Is Neurology required for any residency positions

Started by basmoq
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

basmoq

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I'm an allopathic student and have recently heard rumors that some surgical residency positions require that the student has taken Neurology at some point. A neurology rotation is not a part of my schools curriculum in the third year, so if this is true, I'll have to waste an elective on it during my fourth year.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks!
 
Hi, I'm an allopathic student and have recently heard rumors that some surgical residency positions require that the student has taken Neurology at some point. A neurology rotation is not a part of my schools curriculum in the third year, so if this is true, I'll have to waste an elective on it during my fourth year.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks!

Obviously you would have a tough time getting into a neurology residency without having taken neurology. And it would be tough to work in IM, EM, rads, neurosurgery without some med school level neuro background. It is somewhat covered on Step 3. A bunch of med schools make neuro one of the core rotations, so a large percentage of folks will have taken it, but I don't know if it's required.