Is my friend done for.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also if (s)he is really concerned, you could encourage him/her to make a post in Confidential Consult where your post won't be quoted and you can get free, anonymous advice

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Your friend's chances are not good to be honest. That's 2 bad choices on record. Either way, try to get that pot charge to be dismissed or diminished. If he gets his **** together, it's not late...he can still become a doctor. Don't let anyone lie to you, there are plenty of drugies in medschool...(half of my class does cocaine regularly). They're just really good at hiding it during application and interview.
Cant wait until they are my doctor. Oh wait...they can be my Mother in Law's doctor! Never mind.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Again, thanks for the input from everyone else. He and I entirely understand why adcoms have to think this way when looking at applicants. My last comment was just a bit of a rant since, from the papers I've read, the laws don't quite match the science (but hey, isnt that the case most of the time haha).

Cant wait until they are my doctor. Oh wait...they can be my Mother in Law's doctor! Never mind.
This one is a little judgemental. I have a family friend who is a Program director and one of the most respected physicians in her field. Privately, she indulges in and raves about hallucinogens among other things, you can do both.

This one is a little judgemental. I have a family friend who is a Program director and one of the most respected physicians in her field. Privately, she indulges in and raves about hallucinogens among other things, you can do both.
I appreciate your polite deference and kind way you said that. Seriously, not being sarcastic. Actually, it's very judgmental, and I don't apologize for it. There are functional alcoholics, but I don't want them as my doctor or surgeon. I believe I can extend that to physicians who do hallucinogens. Just my opinion, judgmental as it is. They are taking great risks with their career, and maybe their patients health. Just because you get away with something, doesn't mean you did the right thing. You just got away with it. I prefer to strive to do the right thing in case I'm ever called to explain my actions or am the subject of a random drug test. This is in almost every physician contract I have ever read.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I appreciate your polite deference and kind way you said that. Seriously, not being sarcastic. Actually, it's very judgmental, and I don't apologize for it. There are functional alcoholics, but I don't want them as my doctor or surgeon. I believe I can extend that to physicians who do hallucinogens. Just my opinion, judgmental as it is. They are taking great risks with their career, and maybe their patients health. Just because you get away with something, doesn't mean you did the right thing. You just got away with it. I prefer to strive to do the right thing in case I'm ever called to explain my actions or am the subject of a random drug test. This is in almost every physician contract I have ever read.

I’ll come to the defense of hallucinogenics. The field of psychiatry would benefit greatly from their carefully regulated use.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I’ll come to the defense of hallucinogenics. The field of psychiatry would benefit greatly from their carefully regulated use.
This is new and fascinating to me. Are you able to elaborate?
I actually looked into this and its interesting. I think this was looked into years ago, but we'll see what the studies suggest.

Last edited:
I can! I can find some direct links, but they are seeing very impressive results using all sorts of hallucinogens for all sorts of conditions. the front runner is psilocybin because of its safety profile. Basically, in chronically depressed patients, terminally ill patients dealing with depression, extremely anxious patients, pretty much you name it, they are seeing up to 80% of study participants report significant improvements in psychiatric symptoms- for months following a single dose-there was a cool 60 minutes section about this too.

Are you into podcasts? I’m not up on the literature, but an MD I trust deeply had a whole podcast dedicated to the topic. I thought it was likely to be a bunch of woo woo until I actually gave that episode a shot.

Last edited:
Super fair and I get where you are coming from. I don't blame you for wanting to be as risk averse as possible when it comes to your health and job. I'm just saying that, with more research obviously, drug policies should be amended. There is a stigma against many drugs in this country and while some are totally legitimate, others have no solid clinical foundation and are probably a result of political agendas in the 50s-80s during the drug wars.

Are you into podcasts? I’m not up on the literature, but an MD I trust deeply had a whole podcast dedicated to the topic. I thought it was likely to be a bunch of woo woo until I actually gave that episode a shot.
I read a couple of NIH articles from May 2020. Seems it might help a very difficult group of patients. Lots more data needed IMO.

I read a couple of NIH articles from May 2020. Seems it might help a very difficult group of patients. Lots more data needed IMO.

The demands of EBM undoubtedly slow our progress of understanding and adoption of novel therapies. This isn’t an argument against it (we owe it to our patients that we intervene safely), but it’s frustrating none the less.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's been pubilshed so far is a bunch of case studies. I highly doubt that hallucinogens will cut the mustard when it comes to double-blind clinical trials phase IV.

Would be open to reading evidence to the contrary, however

I can! I can find some direct links, but they are seeing very impressive results using all sorts of hallucinogens for all sorts of conditions. the front runner is psilocybin because of its safety profile. Basically, in chronically depressed patients, terminally ill patients dealing with depression, extremely anxious patients, pretty much you name it, they are seeing up to 80% of study participants report significant improvements in psychiatric symptoms- for months following a single dose-there was a cool 60 minutes section about this too.
Are they also testing them for complex medical decision making while on hallucinogens?

Reactions: 2 users
sb247 said:
Are they also testing them for complex medical decision making while on hallucinogens?
Good question.

It will likely catch up with them one day with some combination of divorce, legal consequences, or rehab. If they are lucky they will do the third one before the first two, but regardless I hope they eventually fix what is missing in themselves.
Or if they overdo it, they might end up on my unit. You'd be shocked how common stimulant-induced psychosis is

Mad Jack said:
Or if they overdo it, they might end up on my unit. You'd be shocked how common stimulant-induced psychosis is
And stimulant abuse is common among those w/psychiatric disorders--sometimes it becomes a chicken vs. egg thing

Lol. Idk about y'all but I feel like "my friend" is used too often in these IA/arrest/ticket posts. I feel like the OP is too scared to admit it was him/her every time I read these. Can't help but to wonder...I could be wrong though.

This phrase alone would keep you out of med school.
If alcohol had come from mexico and south america instead of marijuana, and marijuana manufactured in the states for hundreds of years, you'd be seeing the same restrictions, if not worse on alcohol. While no drug is completely benign, you cannot argue that the stigma and laws around marijuana are founded in science.

If alcohol had come from mexico and south america instead of marijuana, and marijuana manufactured in the states for hundreds of years, you'd be seeing the same restrictions, if not worse on alcohol. While no drug is completely benign, you cannot argue that the stigma and laws around marijuana are founded in science.

Yeah, there has never been equivalent political pressure to ban alcohol. Oh, except that whole prohibition movement leading to the time we amended the Constitution to ban it.

• Love