B, Secretary), Freshmen Leadership Learning Community (student facilitator), Academic Reform Committee (general member), Pre-Dental Student Association (general member) and Leadership Academy
Awards and Accomplishments: Dean's List (fall 2014, spring 2015), EMS Member of the Year 2015-2016, assistant triage officer for NCAA Final Four game (mass patient care experience), and triage officer for NCAA Championship game (mass patient care experience, and leadership experience)
As would the majority of us here, I aspire to attend dental school and work in the field of dentistry. Unfortunately, and despite my best efforts (it's not like I've blown off studying), my GPA really took a hit this year. At the beginning of the spring semester I met with my university's pre-health professional advisor and she told me that the spring semester was my "make it or break it" semester -- either I get all A's and can continue as a pre-dent or else I should figure out another career path. Needless to say, I did not get all A's and I am seeking your advice as to whether or not I should continue to pursue my dream (vs. follow my advisor's suggestion and look into other career opportunities). I am a rising junior at a relatively prestigious university and I am majoring in Cognitive & Behavioral Neuroscience and minoring in Chinese. In addition to completing my undergraduate studies, I am planning on taking a gap year after I graduate to participate in research. Any insight on my chances of dental school admission would be much appreciated! My friends have told me to follow my dreams and do whatever it takes to accomplish them, but I am trying to balance the thought of doing everything possible to get into dental school with the reality of time and expenses. Thanks in advance for your help!
Cumulative GPA: 3.54
Science GPA: 3.096
BCP GPA: 3.16
Extra curricular activities: EMS (EMT-B, Secretary), Freshmen Leadership Learning Community (student facilitator), Academic Reform Committee (general member), Pre-Dental Student Association (general member) and Leadership Academy
Awards and Accomplishments: Dean's List (fall 2014, spring 2015), EMS Member of the Year 2015-2016, assistant triage officer for NCAA Final Four game (mass patient care experience), and triage officer for NCAA Championship game (mass patient care experience, and leadership experience)