Is my list realistic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroticButCute

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm an applicant for the 2018-2019 cycle, and since I finally got my MCAT score yesterday and the app opens today, I'm looking for some guidance/ confirmation/ advice/ etc. about the list of schools I'm applying to. Thanks!
About me: Junior, VA Resident, 510 MCAT, ~3.6 overall GPA with an upward trend.
Work: Worked two jobs for the last 3 years as a pharmacy tech + a lab assistant at my university
Other: ~80 hours of shadowing (neuro, neuromuscular, and cardio), ~120 hours of clinical volunteering, ~100 hours nonclinical volunteering, will be participating in a state school SAEP program this summer, have some research experience (~2 months) but have a large (6 month+) research project I'm doing during my senior year for my major thesis. First Gen college student, from a rural area and possibly interested in rural med.

VCU
VT Carilion
EVMS
UVA (only because I'm in state and I've done all my shadowing there, so I have LORs from UVA docs)
UWash
Wake Forest
USC Greenville
U Colorado
U Iowa
GWU
Marshall
WVU
University of Louisville
UNC
Penn State
Edward Via Osteopathic School

I'd love any advice about these, or tips on some different schools I have a better shot at. I know my stats are extremely average, if not less, but I'm a pretty strong writer so I'm hoping I can just talk about my experiences in cool, insightful ways to show med schools I'm very serious about my passion for medicine. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can take out UNC- their stats requirements for out of state students are much higher than their medians. Also UWash is notorious for only taking students from the Pacific Northwest. I think you need to add a few more private schools, as many that you have chosen are public schools that don't take a lot of out of state applicants.

U Washington accepts less than 1% of applicants who are not from states in the Northwest. UNC, Louisville, Iowa, Colorado, USC Greenville are state public schools that accept few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. Consider these schools instead:
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Tulane
Creighton
NOVA MD

Members don't see this ad :)
You can take out UNC- their stats requirements for out of state students are much higher than their medians.
Does the MSAR provide differentiated stats for in-state vs. out-of-state matriculants?

Does the MSAR provide differentiated stats for in-state vs. out-of-state matriculants?
Yes.

Edit: it depends. If by stats you mean GPA/MCAT, then no. If you mean #applicants, #interviews, #matriculants, then yes.

Yes.

Edit: it depends. If by stats you mean GPA/MCAT, then no. If you mean #applicants, #interviews, #matriculants, then yes.
Sorry, I meant by GPA/MCAT. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
The new MSAR does differentiate between stats (GPA and MCAT) of in-state and out-of-state applicants that have been accepted and those that actually matriculated.

The new MSAR does differentiate between stats (GPA and MCAT) of in-state and out-of-state applicants that have been accepted and those that actually matriculated.
Since when?! This is revolutionary.

Yes it does. The problem with interpreting those stats for non residents is that includes non residents who matriculate who are legacies, URM, attended the undergraduate school or are former residents. Schools such as UNC, Louisville and South Carolina interview only 3% of non residents applicants and that percent is certainly lower for those non residents who have no connection to the state.

I hate to be that guy providing "I know a guy" responses lol but really, I know a guy that got into U of Louisville as a CA resident with no ties to the area so idk, if you have some extra money to throw around you can try applying.

I just remembered this from my application year. UNC used to publish the numbers on their website, but I am not sure if they do anymore. I didn't know that the MSAR started doing that, but that's really good info to have available!

Yes it does. The problem with interpreting those stats for non residents is that includes non residents who matriculate who are legacies, URM, attended the undergraduate school or are former residents. Schools such as UNC, Louisville and South Carolina interview only 3% of non residents applicants and that percent is certainly lower for those non residents who have no connection to the state.
Interesting, and good to know! Assuming the GPA/MCAT stats for out-of-staters admitted to state schools is higher than the in-staters, is the % from out-of-staters so low that it has minimal impact on the overall GPA/MCAT of the matriculating class?

Is there any notable difference in in-state vs. out-of-state stats at private schools?

Add Medical College of Wisconsin

U Washington accepts less than 1% of applicants who are not from states in the Northwest. UNC, Louisville, Iowa, Colorado, USC Greenville are state public schools that accept few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. Consider these schools instead:
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Tulane
Creighton
NOVA MD

Thank you for your advice, I've decided to add on 5 of your suggested schools, so we'll see what happens!
I do have a follow up question: My MCAT score is pretty unbalanced (125/130/125/130), do you think that I will still have a shot at an II despite that?

Thank you for your advice, I've decided to add on 5 of your suggested schools, so we'll see what happens!
I do have a follow up question: My MCAT score is pretty unbalanced (125/130/125/130), do you think that I will still have a shot at an II despite that?

My subsection gap was the same as yours (5 points) with only a 1 point difference overall and I got four interviews - all to schools on the list that Faha posted.

Reactions: 1 users
Try UCF and U of Miami as well. UCF is very OOS friendly and I loved the school. Maybe throw in Dartmouth?

My MCAT was very unbalanced (124 CARS, other sections 129+), and I got 5 accepts! I don't think it is a factor, ESPECIALLY since all of your subsections are at least 125+

Also add in Georgetown if you aren't afraid to kiss butt!

Try UCF and U of Miami as well. UCF is very OOS friendly and I loved the school. Maybe throw in Dartmouth?

My MCAT was very unbalanced (124 CARS, other sections 129+), and I got 5 accepts! I don't think it is a factor, ESPECIALLY since all of your subsections are at least 125+

Also add in Georgetown if you aren't afraid to kiss butt!
I'd considered them, but my husband is adamant that he refuses to live in Florida, so even if I got accepted it would be a nightmare trying to get him to live down there :shrug:

I'd considered them, but my husband is adamant that he refuses to live in Florida, so even if I got accepted it would be a nightmare trying to get him to live down there :shrug:

Don't apply if you won’t go. It’s a huge issue if that turns out to be your only acceptance.