Is optometry a realistic option for me? Need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhereCanIGo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I started college as a chemistry/pre-optometry major, but wasn't completely sure that was what I wanted to do and was discouraged by a couple optometrists who didn't like their jobs, so I decided after about one semester not to go the optometry route. I stuck with the chemistry through the end of sophomore year and then I ended up transferring this past year (junior year) to another school to major in nutrition science.

At my first school I had a 3.5 GPA (GPA could have been higher if I hadn't taken my study abroad semester pass/fail, because I would have had a 4.0 that semester). This past year at my new school, however, I had some personal issues and really, really screwed up my grades. I now have a 2.0 cumulative GPA. (I will be a senior this coming year, but due to transferring I already have to stay an extra year anyway so two more years left.)

The thing is, I've realized over the past few months that optometry genuinely is what I want to do. This is the first time since I've been in college that I can say with certainty what I want. But now I feel like it's too late.

I'm retaking the classes I did bad in this summer/next semester to help raise my GPA, and, hypothetically, if I pull myself together and do really well these next two years I could pull off a decent GPA.

Another problem is, my pre-reqs aren't that great. I did decent in most of them, but I did end up with a C+ in organic II (by the time I was taking this class I knew I wasn't going to stay a chem major and foolishly didn't care as much). One thought is, would it be crazy if I got my bachelors degree and then spent some time after graduation retaking the pre-requisite classes before applying to optometry school? Would this help? Plus, I took almost all of my pre-requisite classes before I studied abroad, and I barely remember anything! I don't think I stand a chance at doing well on the OAT at this point in time.

What do you think? I know its hard to judge based on a couple paragraphs of info about someone, but would you say that optometry school is even possible for me at this point? Or should I move on and look for a more realistic/attainable career?

Members don't see this ad.

It's never too late! I would advise, before anything else happens, that you make sure optometry is the field for you. You've been doing a little flip flopping ... Perhaps read what current optometrists think on the Optometry subforum as well as talk to real living breathing optometrists in person.

Okay, so if you decide optometry is your path - work on that cum. GPA. Do whatever necessary to get it to above a 3.0 while at your undergrad institution. This includes taking summer and winter break classes if possible. Also, take upper level science courses and do well in them. I actually think upper level courses are easier than the introductory classes because teachers aren't so stringent on grading on a curve and are more available to the students since the class is usually a smaller size. A C+ isn't a transcript killer. I got a D in Org. II and still got plenty of interviews (that D was my wake-up call to get it together). It doesn't speak highly of optometry school admissions but to be fair, I had an upward trend GPA-wise at a good college and good OATs.

Why would it be crazy to retake classes after graduation? That sounds ... logical. If your GPA still needs work after you graduate, retake prereqs you got a C or lower in. In all honesty though, your time may be better spent doing a postbac or getting a masters. It looks better.

Also, make sure you have plentiful and diverse shadowing experiences. Doing research couldn't hurt, either.

But most importantly outside of your GPA, do well on the OAT. I did not dig up my old prereq notes to study for the OAT - I got the KAPLAN DAT, OAT Achiever, and ExamKrackers Physics book. Read more about what you could do in the OAT section.