Is Oral Surgery still male-dominated?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swindoll

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do women still have a harder time getting into the 4 and/or 6-year OMFS programs?

Members don't see this ad.

theres a gender specific preference in residency matching for OMFS? I did not know this....

theres a gender specific preference in residency matching for OMFS? I did not know this....

Well, that's what I'm asking.. I don't know if it's true, but if you look at male:female ratio of residents at certain programs, it definitely seems to be that way! Some schools haven't had a female OMFS resident in YEARS!

Members don't see this ad :)
i think its a matter of number of applicants.... pure ratio ... more males apply and accepted than females. i personally know a female who is first in a number yrs to not only be in the OMS program...but the FIRST DMD/MD candidate. she's starting her MD 2 yrs in the fall.

its a numbers game if you ask me.

Reactions: 1 user
i think its a matter of number of applicants.... pure ratio ... more males apply and accepted than females. i personally know a female who is first in a number yrs to not only be in the OMS program...but the FIRST DMD/MD candidate. she's starting her MD 2 yrs in the fall.

its a numbers game if you ask me.

I hope you're right :)

It is for sure a #s game. Not many women are willing to work a surgeons hours (atleast during residency!); more men are, so more men apply

There are some programs that don't accept women. A buddy of mine is about to do OMS and the program directors basically specified as much. But I honestly don't blame them, to a degree. Stats show that women work less hours and have less longevity in the profession... by a significant amount. OMS is highly specified training. All things being equal, a director may choose to select the candidate that he thinks will yield the most production for the training, and thus reflect highly on the program and director. On the other hand, he may be a misogynist. C'est la vie.

I certainly have met female dentists that decided against omfs because they heard it was bias against them. The reasoning was that omfs is extremely demanding and pregnancy was a concern during residency. Not for the resident, but the burden of the workload gets put onto everyone else on that small team. This was the old school thinking and I don't know how valid this still was today.
(Back in the day , forget omfs , even dentistry had barely any women)