Is Oct/Nov too late to do an audition rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cowboy DO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
November seems late, but technically its before they make their final decision.

Members don't see this ad.

No, it's not, provided you have already been offered an interview, or can still get one at that point (which you usually can). I think it's a good time for an audition rotation because you're right there under their nose when they're starting interview season.

I know someone who did an audition rotation in February, which allowed her to evaluate the program as she was making her ranklist, and also shined for the program as they were making theirs. She matched there, so it must have worked.

I did mine from the end of sept until thanksgiving. I was offered invitations to interview before I even started the electives. I went into a relatively noncompetitive field, so I was confident that I would get interviews there anyways. If you think there is a good chance you wont get an interview without an away elective, then you probably would want to do it before november. Finishing the elective sometime by the end of October should be about the latest you should rotate at a program at which you feel you are likely not to be offered an interview without it.

scholes said:
I did mine from the end of sept until thanksgiving. I was offered invitations to interview before I even started the electives. I went into a relatively noncompetitive field, so I was confident that I would get interviews there anyways. If you think there is a good chance you wont get an interview without an away elective, then you probably would want to do it before november. Finishing the elective sometime by the end of October should be about the latest you should rotate at a program at which you feel you are likely not to be offered an interview without it.

Scholes or anyone else that did rotations in November or thereafter. What do you guys feel about doing interviews WHILE doing an away rotation. Does it look bad? Sometimes you don't have a choice, I wonder how they view you.

Oct/Nov are not too late. In fact, you can combine your rotation with the interview. If you really like the place, make sure that you don't take much time off from the rotation for other interview. I did my away rotation in Oct and it worked out fine for me. :smuggrin:

ukdoc74 said:
Scholes or anyone else that did rotations in November or thereafter. What do you guys feel about doing interviews WHILE doing an away rotation. Does it look bad? Sometimes you don't have a choice, I wonder how they view you.

This is a tough one. I went on two interviews while on my second away rotation in November. I did one at the place I was rotating and the other at that hospital's main competitor on the other side of town...lots of bad blood between them. I wanted to do both of them since I was from out of town and was already in this city for the elective. I didn't want to come back a second time. It did not affect me since I matched there as I hoped. But I also rotated with one of the most laid back and fun attendings I have ever met, so that made it easier. Considering the risk of looking bad, I would try to only interview at the place at which you are rotating during the elective and try and do the other interviews at a later date. If you get your application in early enough, you will likely have a lot of flexibility regarding the date of your interview and be able to schedule them later in the season.

On the flip side, is August too early for an away rotation?

Bounty said:
On the flip side, is August too early for an away rotation?

no - i did an audtion in august (right after taking step 2 of boards) - and i did one in january (and october ... and november). programs generally interview until the end of jan - and make their rank lists early to med feb (i think they are due ~ the 20th).

the plus about scheduling one in august is that if you do well - you can ask for a letter from your attending and that should help you a lot at that particular program, in general. however, i wanted my very first audition to be kind of a practice - so i scheduled it at a place that was less competative and was not my top choice (in case i was still not up to speed) - but still a place i would rank in the middle (this basically secured a 'back up' rank since i did ok. if i didn't do ok - then i have not lost my shot at my top 3).

then i scheduled a rotation in sept / oct at my #1 choice - worked very hard - got a letter of rec from one of the attending there. you can still submit all you application materials 1-2 weeks after it opens - just leave one of the letter boxes unchecked, and that way you may be able to send the additional letter later

your rank list may change significantly after your interviews from what you think - so learn as much about the programs as possible, and select those months smartly.

also - on my january audition, when my attending offered to write me a letter, etc - i first thanked them, and second - just asked if they could give the PD a call or an email to give him some feedback. this is not official - but it definitely still helps!!

one bit of advice - you may consider leaving a 2 week block open in december (or take a whole month off if you are applying to something competative) so you can do lots of interviews without having to miss days from you auditions - or schedule an ER month if they will let you stack your shifts together

this experience is based on applying to internal medicine - so other specialties may be different