Is NYU a top-tier school? compared to Tufts, Einstein, SUNY Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycli

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that USNews rankings don't mean that much, but in general public opinion is NYU SOM top-tier? I like the school a lot regardless, but I'm curious about the public perception of the school. If I'm thinking of going into surgery, would I be better off at NYU, Tufts, Einstein, or SUNY Downstate?

Members don't see this ad.

i would say in public opinion, no. but who cares? top-tier school is a subjective thing...just go to the school you felt most comfortable at during your interview

The public doesn't think of any school as "top tier" only anal rententive pre-meds like all of us...my grandparents/parents/friends parents/friends etc. have absolutely no idea where their physician went to school...basically if they need something done they talk to other people and if someone has had a great experience with Dr. X they go to Dr. X...it doesn't matter where Dr. X went to school when it comes to the general public at least in the midwest.

Members don't see this ad :)
where you go to med school has nothing to do with your going into surgery. any med school is fine. i agree with the previous posters, don't worry which is a top school-go to the school where you feel comfortable and where you can afford. after experiencing your clinical rotations, you can make a more informed decision about which specialty you are interested in. then you can make the important decision of finding a quality residency.

Out of those four NYU probably has the best name but either of those schools will be fine. You gotta perform in order to match into the residency of your choice so pick a school that you believe has the best environment for you to do well in.

CTSballer11 said:
Out of those four NYU probably has the best name but either of those schools will be fine. You gotta perform in order to match into the residency of your choice so pick a school that you believe has the best environment for you to do well in.

Exactly. My advisor said NYU's rep is largely due to how the public perceives the undergrad and therefore they are also impressed with the med school. Remember at the end of the day it's your performance that's going to land you a surgery residency.

TriniToDeBone said:
Exactly. My advisor said NYU's rep is largely due to how the public perceives the undergrad and therefore they are also impressed with the med school. Remember at the end of the day it's your performance that's going to land you a surgery residency.

NYU's reputation comes from NYU Law and the Stern School of Business, not the undergrad or med school.

TheMightyAngus said:
NYU's reputation comes from NYU Law and the Stern School of Business, not the undergrad or med school.

The NYU hospital is pretty nice -- they may get the rep from that too. To the OP, NYU and Einstein are pretty close in rank, and neither is Top 20. Tufts is just a small drop in rankings below that, but may suffer the misfortune of being the low end school in the city of Boston, since there are so few there.

TheMightyAngus said:
Don't forget Tisch. One could argue it's the best of any of the schools at nyu.

nycli said:
I know that USNews rankings don't mean that much, but in general public opinion is NYU SOM top-tier? I like the school a lot regardless, but I'm curious about the public perception of the school. If I'm thinking of going into surgery, would I be better off at NYU, Tufts, Einstein, or SUNY Downstate?
NYU has always been considered a highly prestigious med school.Many of the students there just missed getting into the super prestige schools.NYU reputation in medicine is very strong.As for the public..they know nothing about med schools,certainly not the others.
NYU matches its grads at very strong programs.You can be a surgeon from any of the named schools but NYUs name will carry clout.

hell yea, NYU is prestigious. They're ranked as the 17th most med selective school in the country and the 7th most selective in the Northeast.

I heart NYU

I took a course with MD/PhD students at NYU Med and, from my experience, I have to say NYU professors are VERY tough on you and expect a lot from you. Looking back, I think it was beneficial for my learning, but such style wasn't necessary - efficient teaching can be done in other ways. Overall, I don't think NYU is a good fit for me (my learning style and personality), but may be great for others. I really think one should pick med schools based on fit, where they would do their best and succeed.

Will Ferrell said:
hell yea, NYU is prestigious. They're ranked as the 17th most med selective school in the country and the 7th most selective in the Northeast.

that's because of the city, not the school.

NYU is really not a "top-tier" school in terms of reputation, but it's a perfectly fine school. You'll get a great education there. In fact, in retrospect, if I could choose it again, I would've picked NYU.