ladymiresa

2+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2015
St. Louis, Missouri
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi all! MCAT scores were released yesterday. Overall, I'm very pleased with my score but am slightly concerned about the subsection distribution.

I scored 521 with a breakdown of 127/132/130/132. I feel like the C/P sticks out like a sore thumb. I averaged a 130 in that section on all my practice exams, so I guess it was just a bad section for me that day. Or the nerves of realizing that I was actually sitting for the MCAT got the best of me! Anyway, I'm wondering if someone can give me insight as to whether this might hold me back, despite the overall high score. I checked MSAR and for many of the schools I'm interested in, the 10th percentile for C/P is at or above 127, so that's slightly discouraging. Can I still apply to these schools?

THANKS

Last edited:

Zenabi90

2+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Can we take a step back for a second?

521. FIVE. TWENTY. ONE. Past 90th %ile right there.

With 2 132s. TWO of them.

Stop worrying, stop humble-bragging, 127 is still above the 50th percentile, don't worry you'll be fine.

bears1992

2+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Wow. Very unbalanced. I will do you a favor and trade you my very balanced 126/126/126/127 for your "all of the place" 127/132/130/132.

There are probably less than 10 schools in the country that would feel uneasy about your MCAT score.

About the Ads
OP
ladymiresa

ladymiresa

2+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2015
St. Louis, Missouri
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for the replies, but I'd appreciate constructive responses. Im not trying to humble brag. I acknowledged that it's a high score and that I'm very pleased. But I've also read that you shouldn't apply to schools where you're below their 10th percentile. I feel that I was pretty direct in my question... does that "rule" apply to subsections, and should I withhold from applying to schools where C/P 10th percentile is >127.

Even high scorers have questions! I don't think that warrants shame.

bears1992

2+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for the replies, but I'd appreciate constructive responses. Im not trying to humble brag. I acknowledged that it's a high score and that I'm very pleased. But I've also read that you shouldn't apply to schools where you're below their 10th percentile. I feel that I was pretty direct in my question... does that "rule" apply to subsections, and should I withhold from applying to schools where C/P 10th percentile is >127.

Yeah but you could make a great case to why you'd be able to get it with a stat below the 10th percentile. Your total score and CARS/PS score is going to be in the 90th percentile for most schools so I think having your C/P in the 10th percentile for those same schools is no big deal.

Zenabi90

2+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I understand that. But I also feel you need to take a step back because you're not seeing the forest due to focusing on a single tree.

Just take it into perspective. 521 MCAT is an amazing score, and if you take a look, the difference between 127 and 130 is just a few questions. By no means is it a serious weakness. If I were an adcom (and I'm not) I'd be more focused on glaring deficiencies on CARS and Bio. C/P would get some leeway because its the first section, and P/S gets fatigue factored in.

But you're worried about a subscore, when the application basically is:
-MCAT and GPA gets you in the door for secondaries
-PS and secondaries get you into interview
-Interview gets you matriculation

521 should get you in the door, and personally, if a medical school rejected my application because of a 127 on C/P on a 99th percentile MCAT score... is that really a school with the right priorities for judging its applicants? I would think twice about a school like that.

Reactions: bears1992

Chromium Surfer

2+ Year Member
May 24, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Don't worry at all! You're fine even for the most competitive places.

Lizzym is an adcom at a top school that highly values the MCAT. She said for them they want 3 subsections above 130, and one other section that's no lower than 126.

So you are good to go!

Enjoy the cycle :)

OP
ladymiresa

ladymiresa

2+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2015
St. Louis, Missouri
Status
Pre-Medical
I understand that. But I also feel you need to take a step back because you're not seeing the forest due to focusing on a single tree.
Thank you. I do believe adcoms take a holistic perspective and that I am much more than just my GPA/MCAT. I hope my stats are good enough to "get me in the door", as you say, and that other parts of my application can seal the deal.

Don't worry at all! You're fine even for the most competitive places.

Lizzym is an adcom at a top school that highly values the MCAT. She said for them they want 3 subsections above 130, and one other section that's no lower than 126.

So you are good to go!

Enjoy the cycle :)
Very interesting and definitely confidence-boosting. @LizzyM , is this accurate?

C/P game weak
duuuuude I know. so frustrating, since that's what I studied the most. :p

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Yes, that's typical of the applicants I've interviewed in the past cycle and this cycle.

Reactions: ladymiresa
Jul 25, 2017
Can we take a step back for a second?

521. FIVE. TWENTY. ONE. Past 90th %ile right there.

With 2 132s. TWO of them.

Stop worrying, stop humble-bragging, 127 is still above the 50th percentile, don't worry you'll be fine.
521 is well into 99th percentile and a 127 is about 75-80th percentile

OP should be fine even top 5

About the Ads