You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Is my friend done for.
Started by Edx102$
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted1005514
What happened to good ole fashioned caffeine?
Coffee is as much stimulant as I need...any more than that and I would be climbing the walls, lol.
Cant wait until they are my doctor. Oh wait...they can be my Mother in Law's doctor! Never mind.Your friend's chances are not good to be honest. That's 2 bad choices on record. Either way, try to get that pot charge to be dismissed or diminished. If he gets his **** together, it's not late...he can still become a doctor. Don't let anyone lie to you, there are plenty of drugies in medschool...(half of my class does cocaine regularly). They're just really good at hiding it during application and interview.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Again, thanks for the input from everyone else. He and I entirely understand why adcoms have to think this way when looking at applicants. My last comment was just a bit of a rant since, from the papers I've read, the laws don't quite match the science (but hey, isnt that the case most of the time haha).
This one is a little judgemental. I have a family friend who is a Program director and one of the most respected physicians in her field. Privately, she indulges in and raves about hallucinogens among other things, you can do both.Cant wait until they are my doctor. Oh wait...they can be my Mother in Law's doctor! Never mind.
I appreciate your polite deference and kind way you said that. Seriously, not being sarcastic. Actually, it's very judgmental, and I don't apologize for it. There are functional alcoholics, but I don't want them as my doctor or surgeon. I believe I can extend that to physicians who do hallucinogens. Just my opinion, judgmental as it is. They are taking great risks with their career, and maybe their patients health. Just because you get away with something, doesn't mean you did the right thing. You just got away with it. I prefer to strive to do the right thing in case I'm ever called to explain my actions or am the subject of a random drug test. This is in almost every physician contract I have ever read.This one is a little judgemental. I have a family friend who is a Program director and one of the most respected physicians in her field. Privately, she indulges in and raves about hallucinogens among other things, you can do both.
I appreciate your polite deference and kind way you said that. Seriously, not being sarcastic. Actually, it's very judgmental, and I don't apologize for it. There are functional alcoholics, but I don't want them as my doctor or surgeon. I believe I can extend that to physicians who do hallucinogens. Just my opinion, judgmental as it is. They are taking great risks with their career, and maybe their patients health. Just because you get away with something, doesn't mean you did the right thing. You just got away with it. I prefer to strive to do the right thing in case I'm ever called to explain my actions or am the subject of a random drug test. This is in almost every physician contract I have ever read.
I’ll come to the defense of hallucinogenics. The field of psychiatry would benefit greatly from their carefully regulated use.
This is new and fascinating to me. Are you able to elaborate?I’ll come to the defense of hallucinogenics. The field of psychiatry would benefit greatly from their carefully regulated use.
I actually looked into this and its interesting. I think this was looked into years ago, but we'll see what the studies suggest.
Last edited:
I can! I can find some direct links, but they are seeing very impressive results using all sorts of hallucinogens for all sorts of conditions. the front runner is psilocybin because of its safety profile. Basically, in chronically depressed patients, terminally ill patients dealing with depression, extremely anxious patients, pretty much you name it, they are seeing up to 80% of study participants report significant improvements in psychiatric symptoms- for months following a single dose-there was a cool 60 minutes section about this too.This is new and fascinating to me. Are you able to elaborate?
This is new and fascinating to me. Are you able to elaborate?
Are you into podcasts? I’m not up on the literature, but an MD I trust deeply had a whole podcast dedicated to the topic. I thought it was likely to be a bunch of woo woo until I actually gave that episode a shot.
Last edited:
Super fair and I get where you are coming from. I don't blame you for wanting to be as risk averse as possible when it comes to your health and job. I'm just saying that, with more research obviously, drug policies should be amended. There is a stigma against many drugs in this country and while some are totally legitimate, others have no solid clinical foundation and are probably a result of political agendas in the 50s-80s during the drug wars.I appreciate your polite deference and kind way you said that. Seriously, not being sarcastic. Actually, it's very judgmental, and I don't apologize for it. There are functional alcoholics, but I don't want them as my doctor or surgeon. I believe I can extend that to physicians who do hallucinogens. Just my opinion, judgmental as it is. They are taking great risks with their career, and maybe their patients health. Just because you get away with something, doesn't mean you did the right thing. You just got away with it. I prefer to strive to do the right thing in case I'm ever called to explain my actions or am the subject of a random drug test. This is in almost every physician contract I have ever read.
I read a couple of NIH articles from May 2020. Seems it might help a very difficult group of patients. Lots more data needed IMO.Are you into podcasts? I’m not up on the literature, but an MD I trust deeply had a whole podcast dedicated to the topic. I thought it was likely to be a bunch of woo woo until I actually gave that episode a shot.
I read a couple of NIH articles from May 2020. Seems it might help a very difficult group of patients. Lots more data needed IMO.
The demands of EBM undoubtedly slow our progress of understanding and adoption of novel therapies. This isn’t an argument against it (we owe it to our patients that we intervene safely), but it’s frustrating none the less.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted480308
Are they also testing them for complex medical decision making while on hallucinogens?I can! I can find some direct links, but they are seeing very impressive results using all sorts of hallucinogens for all sorts of conditions. the front runner is psilocybin because of its safety profile. Basically, in chronically depressed patients, terminally ill patients dealing with depression, extremely anxious patients, pretty much you name it, they are seeing up to 80% of study participants report significant improvements in psychiatric symptoms- for months following a single dose-there was a cool 60 minutes section about this too.
Good question.sb247 said:Are they also testing them for complex medical decision making while on hallucinogens?
Or if they overdo it, they might end up on my unit. You'd be shocked how common stimulant-induced psychosis isIt will likely catch up with them one day with some combination of divorce, legal consequences, or rehab. If they are lucky they will do the third one before the first two, but regardless I hope they eventually fix what is missing in themselves.
And stimulant abuse is common among those w/psychiatric disorders--sometimes it becomes a chicken vs. egg thingMad Jack said:Or if they overdo it, they might end up on my unit. You'd be shocked how common stimulant-induced psychosis is
some benign, natural, drug
This phrase alone would keep you out of med school.
If alcohol had come from mexico and south america instead of marijuana, and marijuana manufactured in the states for hundreds of years, you'd be seeing the same restrictions, if not worse on alcohol. While no drug is completely benign, you cannot argue that the stigma and laws around marijuana are founded in science.This phrase alone would keep you out of med school.
If alcohol had come from mexico and south america instead of marijuana, and marijuana manufactured in the states for hundreds of years, you'd be seeing the same restrictions, if not worse on alcohol. While no drug is completely benign, you cannot argue that the stigma and laws around marijuana are founded in science.
Yeah, there has never been equivalent political pressure to ban alcohol. Oh, except that whole prohibition movement leading to the time we amended the Constitution to ban it.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 589
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 617